46" LED TV - Confused

mathan

I'm trying to buy a 46" LED TV and checked out some TV's in Chennai (Viveks and Vasanth & Co). All I am looking for is a good picture quality. I use Xbox, media player, BR player and have Airtel HD all connected to Onkyo Receiver. Presently I have a 32" Samsung LCD. I checked out (or was rather shown by the sales man) two LED TV.

LG 47LS 5700 - Rs.73,000
Samsung 46ES 5600 - Rs.78,500

The price differed between Rs.1000 to Rs.1500 between both the showrooms. Both the LED's looked good. The sales guy was explaining all options on the `Smart TV' but I am not sure if I would need all those things he listed. My budget would be around 60K to 70K and I would be buying it on finance scheme as there is no interest during this new year period. I would be watching mostly BR movies, HD movies and HD sports through DTH.

Please suggest me a reasonably good 46" LED TV for my preference.

I've looked at the LG myself just 2 days back when i bought my TV and the PQ with LG is not really that great.

I currently own a Sony HX-750 (95,000) and the black levels were much much better in sony than in LG.

This particular model does not have 3D so that's something you will miss if you choose this.
3D is not the be all and end all to decide a TV but its a nice feature to have , trust me the experience is something different (Especially Active 3D)

When i was fiddling with the LG display controls no matter what i did i was just not able to get the right color ratio .. it was always a bit dull for my liking while the sony was a breeze to configure and with just minor adjustments i was able to get really crisp PQ.

In the 2 days that i've used it i've watched many HD (both 720p and 1080p) movies and i can easily tell you that the experience in sony is better than LG

Sony would be above my budget but no doubt that would be the best. However Samsung should be the next best thing or is there any other TV with good pic quality. I am not much interested in all the extra things that we hardly use and which inflates the price. How about Panasonic or Toshiba? Is there a good range in 46" in both these brands. Heard that Toshiba is selling it with very good discount to capture the market share. Is the pic quality good in Toshiba?

The LG website has priced the 47" model LM 6400 as 107000 which is way above my budget and also I am not keen on a 3D T.V now. Samsung EH5000 is not in stock with Croma. The sales guy tried to push the newer models. Need to check out with some other dealer also on EH5000. I think it is a Series 5 and old one but if the pic quality is good I would like to go for it provided it is still available in the market. Anything else available in this price range for 46" with good pic quality.

Mathan: You can also check with vaibhav of J D Electronics Chennai for good pricing. He has given our forum members some good discounts in the past. Refer our forum for discounts.

Mathan: You can also check with vaibhav of J D Electronics Chennai for good pricing. He has given our forum members some good discounts in the past. Refer our forum for discounts.

Thanks Ram. I shall check out. I think Vaibhav is in Kilpauk J D Electronics.

Samsung 46" EH5000 is not available in any showroom in chennai. I've seen in some of the post here that it costs around 56K to 57K. Also in ebay it costs around 56K obviousely a grey market piece. However most of the dealers here in Chennai are maintaining that this model would cost upward 65K though it is out of stock(or maybe made to be). Even Croma maintains that it would be priced around 65K. J D Electronics also does not have stock now. Can anyone please suggest 46" Samsung/LG/Toshiba LED around 56K which is availabe with dealers.

Toshiba 46PS20 is available around 56 at Buy Toshiba LED TV 46PS20, 46 Inch LED Price, Best LED India - Infibeam.com but I really doubt the quality of SD picture and fast moving scenes.

Good thing: 3 year warranty

Checked this out in a local dealer shop. When I demoed it the HD channels and the bluray demos discs were excellent. When I asked them to switch to SD and watched the sports channel, there was a lot of lagging in response time (I think it has 8ms response time). If it was a 32" TV the lagging would not have been probably noticeable but the lagging is very much noticeable in 46" especially in SD channels due to I think 8ms response time. Except for this the TV is excellent and the pic quality is good for this price and also has 3 years warranty. Seems like I have to up my budget to get a good 46" LED.

Checked this out in a local dealer shop. When I demoed it the HD channels and the bluray demos discs were excellent. When I asked them to switch to SD and watched the sports channel, there was a lot of lagging in response time (I think it has 8ms response time). If it was a 32" TV the lagging would not have been probably noticeable but the lagging is very much noticeable in 46" especially in SD channels due to I think 8ms response time. Except for this the TV is excellent and the pic quality is good for this price and also has 3 years warranty. Seems like I have to up my budget to get a good 46" LED.

I think you meant either smearing of the picture or judder/jerky movement.
Or is it ghosting? I am just curious about the term "lagging" and its relation to 8ms response time.

I think you meant either smearing of the picture or judder/jerky movement.
Or is it ghosting? I am just curious about the term "lagging" and its relation to 8ms response time.

I meant it was ghosting for a few seconds when there was fast action.

I'm trying to buy a 46" LED TV and checked out some TV's in Chennai (Viveks and Vasanth & Co). All I am looking for is a good picture quality. I use Xbox, media player, BR player and have Airtel HD all connected to Onkyo Receiver. Presently I have a 32" Samsung LCD. I checked out (or was rather shown by the sales man) two LED TV.

LG 47LS 5700 - Rs.73,000
Samsung 46ES 5600 - Rs.78,500

The price differed between Rs.1000 to Rs.1500 between both the showrooms. Both the LED's looked good. The sales guy was explaining all options on the `Smart TV' but I am not sure if I would need all those things he listed. My budget would be around 60K to 70K and I would be buying it on finance scheme as there is no interest during this new year period. I would be watching mostly BR movies, HD movies and HD sports through DTH.

Please suggest me a reasonably good 46" LED TV for my preference.

Samsung would be the best. I am having this same spec TV of series 5 ( but not smart TV), the TV is doing awesome.

If you dont need the Wi-Fi internet, try looking at other models so that the price will be low. If you dont bother about the price, look at some TV that has more than 100hz clear motion rate. Probably series 6 or 7 will have that...

Not sure about LG.

I feel its not good to go to Vasanth & Co. because the sales person will confuse you to the core. Viveks is a good choice.

OK. Why I was asking this is that many a times the improper source material is to be blamed rather than the TV itself. Suppose the source material is not properly conditioned to be played on a fixed resolution TVs, the ghosting is inevitable.
For example if the bluray/dvd transfer of a movie is not proper(additional frames are not added to compensate for the fast motion), ghosting is seen.
Also an LCD tv has its own way of detecting such fast motion and doing its own compensation.
Many a times we are left to wonder whether ghosting is because of the source or the display.;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back