1980's Philips Hi/Fi Stereo Turntable

nraghunadh

Philips 242 is very good belt drive Turntable with classic 700 cartridge with stylus.

Last edited:
Very pleasing. Well organised. What are your impressions on the sound?? Thanks for posting...Gopi

Not trying to hijack this thread,

But I have same TT bought used last year, but having few issues

1. Accidently I damaged cartridge pin, since then it started playing only one channel, so not sure if I change Cartridge will it fix the problem. IF yes then can I use any one of following for replacing

Shure M97xE
Shure M25C
Audio Technica CN5625AL

2. I think my table is spinning with bit high speed, do I need to change all the belts and if where I can source them.

I am planning to buy cartridge from 20North.

Anticipating some help in above.

Regards
Rajesh

Hi,

I to have the same model Philips GA 242, has a Shure 44-7 cart. Sounds Awesome.. Kittu I will be posting in the owners sales section very soon.. more details will be provided there.

Reynold

can the informed folks pls advise on how to get rid of turntable rumble . ive got the philips 242 and its grounded to my akai am-u02 amp yet the rumble on the speakers ... :(

can the informed folks pls advise on how to get rid of turntable rumble . ive got the philips 242 and its grounded to my akai am-u02 amp yet the rumble on the speakers ... :(

The rumble can be caused by various problems like platter bearing
or even a bent platter.
As a workaround, you can get a rumble filter. If you are a DIY
type, see ESP Project 99. Cheap, and works well.

Subsonic / Rumble Filter for Phono preamps and Sub-Woofers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back