Yet another DIY stand!!

rams1977

I made a DIY stand recently for my stereo speakers. To start with i put a max budget of Rs. 1500.
I searched for some speaker stands in the net and finally settled for TNT design which is simple and attractive too.
The stand i did with help of a local carpenter( he is a graduate and does this part-time) who was not only good but also accomodative.
I gave him the basic design based on TNT design. We customised the basic design a little bit.We used the following materials:

1. MDF boards - 1" boards size 9"x6" 2 Nos., 12"x12" 2 Nos.
2. 3" PVC pipe - 2 Nos. (length 2.2m)
3. All threaded rods - 2Nos. (length 2.2m)
4. Washers,Nuts,Popper bushes
5. Fine River sand

Preparation:
1.MDF boards laminated with Mica sheets. This is easy which carpenter can do.
2.The PVC pipe. The challenge is to cut them even on the sides. Hacksaw would not work. So i gave this to a workshop
and cut the PVC to length, machined on both sides. final length of PVC 2 ft. This took some time.
3. PVC was spray painted.
4. Threaded rod. To make the stand more stable, we modified the TNT design a little bit and welded a MS plate
at the one end of rod. Also, the rods were cut to length. 2'2" length.
5. Two half-inch wooden boards in circular shape which can fit inside the PVC of each stand (so that sand spill out
of PVC after stand is made.)

Assembly:
The assembly is actually top-down approach.
1. The welded rod inserted on the top board, screwed firmly.
2. PVC with circular wood filled with sand firmly packed.
3. The base screwed to the other side.
4. Popper bushes in place.

Cost:
Boards, Mica - Rs. 500
Labor - Rs. 300
PVC lathe cutting - Rs. 100
Welding - Rs. 20
Popper bushes, cutting materials - Rs. 40
Spray painting - Rs. 100
Threaded rods - Rs. 170

Final weight of stand about 10 Kgs. Now the sound from 9.2 is more refined and clear. Good midrange and firm bass.

Attachments

• Stand.JPG
    Stand.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Its a LG DVD player, and a Sony tape system (for cassette playing). I know they are not exactly what someone would couple with a Marantz, but for now (budget constraints), this is the only viable option. :eek:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back