your fav. listening format - CD/Lossless/Mp3/Vinyl?

From Video tapes > VCD > 2.1 DVD > 5.1 DVD > High Definition Video > 3D.
From Vinyl > tape Cassettes > Audio CDs > different formats > High Defination Audio.

Hope that explains what is coming ahead for CDP sellers and Audio CD format.
Few will still stick to what they prefer, just like Vinyl lovers.

For me it mp3 @ 320 kbps.

@Hemant, thanks for your list of sources which shows how blindsided I am by the "popular" choices!! Since DVD-A and SACD are on the fringes of most peoples' source list, I did not think of them, also Radio! As you said, we can discern what trends are making people part with their money! We are buying CDPs but we are increasingly listening to FLACS, going by a quick check of this thread! Just last night, I was wondering why I would ever need a CDP when I have tons of Flacs! Interesting.

Hi Srini. I am just curious to know what's the dominant format people use! This question is prompted by the numerous enthusiastic discussions here about buying CDPs. This led me to believe that people do listen to audio cds & are seriously interested in buying reasonably priced CDPs. Looks like a lot of people are tripping on FLACs!

It is evident here, all are going in Flac route:)

FLAC seems to rule here! I have about a 1k cds and tons of FLAC. Wonder if I will ever need a dedicated CDP. Hmm...looks like I might need a media server. The search begins...

If I had such a huge collection, I'd never think of flacs. CD's experience is full and whole. I realized this at HFV meet@HYD. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Now, people on squeezebox forums swear that flacs via Rega DAC sound better than Rega Apollo CDP. Only Hydra can confirm this here on HFV;)

:lol: I don't know why I am laughing...

Sorry Raghuram..for some reason you got banned. Time for introspection.

FLAC seems to be an overwhelming fav. here! How do you guys stream your stuff - PC/Soolos/Squeezebox/others?

I personally use the following for FLAC:
1. PC with Asux Xonar Essene ST
2. Xtreamer

Though I admit that music sounds better (marginally or on a larger scale) out of a CDP, than the FLAC/PC combo, I would still stick to FLAC/PC as it is very convenient to organize the albums and tracks.

Example, I may have 6 favorite numbers in a dozen of CDs, I cannot afford to access the CDs and CDP several times, in addition to changing tracks, etc.:lol:

Maybe I am lazy! I typically combine listening to music with other activities.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Example, I may have 6 favorite numbers in a dozen of CDs, I cannot access the CDs and CDP several times, in addition to changing tracks, etc.:lol:

Maybe I am lazy! I typically combine listening to music with other activities.

+1. I listen to music while browsing or working on pc. (Is it really listening?:cool::rolleyes::D). Most of my collection are in 128 kbps mp3. I don't care about this low bitrate, as most of these songs are old ones and the quality is bad in itself. For new songs I download 320kbps. Since I listen on my laptop speakers, there is not much difference between 320kbps and FLAC. I have a few FLACs as well.

+1. I listen to music while browsing or working on pc. (Is it really listening?:cool::rolleyes::D)

Irrelevant to this topic:

Don't know if majority would agree on the above! "Listening-music-doing-nothing" happens on a very rare occasion (can't imagine one readily), maybe while buying or testing an equipment or listening to new song/album/lyrics; even then we're essentially coupling it with our assessment.

Cheers!

FLAC seems to be an overwhelming fav. here! How do you guys stream your stuff - PC/Soolos/Squeezebox/others?

I use Squeezebox Touch to listen my flac collection. I might add a DAC, probably Rega once I have nice speakers to couple with my RA06 amp. I might start looking out for speakers from this August.:yahoo:

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back