10 ohm speakers 4 ohm amp

Allan Ferrell

Hello all, First I'll start with the fact I know zip about electronics..I need some help...I need tunes on my Harley.I have a mimi 500 watt 2 channel amp (4 ohm system) and a pair of Sony IS10 speakers (10 ohm) not enouh volume before speaker static. I like these speakers because they are about the size of a golf ball,and I do not want or have room for these big 4" monsters. Alsi I am using an Apple ipod for music. Can I make this work? I was told to add two more speakers to change speaker impedence from 10 to 5. Will this work and then will I get some decent volume? I do ride with a windshield. Greatly appreciate all help and comments. Thanks very much.
Allan..Palm Bay,Florida
[email protected]

Hello all, First I'll start with the fact I know zip about electronics..I need some help...I need tunes on my Harley.I have a mimi 500 watt 2 channel amp (4 ohm system) and a pair of Sony IS10 speakers (10 ohm) not enouh volume before speaker static. I like these speakers because they are about the size of a golf ball,and I do not want or have room for these big 4" monsters. Alsi I am using an Apple ipod for music. Can I make this work? I was told to add two more speakers to change speaker impedence from 10 to 5. Will this work and then will I get some decent volume? I do ride with a windshield. Greatly appreciate all help and comments. Thanks very much.
Allan..Palm Bay,Florida
[email protected]

Hi Allen,

A good buddy of mine has a 2" version of the following on his Honda F6.

Series 3 Universal Harley 3 Premium System [4405-0015] - $449.95 : Cycle Sounds, Motorcycle Accessories

He suggests atleast a 2 or 3" speakers with min 50 watts/ch amp. The above link is a 100 watts and should hold good for you for the rides. Also I know that Harmon Kardon sells through the Advanced Audio Systems channel. Depending where you are in FL, you can find an authorised installer.

Back