10 ohm speakers 4 ohm amp

Allan Ferrell

Hello all, First I'll start with the fact I know zip about electronics..I need some help...I need tunes on my Harley.I have a mimi 500 watt 2 channel amp (4 ohm system) and a pair of Sony IS10 speakers (10 ohm) not enouh volume before speaker static. I like these speakers because they are about the size of a golf ball,and I do not want or have room for these big 4" monsters. Alsi I am using an Apple ipod for music. Can I make this work? I was told to add two more speakers to change speaker impedence from 10 to 5. Will this work and then will I get some decent volume? I do ride with a windshield. Greatly appreciate all help and comments. Thanks very much.
Allan..Palm Bay,Florida
[email protected]

Hello all, First I'll start with the fact I know zip about electronics..I need some help...I need tunes on my Harley.I have a mimi 500 watt 2 channel amp (4 ohm system) and a pair of Sony IS10 speakers (10 ohm) not enouh volume before speaker static. I like these speakers because they are about the size of a golf ball,and I do not want or have room for these big 4" monsters. Alsi I am using an Apple ipod for music. Can I make this work? I was told to add two more speakers to change speaker impedence from 10 to 5. Will this work and then will I get some decent volume? I do ride with a windshield. Greatly appreciate all help and comments. Thanks very much.
Allan..Palm Bay,Florida
[email protected]

Hi Allen,

A good buddy of mine has a 2" version of the following on his Honda F6.

Series 3 Universal Harley 3 Premium System [4405-0015] - $449.95 : Cycle Sounds, Motorcycle Accessories

He suggests atleast a 2 or 3" speakers with min 50 watts/ch amp. The above link is a 100 watts and should hold good for you for the rides. Also I know that Harmon Kardon sells through the Advanced Audio Systems channel. Depending where you are in FL, you can find an authorised installer.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back