1080p Full HD Media Player suport most formats (INR 3000)

looks promising and good for that price.. but cannot be sure until some one gets it for hand on experiece..

it got no digital audio out.. so to get 5.1 if you have AVR with HDMI .. then it can work.. else no option..

DTS is listed.. besides that.. no HD audio.. however u can bear with that as the price is too good..

as far as you dont need network and internet service and just want to play HD movies on TV.. it will be a very good deal..

Sammy posted on other thread that Asus oplay mini is available for 3500/- and its got all DTS - HD and HD Audio capabilities.. Check it out.:)

Sammy posted on other thread that Asus oplay mini is available for 3500/- and its got all DTS - HD and HD Audio capabilities.. Check it out.:)

It was mentioned as 3500 but practically never got to see the price of it in a single website.. even if we get to see there are no sellers for the product..
Asus mini should come around 5.5 or 6k including everything i guess.. End of the other thread guyz were discussing the same..

This one looks VFM.. But anyways will have to wait till one gets to test it..

Just curious to know, (I've posted my query earlier and tried to get a response but to no avail),

Does this product do any Video upscaling as well?
Now that I've asked this question (i'll wander a littel off topic to ask), is any player listed below does Video Upscaling?

- WD TV Live PLus
- Xtremer
- AC Ryan PlayOn HD
- Asus Oplay

By Video upscaling I intend to ask, if I throw a 700 MB/ 1GB DVD Rip at this layer, would it be able to give any better A/V playback quality as compared to if I played with the file directly through my PC or by connecting it to the USB port of my TV?

Thanks in advance

If you had read the long running posts abt so many MP,you wld have come to know that most of them can upscale to 1080p.

Correct me if I am wrong - Going OT again,
what I understand from Upscaling is the ability to produce an image/ video at a higher resolution that in which it was actually recorded.
Now the question arises - Is resolution the only ingredient to identify (video) quality? From the common Notion, Full HD (1080p media) is always better quality than HD Ready (720p media).

I can quote the eg of an MP3 v/s a Wav file. An MP3 is a compressed form of a WAV file, which truncates the extreme high and low frequencies which human ears can't detect easily. Hence you get the huge reduction in File size but not much reduction in quality/ clarity (at least for regular users). But for audiophiles, an MP3 is always inferior (in quality) to a WAV file no matter what bitrate the MP3 file was encoded at.

So I deduce, ripping a Blue Ray/ DVD into a 700 MB DVD rip, would reduce the video quality and clarity as well, to fit the media into a 700 MB file. Now, here I am not sure, if there's a loss in the Video Resolution as well. Your expertise needed here.......

So when you say the most common MPs in the market today upscale the video, do you mean they upscale the compressed video to HD quality?

Coz when I researched the internet it told me otherwise.

Source - Video scaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mods - apologies for bantering in this thread, you may move this post to an appropriate thread and please inform me of that, if applicable.

Thanks.

By Video upscaling I intend to ask, if I throw a 700 MB/ 1GB DVD Rip at this layer, would it be able to give any better A/V playback quality as compared to if I played with the file directly through my PC or by connecting it to the USB port of my TV?
Your TV (assuming it is an HD or HD ready) already has a upscaler built in, so I think the question should read

Will it (media player) do a better upscaling than the TV's built in function if you play it from your PC or USB on TV itself ?

And at this price point do we really expect this to give good results ?

Agreed - Thanks for correcting me.
And also or the trivia that the TV has an Upscaler built in it.

What you pointed above is exactly what I wanted to compare.
Quality of Playing a file on this Media Player versus playing it directly on the PC/ TV through USB versus playing it on the High End Media Players in the market mention in my above post?

Now the Answers :) ?

Last edited:
Just extending this question.

What is the difference if I play the movies from my HDD connected directly to my TV (Full HD) through USB and playing the movies using HD Media player through USB/ HDMI?

it got no digital audio out.. so to get 5.1 if you have AVR with HDMI .. then it can work.. else no option..

Will be using an HDMI+5.1 capable AVR.

DTS is listed.. besides that.. no HD audio.. however u can bear with that as the price is too good..

Would HD audio be required for DVD rips? Can live without it I guess.

as far as you dont need network and internet service and just want to play HD movies on TV.. it will be a very good deal..

I was hoping for someone to bring me the WD live from the US, but it has fallen through.

Requirement is maximum format compatibility and also upscaling and decent picture quality.

It was mentioned as 3500 but practically never got to see the price of it in a single website.. even if we get to see there are no sellers for the product..
Asus mini should come around 5.5 or 6k including everything i guess.. End of the other thread guyz were discussing the same..

Thats true VFM & product of Asus.:clapping:

What is the availabity of the o-play? I asked a store via phone on SP road and i remember him quoting this at 6k range?

Whats important to find out is which chipset it uses. The bare minimum acceptable chipset is the Amlogic 8626H which does Full HD rather nicely, but can choke on badly encoded files. Looking at the UI screens, it didnt appear to be a stock amlogic unit (I have one , so I know)

But thats besides the point. I did not notice any usb ports on the pictures, which is rather alarming, and this is the 1st media player I've seen with a PC output, which kinda defeats the whole purpose if you're gonna hook it to a computer monitor. Also in the specs its mentioned" External Memory Capacity - SD Card: 32GB - USB Drive: 32GB" does that mean this device can't read from an external 250/500 gb HDD. Troubling indeed. I think it's best to avoid this unit.

Just an FYI, decided to go with Samsung BD c5500 player which doubles as Blu-ray / Media player....mind you more than 3 times the budget of this player being discussed here.

Retina,

i will also have to buy either a M Player or BD+ M Player.. so may be you can help me on that... btw how much did you pay for it ?

Retina,

i will also have to buy either a M Player or BD+ M Player.. so may be you can help me on that... btw how much did you pay for it ?

The Samsung cost me 10.5 INR and 1 year warranty. Should be cheaper in Mumbai.

I think Media player technology is still evolving and another year should see significant improvements and cost reduction of these devices.

I agree to an extent, baring to my thread I specially went to nehru place to check and its true that I could not find the product. If some one has enquired from ASUS itself then share it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I think Media player technology is still evolving and another year should see significant improvements and cost reduction of these devices.

This will always happen on every year in all areas. May be all the TVs themselves will support all the formats and you wont need a media player for current types of files. But again there will new formats on net and only latest media players will support them. This is a never ending game.

question: What you want and what point of time? Some people are still happy with Doordarshan for weekend movies and some are eager to wait for latest 3d blu-rays.

My WD player support every type of file i have and powers & plays 750GB USB HDD flawlessly

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back