Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar Or Compile a System

terrible

I have a living space rectangular in shape. The space between the television and person sitting is about 13 feet, with the length of the room being approximately 27 feet.

Being a novice I can't make up my mind if I should go for Yamaha YSP 2500, which has great reviews. Or should I compile something. If I have to compile then I would require your help to do so. My budget could go upto about 1.5 lakhs. And I would like to buy something that will work even if I move to a much larger space.

Thank you.

Soundbar works on the principle of reflections of sound for making 5.1. It greater advantage ,is it is a compact system
If ur rooms have more windows or any obstruction then the true surround will be difficult for that room length of 27'.
You have a very good budget if you don't have any space constraints for accomdating separate speakers .You can go for a AVR with Floor standing speakers as front(It is good for larger rooms) with a sub woofer initially .Later you can add on surround and center speaker if required.
Please let us know your like of watching either movie or music accordingly our FM members can suggest you.

Hi Terrible,

Based on what you have mentioned it seems that you would need to go for a 5.1 or a 7.1 system which is powerful enough (future proof) incase you move in a bigger place...

This means you will need a big avr which delivers not less that 100w RMS per channel at 8 ohms or 140-150w at 6 ohms...You could look at Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, NAD, Yamaha, etc. for AVRs....these AVRs would alone cost between 55k - 90k depending on which model and brand you zeroise.

In terms of speakers, you will definitely need towers, you could look at Boston Acoustics or Yamahas or Pioneer (Andrew Jones) or Jamos......depending on 5.1 or 7.1 the speakers will cost anything from 30k - 70k......

Since you are based in Mumbai...it would be advisable to visit the many dealers in South Mumbai, Bandra and Andheri and audition the systems that appeal in appearance, performance and budget...prepare a list...shortlist and let us know ...we will then advise you further.....end of the day...trust your ears and demo with your kind of music....all the best

Soundbar works on the principle of reflections of sound for making 5.1. It greater advantage ,is it is a compact system
If ur rooms have more windows or any obstruction then the true surround will be difficult for that room length of 27'.
You have a very good budget if you don't have any space constraints for accomdating separate speakers .You can go for a AVR with Floor standing speakers as front(It is good for larger rooms) with a sub woofer initially .Later you can add on surround and center speaker if required.
Please let us know your like of watching either movie or music accordingly our FM members can suggest you.

I'll upload some pics of what the room looks like to give you an idea of space where the system will be used. Maybe you'll be able to advise better. And the thing about music and movies is concerned. I am very much into both, so it'll be great to get recommended something that works for both. The distance you will see between the camera and the TV is what needs to bee taken into account. However, I do need to keep the future in mind so if soundbars aren't a good idea, I don't mind compiling.

Here are the links of the Living Room:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujygh5xj7tzikrs/Living 1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s31s550bxkahgh/Living 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti2ud3tkgn8l35e/Living 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sldy9tv5hy3mm8/Living 4.jpg?dl=0

Hi Terrible,

Based on what you have mentioned it seems that you would need to go for a 5.1 or a 7.1 system which is powerful enough (future proof) incase you move in a bigger place...

This means you will need a big avr which delivers not less that 100w RMS per channel at 8 ohms or 140-150w at 6 ohms...You could look at Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, NAD, Yamaha, etc. for AVRs....these AVRs would alone cost between 55k - 90k depending on which model and brand you zeroise.

In terms of speakers, you will definitely need towers, you could look at Boston Acoustics or Yamahas or Pioneer (Andrew Jones) or Jamos......depending on 5.1 or 7.1 the speakers will cost anything from 30k - 70k......

Since you are based in Mumbai...it would be advisable to visit the many dealers in South Mumbai, Bandra and Andheri and audition the systems that appeal in appearance, performance and budget...prepare a list...shortlist and let us know ...we will then advise you further.....end of the day...trust your ears and demo with your kind of music....all the best

Greatly appreciate your advice. Would like you to still advise on specific models, 'coz I have been told that technology doesn't always move forward with sound. There could be older AVRs or speakers that are better than the newer ones. As I am a complete novice and making a compilation or a major purchase concerning sound for the first time.

Thank you.

I have been told that technology doesn't always move forward with sound. There could be older AVRs or speakers that are better than the newer ones. As I am a complete novice and making a compilation or a major purchase concerning sound for the first time.

Thank you.

That's absolutely true. The newer models are more strong on DSPs, networking and other connectivity options and HDMI and 4K 2.2 Etc with added surround sound formats like DTD X, Atmos etc.

So in todays life style, the latest one is better. But be quick to decide and stick to your budget before some one drops a Bomb:p with AVRs and speaker options

That's absolutely true. The newer models are more strong on DSPs, networking and other connectivity options and HDMI and 4K 2.2 Etc with added surround sound formats like DTD X, Atmos etc.

So in todays life style, the latest one is better. But be quick to decide and stick to your budget before some one drops a Bomb:p with AVRs and speaker options

You actually bring up a good point and I think the workaround has to be something that straddles integration as well as good sound. Given newer formats and different gadgets talking to each other, it'll be foolish to ignore this aspect. So I guess I'll work with both in mind.

Hi Terrible,

Marantz you can look at the 5010 series which is somewhere around 67-83k.....the older models like 5009 and 5008 will be cheaper....though availability is a big question mark....this is a 7.2 avr......

Denon would be the x2000 onwards models.....price maybe a little cheaper that Marantz...both are made by the same company D&M holdings .....difference is that Marantz has a better built quality with high grade components...

For Pioneers, see the 800 onwards series......

If you are gonna change your AVR with time as technology develops....rather that dropping a huge amount on new stuff, you can also look at owning some preowned systems.....see the For Sale by owner section or even Hi Fi Ads....I am sure you will find something to your expectation.....all the best

Hi Terrible,

Marantz you can look at the 5010 series which is somewhere around 67-83k.....the older models like 5009 and 5008 will be cheaper....though availability is a big question mark....this is a 7.2 avr......

Denon would be the x2000 onwards models.....price maybe a little cheaper that Marantz...both are made by the same company D&M holdings .....difference is that Marantz has a better built quality with high grade components...

For Pioneers, see the 800 onwards series......

If you are gonna change your AVR with time as technology develops....rather that dropping a huge amount on new stuff, you can also look at owning some preowned systems.....see the For Sale by owner section or even Hi Fi Ads....I am sure you will find something to your expectation.....all the best

So taking your direction, I did a bit of finding out. These two zoned into:

Marantz SR6009 7.2-channel Home Theater Receiver with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth *NEW*

Denon AVR X4100W 7 2 CH A V Receiver With 4K AND Dolby Atmos AVRX4100W | eBay

Marantz SR5010 7.2 Channel 1400 Watts 4K Ultra HD & 3D AV Receiver - NEW RELEASE

I would go and hear them now somewhere. It seems its cheaper to get it through ebay, what would you recommend. And while I am at it, which speakers should I look for?

What does this mean:

OUR MARANTZ RECEIVERS ARE ALL 110 VOLT ONLY SO ON MOST COUNTRIES YOU WILL NEED TO USE A STEP DOWN TRANSFORMER

Hi,

This means that the AVRs are 110v and in India we use 220-240v....so you need a step down converter to make it work on Indian electrical supply....

There are ample AVR dealers in Mumbai, why don't you check the prices with them and also audition?

If a new one is out of budget, you can go for pre owned and also use it for a while...later you can sell off and update accordingly

Hi,

This means that the AVRs are 110v and in India we use 220-240v....so you need a step down converter to make it work on Indian electrical supply....

There are ample AVR dealers in Mumbai, why don't you check the prices with them and also audition?

If a new one is out of budget, you can go for pre owned and also use it for a while...later you can sell off and update accordingly

Thank you for that info.

So far, I have gone to ProFx and checked out Denon AVR-X3100 with Polk Rti A9. I am not a sound expert but here's my tiny summary. It sounded great on high volume and mid but seemed a little unclear at low volume. I also found the combination slightly lacking in providing body or depth to the sound. The salesman said it was more to do with the amp as it was not powering it up sufficiently. He is going to make me hear it later in the week on X4200. I have come to the conclusion that it's better to go for 4200, because in Mumbai 4100 is stupidly enough, the same price.

These are the ones on the list (some with price) I am checking out soon.

AVRs

- NAD 748 V2, 758
- Denon AVR-X4200 Rs. 1,50,000 before 15% reduction
- Marantz SR 6010 Rs. 1, 11,000 (without negotiation)

Speakers

- Polk RTi A9: Rs 1,15,000 (without negotiation)
- B&W: 683 S2 Rs. 1,50,000 (without negotiation)
- Tannoy: Revolution XT6F
- Elac: Debut Series F5
- Harmon Kardon: Revel 106

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of these. Thank you again for helping.

Hi

Have you visited Lakozy at Chowpatty? He sells PSBs....they work well with NAD or Marantz.....There is a another PSB dealer at Lamington Road.....he also deals in AVRs etc...

Remember one thing, most of the dealers keep the AVRs at optimal settings as per audyssey setup.....most of the times this auto setup fails and you need to tweak the speaker levels and adjust the EQ (if present) for each speaker to get optimal output.

Surprised that the Denon 3100 was not able to drive the RTi A9 well.....

If I had a budget to spare, I would have purchased Definitive Technology Studio 55 or 45 bookshelf speakers, a SVS subwoofer and a Marantz 5010 or 6010 and with the right settings enjoyed the music experience.....ofcourse would add the other speakers required for a cinema setup.....any speaker which sounds well for music will definitely perform well for gaming or movies....end of the day...it is all on personal choices....

Hi

Have you visited Lakozy at Chowpatty? He sells PSBs....they work well with NAD or Marantz.....There is a another PSB dealer at Lamington Road.....he also deals in AVRs etc...

Remember one thing, most of the dealers keep the AVRs at optimal settings as per audyssey setup.....most of the times this auto setup fails and you need to tweak the speaker levels and adjust the EQ (if present) for each speaker to get optimal output.

Surprised that the Denon 3100 was not able to drive the RTi A9 well.....

If I had a budget to spare, I would have purchased Definitive Technology Studio 55 or 45 bookshelf speakers, a SVS subwoofer and a Marantz 5010 or 6010 and with the right settings enjoyed the music experience.....ofcourse would add the other speakers required for a cinema setup.....any speaker which sounds well for music will definitely perform well for gaming or movies....end of the day...it is all on personal choices....

Yes he asked me to go to him the last. Once I am done listening to stuff in other places. He is going to demo NAD for me. He suggested Harmon Kardon for speakers, I'll check them out too. Someone told me PSB's are really expensive. Do you have any particular PSB in mind?

Interestingly, I enquired before he played, if Audyssey was up. The Profx guy was concerned about the AC hum in the room. He said it would read incorrectly. So I asked to Equalize according to the sound I like. Must admit, I do not know how to read an equalizer, but when I get the sound I know.

Well when I told him about the depth issue at low volume on A9, this was his response. But I will go back to him and check it out with 4100 as well as 3100.

On Definitive Technology, I will definitely try what you just recommended. Tomorrow I go to Sharper Image to check out B&Ws and Marantz 6010. Will get back on that.

Hi Terrible,

All the best....B&Ws are expensive.......I guess for the Definitive Technology you may need to visit the Andheri authorized dealer......the Definitive sub is not really happening but the bookshelfs are worth an audition...carry your music and decide....

So I checked out B&W 683 S with Marantz 7009. The sound is quite beautiful. Well rounded with immense clarity in high and mids. In relation to A9, even the lows were much cleaner and clearer. If I compare the B&W 683S to RtiA9, then the former is a sophisticated gentleman, to the A9 which is sharp and out there. Really liked B&Ws. Sharper Image quote is B&W 1,35,000 and Marantz 6010 around 92,000.

In the next few days I think I'll manage to hear the rest. Oh and by the way I took my CDs and flac files. Thank you for that footnote.

Last edited:
Hi Terrible

Great to hear that you have found something which appeals to you.....B&Ws are expensive but work very well with Marantz...you tube has a couple of videos....maybe perhaps one day if budget permits...will own them......

I guess the 5010 would be able to easily drive the 683s....check with other dealers who can offer cheaper rates and then go ahead.......Focal also are good speakers....

Hi Terrible

Great to hear that you have found something which appeals to you.....B&Ws are expensive but work very well with Marantz...you tube has a couple of videos....maybe perhaps one day if budget permits...will own them......

I guess the 5010 would be able to easily drive the 683s....check with other dealers who can offer cheaper rates and then go ahead.......Focal also are good speakers....

Round two of listening was good, especially in the sense that I got closer to understanding what I myself like in terms of sound. I heard Klipsch RP-80F on some Brit amp (who's name I forget). They will give me another demo with Marantz SR 6010 next week sometime. No other option but Marantz because thats what they deal in. Getting back to the sound of Klipsch, it sounded powerful and aggressive, much like RTi A9 but with lot more clarity and definitely lot less fatigue. At low volume, I could get very good clarity and depth. That impressed me as much as B&W. If you have heard these, wonder what you feel.

Then I went and heard Tannoy Revolution XT6F with Denon AVR-X 4200 (only option for demo). The sound was well rounded and defined. Even on high volume this speaker did not hurt at all. Except I think I heard a bit of bass distortion or reverberation at the volume of 75. This was while listening to Chris Rea's 'Stainsby Girls'. Is this because of the amp or the speakers not managing well? At low volume, these speakers were very clear, though I think I lost out on an instrument or two.

Still trying to figure out where I could listen to Focals.

Just wanted to recheck a fact with the experts here. A friend of mine told me that I should avoid Marantz in Mumbai as they seem to be adversely affected by the humid climate here because of the sea. They become dysfunctional after two or three years. Is there any truth to this?

Hi

The rumours about Marantz being an issue in Mumbai is nonsense...I am using Marantz now for close to 4 years .....changed models..

if you can come to south Mumbai...go to Fairdeal....meet Imran......he knows me as Eddie....he has focals....and Marantz....if you like something there.....he will rope in a good discount....all the best....

Hi

The rumours about Marantz being an issue in Mumbai is nonsense...I am using Marantz now for close to 4 years .....changed models..

if you can come to south Mumbai...go to Fairdeal....meet Imran......he knows me as Eddie....he has focals....and Marantz....if you like something there.....he will rope in a good discount....all the best....

Hi

Good to hear that. Reassuring if I go for Marantz. I clearly like it over Denon.

I live in Parel so South Mumbai is close left. Is this the place you are talking about: Tower Speakar, Focal Chorus 816 V Tower Speaker

Thank you for this info and help.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back