5.1.2 possible under 100k?

So if all you want is a decent and immersive set up better plan the best 5.1 in a 1L budget. @rksingh1 is selling his Yamaha 585. If you can grab it for a good price and with the remaining money you can plan decent speakers and a subwoofer.

I would have if I could have. Shipping from Bangalore to Delhi is risky and expensive.

In that case and also since you’re going to be using it in a bedroom, imho, a good pair of bookshelves plus a sub is a better bet. Unless you have some magicos or focal sopras, most floorstanders will struggle to get anywhere near the same bass quality and quantity as a half decent sub. And yes, get a decent AVR if you can. I don’t think im going to miss floorstanders ever unless its a very big room where bookshelves will struggle to reach the requisite decibels. FYI, i have my speakers installed in my living room which is around 450 sq.ft. and my bookshelves do a more than adequate job of filling the space when coupled with a sub.

Noted. My room is around 200 sqfeet though.

I would suggest that for 100K, you start with a 5.1 system.
The overhead atmos speakers can be added later.

As suggested previously, a matched set of speakers will be cheaper.

For example, the Polk T Series Package.

Bargain hard with ProFX. You might even get it for 50K.

The Denon x1500h is an excellent entry level receiver.

These 2 together gives you a good entry level home theatre system.

Add overhead speakers for Atmos later, when you have funds.

So Taga Harmony 606v3 or Pioneer Todoroki are not good 5.0 packages for their price?

Oh, a lot brother.

For starters, the speakers we have, we need a good AVR to drive them to their full potential. Same Dali or Polk speakers driven by Denon 550BT and 2500x will give you good difference, not in terms of loudness, but in terms of quality of listening. So even though the AVR I have is good for entry level, I feel my Polk S55 towers can reach to its potential with better AVRs.

Second, if we are setting up the surround and atmos speakers with sub, having front tower may not have that impact and usefulness. My towers can go as low as 32hz - that was a great parameter when I bought them. But now, with xover settings, I not sending any low frequency to towers anyway and they all are going to my sub. Plus, the center channel and surrounds speakers do lot of heavy lifting and front towers, while they are good, get shadowed by the whole setup. So getting good quality bookshelves, would work as well, if the plan is to use for movies primarily - in surround/atmos mode.

I get to see the potential of front towers, mainly during my audio listening experience - and the quality coming from them, on stereo setup is good. So I am getting to use what they are worth in music listening mode.

What I did good and I feel good still, is to stage my whole purchase in various parts and not get everything at once. I got the towers and used them for a month, and then the center and then sub and not surrounds. So I have a good experience of what impact each speaker has mode to my setup.

We tend to focus more on front towers, but for an effective movie setup, center channel and AVR are more critical for experience.

Whatever @argho suggested above is very good. I have listened to that setup and they are great VFM. T50, T30, T15, and that sub are very good unit to buy for 50-55k + get the the 2500 or 685 AVR. That 5.1 setup will give you more immersive feeling than a budget 5.1 setup. Again, I haven't heard Taga 606v3, but these Polk T series speaker sets are good for the price.

With the list price of 65k, I am not sure how much room there is for bargain.

For reference, I have been using this for the last two years:

and I auditioned the JBL Bar 5.1 this week (with surround satellites) and I loved the surround experience when the guy played the opening scene of Mad Max Fury road via Amazon Prime.

So anything better than that + Atmos should be good enough for me. I have seen rave reviews of Taga 606v3 here on this forum, but in this thread, everyone seems to suggest to get something better. So if not for a budget 5.1 setup, what are these good for? I am just curious, not complaining or anything.

I would have if I could have. Shipping from Bangalore to Delhi is risky and expensive.

Noted. My room is around 200 sqfeet though.

So Taga Harmony 606v3 or Pioneer Todoroki are not good 5.0 packages for their price?

With the list price of 65k, I am not sure how much room there is for bargain.

For reference, I have been using this for the last two years:

and I auditioned the JBL Bar 5.1 this week (with surround satellites) and I loved the surround experience when the guy played the opening scene of Mad Max Fury road via Amazon Prime.

So anything better than that + Atmos should be good enough for me. I have seen rave reviews of Taga 606v3 here on this forum, but in this thread, everyone seems to suggest to get something better. So if not for a budget 5.1 setup, what are these good for? I am just curious, not complaining or anything.
Why don’t you have yourself a trip down to av zone in GK2/CR park. Its bang on the mainroad once you get down from the nehru place flyover if you’re coming from noida. Its going to be an enlightening experience and im willing to bet you’ll be reassessing your point of reference for what is a decent budget HT setup. :)

out of curiosity, which area of delhi are you placed?

Why don’t you have yourself a trip down to av zone in GK2/CR park. Its bang on the mainroad once you get down from the nehru place flyover if you’re coming from noida. Its going to be an enlightening experience and im willing to bet you’ll be reassessing your point of reference for what is a decent budget HT setup. :)

out of curiosity, which area of delhi are you placed?
I am at Malviya Nagar, so around 15 mins away from the AV zone. I am already planning to pay a visit there this weekend :)

already planning to pay a visit there

Visit and audition as many as you can. 100k is a good budget to get a movie experience going. What you said is good to begin with - people will always give you suggestions from their experience - it doesn't mean what you shortlisted is bad.

I'd say audition both - Taga 606 and Polk T and see if you are getting the difference or not. Also - the polk setup has a sub in it, so that is a good 5.1 setup.

Pioneer FS52 tower speakers have rave reviews - but they couldn't impress me. Key is audition - 100k is not a small amount and you should get the best bang for your buck (and the definition of best might be different for different people)

Visit and audition as many as you can. 100k is a good budget to get a movie experience going. What you said is good to begin with - people will always give you suggestions from their experience - it doesn't mean what you shortlisted is bad.

I'd say audition both - Taga 606 and Polk T and see if you are getting the difference or not. Also - the polk setup has a sub in it, so that is a good 5.1 setup.

Pioneer FS52 tower speakers have rave reviews - but they couldn't impress me. Key is audition - 100k is not a small amount and you should get the best bang for your buck (and the definition of best might be different for different people)
Thank you for the advice. The Polk setup can be a good option as it has a sub, for 50-55k, if I can bargain (something I am NOT good at). However I checked the sub and it has a frequency response range of 80-160 hz. Does it mean it won't fire for any frequencies lower than 80 hz?

Does it mean it won't fire for any frequencies lower than 80 hz

It'll fire, but at 80hz only. Frankly - thats a poor sub, but hey, I'd consider it coming for free with the rest of the setup.

Those T50 towers + T30 center + T15 surround alone will give you a good bargain for you 50-55k cost.

Thank you for the advice. The Polk setup can be a good option as it has a sub, for 50-55k, if I can bargain (something I am NOT good at). However I checked the sub and it has a frequency response range of 80-160 hz. Does it mean it won't fire for any frequencies lower than 80 hz?
A sub that can do only 80 isn’t worth investing. Look for subs that can reach till 30hz. If it’s rated till 80hz you will not get any strong output below 80 hz.

I have not heard the Pioneer Todoroki.

I have heard the Tagas only briefly at a friends place, and yes they are also a good VFM setup.

I have heard Polks quite extensively.
My personal view is that the T Series package from Polk is a really good value.

Ultimately, you need to audition and decide what sounds good to you.
That is the only way to be satisfied and happy :)

I am at Malviya Nagar, so around 15 mins away from the AV zone. I am already planning to pay a visit there this weekend :)
Then you must go for an audition before making any decisions on what you really want out of an HT. He has the entire lineup of XTZ subs on display including a few SVS’s and what is in my books, the best >50k sub viz. the Q Acoustics QB12. Try out the front towers in his setup with and without the sub. You’ll understand what im talking about. Also, try out the qb12 with a q acoustics 3020i. That combo may very well be what you’re looking for and it wont cost you an arm and a leg and should blow away anything you’ve heard.

p.s.- my apologies for making quite a few assumptions.

he also has a few polk audio speakers. Online reviews are all well and good but experiencing it in person is the real deal. The perception of sound isn’t the same for everyone so what may work for one reviewer may not work for the rest.

Then you must go for an audition before making any decisions on what you really want out of an HT. He has the entire lineup of XTZ subs on display including a few SVS’s and what is in my books, the best >50k sub viz. the Q Acoustics QB12. Try out the front towers in his setup with and without the sub. You’ll understand what im talking about. Also, try out the qb12 with a q acoustics 3020i. That combo may very well be what you’re looking for and it wont cost you an arm and a leg and should blow away anything you’ve heard.

p.s.- my apologies for making quite a few assumptions.

he also has a few polk audio speakers. Online reviews are all well and good but experiencing it in person is the real deal. The perception of sound isn’t the same for everyone so what may work for one reviewer may not work for the rest.
From the time I have spent on this forum in the last year or so, I know that all these names you mentioned (XTZ, Svs, Q accoustics etc) are wayy out of my humble budget.

While I do want to audition (and will do it this weekend), I am a total noob when it comes to speakers and I don't think I will be able to tell much difference. To my untrained ears, the Jbl bar 5.1 was great and I loved the surround experience I had with it. While now I can see the difference between a 50k TV and an LG OLED, I am not sure about speakers. But yes, Sunday is fixed for auditioning.

I don't think I will be able to tell much difference

I used to think the same. For me the Sony N9200 was the benchmark of surround audio and Bose was what premium audio meant.

Dont overthink - just go and demo it once. If you can't spot a difference, no point spending all the money and hassle - get the soundbar. But I know what is going to happen after the demo.

An update, I sent a WhatsApp message to the Pro-fx guys and received a call from them. The lowest avr they have for atmos is 1600h for 70k. When I said I can get 1500h online for 40-45k, they said there will be no warranty for any products being sold by sites like hifimart. Is this true?

For the Polk package, he offered a 10% discount at max, on the 65k price. Still a good deal with that underwhelming sub? Won't 606 V3 with a capable 30k sub be a better combo in this price?

An update, I sent a WhatsApp message to the Pro-fx guys and received a call from them. The lowest avr they have for atmos is 1600h for 70k. When I said I can get 1500h online for 40-45k, they said there will be no warranty for any products being sold by sites like hifimart. Is this true?

For the Polk package, he offered a 10% discount at max, on the 65k price. Still a good deal with that underwhelming sub? Won't 606 V3 with a capable 30k sub be a better combo in this price?
Well, hifimart says all products they sell have official warranty. The government of india has just announced the new consumer protection act and e commerce rules. If hifimart does not offer warranty despite claiming so on their website, they’ll be in serious trouble.

fYi, i have bought countless items on hifimart and never faced any issues. Anil is a real nice guy and very accommodating. Im surprised other retailers are bad mouthing him.

Well, hifimart says all products they sell have official warranty. The government of india has just announced the new consumer protection act and e commerce rules. If hifimart does not offer warranty despite claiming so on their website, they’ll be in serious trouble.

fYi, i have bought countless items on hifimart and never faced any issues. Anil is a real nice guy and very accommodating. Im surprised other retailers are bad mouthing him.
Exactly my thoughts. I have heard good things about Hifimart and Anil, so I was surprised when the guy said that the warranty claims on the website are a scam/lie.

How is the Polk t series package without the sub for 39k?

Speak to someone at ProFX and bargain harder. Focus on the T50 package.

If you are getting a better deal for the AVR on HiFimart - go with that.

I have always seen Profx playing this dirty game. When I wanted to pick up the S15’s they did not want to give out the price over the phone and wanted me to drop by to get a good price and when I went there, they did not offer a new price and wanted me to pay the same amount that’s listed on their website.
That’s ridiculous and when I asked why did they want me to come then they agreed to reduce 1K.
So that’s the last time I went there. I just don’t like the way they do business.

Minimum 15-20% discount from Mrp is what most dealers provide but only during purchase. During enquiry over phone they will never disclose the actual selling cost. Main reason is there are so many dealers available now and many get price from one dealer and negotiate better price to another dealer

I have always seen Profx playing this dirty game. When I wanted to pick up the S15’s they did not want to give out the price over the phone and wanted me to drop by to get a good price and when I went there, they did not offer a new price and wanted me to pay the same amount that’s listed on their website.
That’s ridiculous and when I asked why did they want me to come then they agreed to reduce 1K.
So that’s the last time I went there. I just don’t like the way they do business.

Fyi, the denon x3500h is available on hifimart for 75k. I seldom ever say this but the profx guys sound like crooks. At least their behaviour suggests so.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back