YPbPr Vs HDMI

sameeradvani

Hi

I have Philips Pixcel Plus-II TV which has AV3/AV4 Digital High Definition input connections. It has YPbPr input. The Y, Pb and Pr jacks and to the L and R AUDIO jacks to accept high definition signal standards 1080i and 480p.

Today DTH providers are providing HD set top boxes which has HDMI & YPbPr output available.

Since my TV does not have HDMI port will it be wise decision to go for HD set top box with YPbPr connectivity for better clarity of tv channels over normal composite AV cable.

Or normal AV cable is better than YPbPr cable.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
Sameer

HD Channels on YPbPr Port

Will I be able to receive HD channels on my TV connected to Airtel HD Set Top Box via YPbPr cable

Thanks
Sameer

See if you want Audio DTH/Dolby/5.1 etc you need a HDMI cable as its single hybrid cable that caters to both AV. If u r purely consedring Video, all 3 types i.e. DVI, HDMI n YPbPr are able to deliver HD as they have the necessary bandwidth. The primary diff being that HDMI n DVI carry digital signals n YPbPr n Composite carry Analog signals. Since yr box does not have HDMI n if yr TV does not support 1080p, u should be least bothered. This is a long debate n u need to get into the nitty gritty of all this. Difference between Component n composite can be noted on Large HiDef tvs but if you have a very good source n you dont have that good eye, u will hardly notice the difference. Sice you have a HiDef box, I will still advise you to go for a YPbPr cable of good quality

Last edited:
See if you want Audio DTH/Dolby/5.1 etc you need a HDMI cable as its single hybrid cable that caters to both AV. If u r purely consedring Video, all 4 types i.w. Composite, DVI, HDMI n YPbPr are able to deliver HD as they have the necessary bandwidth. The primary diff being that HDMI n DVI carry digital signals n YPbPr n Composite carry Analog signals. Since yr box does not have HDMI n if yr TV does not support 1080p, u should be least bothered. This is a long debate n u need to get into the nitty gritty of all this. Difference between Component n composite can be noted on Large HiDef tvs but if you have a very good source n you dont have that good eye, u will hardly notice the difference. Sice you have a HiDef box, I will still advise you to go for a YPbPr cable of good quality

Composite is SD only. It can carry max 480i signal. Please edit your post and modify the wrong info posted.

YPbPr does makes a difference. I have seen this everywhwere.
Composite video can not handle HDTV singnal where as Component can although both are analog. It will give more clear image any time due to 3 different colour bands instead of 1. You are lucky than you have one of best Tvs available in India. Please us HD Box without second thought. You will not regret.

More information can be found at
List of video connectors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Composite is SD only. It can carry max 480i signal. Please edit your post and modify the wrong info posted.

thanks so much sir. 480p is mentioned in Philips user guide.
today i got HD set installed but unfortunately i did not find component YPbPr cable due to 15th Aug all shops were closed.

I tried using AV cable in YPbPr jack, i could not get any video however when i connected to audio. it worked.

Just waiting for the YPbPr cable to see the difference between Composite n Component display.

I am only looking for good video clarity not much bothered about audio.

thanks so much

today i got HD set installed but unfortunately i did not find component YPbPr cable due to 15th Aug all shops were closed.

I tried using AV cable in YPbPr jack, i could not get any video however when i connected to audio. it worked.

Just waiting for the YPbPr cable to see the difference between Composite n Component display.

I am only looking for good video clarity not much bothered about audio.

Out of context - I remember reading earlier that Component can handle max of 720p/1080i and we need HDMI for 1080p. Is this true?

In order of Quality:

HDMI > Component VIDEO RCA > S VIDEO > COMPOSITE RCA > BNC

I have 35 ft High end component video cable which I run on my DVD player. If in case I want to upgrade my dvd player to BLU ray player and want to watch 1080p using my projector ( assuming my projector is also 1080p) , can I do it. Or is it hdmi is needed for all 1080p signal transmission.

Thanks
Pandu

Irrespective of the theories behind the capabilities of Component cables there is simple fact you must not forget. All sources including DVD Players will transmit 1080P signals ONLY through DVI or HDMI.

The 35 feet high end component cable be used as a standby. Keep it connected between the source and the projector. But you must lay an HDMI cable if you want to see 1080P.

Cheers

if u are talking about the 35 feet HDMI cable, make sure its the latest and from trusted sources. Older cables may give a 'sparkling effect' and u may not enjoy quality video over long runs.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back