Yamaha YHT-S400 Soundbar, Anyone?

ash123

Hi All: I am thinking of buying this to complement my Panasonic 42" G10 plasma TV and BD60 Blu Ray player. The reason I am thinking of a soundbar is because I need it purely for TV and bluray purposes. I rarely listen to music. And frankly I think having 6 speakers in a 5.1 setup is an overkill, a wiring nightmare and will collect too much dust in my high rise apartment in the millennium city (gurgaon :sad:)

1) Any comments on this soundbar? Ownership experiences?
2) I am getting a price of 28k in Gurgaon for this. Is this good or can I do better?
3) It says the speakers are at 10% THD. Is it good? BTW most other systems don't mention THD for speakers, only for Amplifiers.
4) Any alternatives I should consider in < 30k range?

Thanks.

You cannot expect Deep bass and home theatre kind of clarity from sound bars.. Ofcourse yamaha makes it better. Sound bars are meant for people who wants to avoid clutters of wires and who wants less space to occupy....

It says the speakers are at 10% THD. Is it good? BTW most other systems don't mention THD for speakers, only for Amplifiers.

That is because, it is an active speaker i.e. Amp to drive the sound bar drivers are built in. 10% THD is very bad figure I guess.

Any alternatives I should consider in < 30k range?

Lifestyle systems like Bose & Logitech are for people like you but would involve some amount of wiring.

Trust me I was a sound bar crazed guy and checked out all sorts of sound bar in US. The sound bars are good but you will only get 2.1 effect. If you really need surround you better move to 5.1.

Hi Madbullram,

I read quite a few threads pertaining to Soundbars and it appears like you are the expert in this area :)

I have a very straight question:

I have almost finalised on the Onkyo TX-SR608 for the AV receiver (Hopefully if I am able to strike a good deal) and a pair of floorstands from Polk Audio Tx300/400.

Now, does it makes sense to buy a mid-range soundbar instead of the Polk audio floorstands? My living area is open on 2 sides and hence a 5.1 is almost ruled out for me and hence wondering if its better to invest in a 5.2 soundbar, instead of the floorstands?

Cheers,
Pannags

Hi Madbullram,

I read quite a few threads pertaining to Soundbars and it appears like you are the expert in this area :)

I have a very straight question:

I have almost finalised on the Onkyo TX-SR608 for the AV receiver (Hopefully if I am able to strike a good deal) and a pair of floorstands from Polk Audio Tx300/400.

Now, does it makes sense to buy a mid-range soundbar instead of the Polk audio floorstands? My living area is open on 2 sides and hence a 5.1 is almost ruled out for me and hence wondering if its better to invest in a 5.2 soundbar, instead of the floorstands?

Cheers,
Pannags

Soundbars wont give you complete Surround and lot of other zipped effects that are packed in a 5.1 system. You can start building up the system by buying 2floorstanders and a center later add the sub and dipole/bipole surrounds.... And there is no TX series in Polk it is TSI 300/400 ... TSI 400 is really good but not sure if it can be well paired with Onkyo.... Mind you floorstanders need a fairly large room (preferbly with good accoustics) ....IF your choice is more movies and regular TV watching go for a good 5.1 system..

Deftech Cinema 600/800 (expensive)
Qacoustics 1010i/2000 cinema package (pairs well with Onkyo)
Energy Take classic 5.1 (moderate)

Good Luck.

Pan: I am no expert but a enthusiastic listener :)

1. You have finalized an AVR, is your question now is, is better to go with AVR + Polk or good mid range sound bar?
2. What is a 5.2 soundbar? Can you refer some model?
3. You have an open living area, all the more reason you should not be looking at a soundbar. Sound bars rely on reflection. They are tuned to reflect so that they can simulate a 5.1 kind of effect.

See this:
PV_ysp4000_features_illus.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again (and again) Kittu1977 ...

Well! It appears to me that a pair of floorstanders are better compared to any sound bar ...

But should look at something other than the TSI 300 or 400 (sorry for the incorrect model type) to pair with my Onkyo 608 (will be buying in the near future hopefully)??

My requirement is:

1. Music - Played everyday, almost everything except hard-metal or hard-rock. Clarity and not volume is my priority.
2. Movies - Once in a week or fortnight at least.

My room size is approx. 160 sq. ft (but the dining is adjoining and additional 80 sq. ft - no walls in between)

Are floorstanders an overkill for this setup? Can you suggest alternatives to TSI 300/400 for my setup?

Basically, I'm madly in love with the asthetics floorstanders offer :D

Thanks,
Pannags

Thanks again (and again) Kittu1977 ...

Well! It appears to me that a pair of floorstanders are better compared to any sound bar ...

But should look at something other than the TSI 300 or 400 (sorry for the incorrect model type) to pair with my Onkyo 608 (will be buying in the near future hopefully)??

My requirement is:

1. Music - Played everyday, almost everything except hard-metal or hard-rock. Clarity and not volume is my priority.
2. Movies - Once in a week or fortnight at least.

My room size is approx. 160 sq. ft (but the dining is adjoining and additional 80 sq. ft - no walls in between)

Are floorstanders an overkill for this setup? Can you suggest alternatives to TSI 300/400 for my setup?

Basically, I'm madly in love with the asthetics floorstanders offer :D

Thanks,
Pannags

No denying on the asthetics but if you pairup bookshelves on nice stands (refer to magmas thread on stands) they look even more better..... If you are not going for hardrock or metal mostly american brands will have thump+punch.Since you narrowed down on AVR you shld wait till the AVR comes take it along with you for auditions audition different speakers.. 160 sqft is too small unless it is 20*8 room for FS setup..... Sellers will tell you 8 to 10 feet is enough but its not true you need fairly large room. Again your ears or the best judge so audition as many as you like.:cool:

OK Sir ... shall decide once the AVR arrives ... btw, do dealers allow us to carry our AV sets into their showrooms? what do you mean by auditions??

OK Sir ... shall decide once the AVR arrives ... btw, do dealers allow us to carry our AV sets into their showrooms? what do you mean by auditions??

Most of them dont initially but definitly you can convince them :) . Audition is basicly listening to the setup in HFV terms :p I dint know it either before I joined HFV .. I thought what is this auditioning am I going for Indian Idol :lol: or listening to AV system.

Thanks Madbullram, will do just that.
Only one thing, I started with an intention to buy a soundbar and then aspired to buy a pair of floorstanders (can't resist the looks) and now convinced that a decent pair of bookshelves are all I need ... it pays to reasearch and understand what you need .... Thanks to all for your valuable inputs.

Trust me I was a sound bar crazed guy and checked out all sorts of sound bar in US. The sound bars are good but you will only get 2.1 effect. If you really need surround you better move to 5.1.

he's absolutely correct!....even i was looking for one and was shocked/irritated by the demo's....it can never sound anythng more thn a 2.1!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Madbullram, will do just that.
Only one thing, I started with an intention to buy a soundbar and then aspired to buy a pair of floorstanders (can't resist the looks) and now convinced that a decent pair of bookshelves are all I need ... it pays to reasearch and understand what you need .... Thanks to all for your valuable inputs.

What did you buy finally?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back