14 vs 16 awg - 2 vs quad cables

TheCoolestOne

Hello all,

I am in the process of setting up my new HT in a room measuring 11 x 15ft with a viewing distance of 10ft. My system comprises of:

AVR: Denon 1912
Fronts BS: Wharfedale 9.2
Centre: Wharfedale 9CS
Rear: Wharfedale 9DFS
Sub: undecided and yet to buy

I am in the process of laying out the cables (internally / concealed in the wall thru tubing) and require advise on the following areas:

1. Which brand - Blue Jean, Audioquest or DAC
2. 14 awg for all speakers or 14awg for fronts and 16 awg for surround
3. I would be bi wiring the fronts so is it ok to go for 2 seperate sets of wires or does it make a difference using a single quad wire (apart from the convenience of course)

Some light on the above would help making a correct decision as the wires would be concealed so need to get it right.

the speaker gauge depends on the length of wiring. Longer length wiring would meag lower gauge.. for example.. you would prefer AWG12 to AWG 14 over runs of > 9 meters.

In general AWG14 gauge should be fine.

Please restrict your speaker and interconnects budget to approx 10% of the value of your system. No point in having very expensive cables costing thousands for budget systems. ( please take this statement positively )

In general Audioquest makes good cables. The audio quest Sidewinder IC are VFM. Blue Jeans also has been discussed in this forum. Some of my speaker cables are currently bandridge make.

Sub - there was a group buy for SW150 - Wharfie - check that out

regards,
mpw

Thanks for your input mpw.

The 10% thumbrule is something I would be sticking by. I do believe in spending where it matters :) and I do take advise positively especially when its bang on correct :)

Any heads up on where the audioquest / bluejean would be available in Mumbai? The DAC i ahve already sourced it to their importer but have been unable to source a dealer for Audioquest / bluejean as yet.

The Wharfie SW150 was recommended to me by someone but I was also interested in the Klipsch SW450 and the Velodyne 10.

Just settle for the SW150. It is cheaper too and would match well with an all Wharf setup. I must say there are good reports of the Klipsch and Velodyne too.

Audioquest - contact pawan at The den in Worli at [email protected] or 9821289308.

Bluejeans can be paidfor and imported directly. Their website is pretty easy to use.

rgds,
mpw

Thanks mpw I will check out The Den. I did check out the bluejean website a couple of days ago but preferred picking the cables up locally if ther were available.

Right now I've just hooked on the speakers to my old WiCab Cables to burn them in over the weekend. I was using the WiCab for my old HiFI and had some spare left over :)

The best vfm and quality for cables and connectors available here is that by MX audio. 14 awg ofc transparent for inr 100/m. Look up their website MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac and realise once and for all that ignorance is not (always) bliss, LOL, sometimes, knowledge is power, IMHO.
You can get lo-end than this or go higher with MX. Why go for firangi when desi is better and better it is. The next best option is to go for Belden of US. The Indian dealer is a FM here but I fail to recall his name, Mumbai based.
HTH

Trittya, thanks for the info. A mate of mine has some spare MX and I'm gonna try source some Audioquest and test out both in this coming week once my speakers are broken in nicely.

Let me know if you remember the name of the Belden dealer. It would help out.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back