5.1.2 possible under 100k?

harryneopotter

So finally I have decided to take the plunge in this deep deep sea of Hi-Fi Audio. I was planning to get an Atmos soundbar (either LG or JBL) but then couldn't muster courage to spend this much for a sound bar. So after pondering for a while, I have convinced myself to go the hard route and get a dedicated system.

So, I have increased the budget till 100k but I want to have a surround setup as already have a decent 2.0 setup which I am upgrading from (Blaupunkt 2.0 active towers).

I am open to pre-owned deals but not able to find any in Delhi. So from my research, I think the following might work in my budget:

Denon 1500h (40k ish)
Taga harmony 606 V3 (30k)
Taga/Polk sub (~17k)
Polk owm3 (17k).

Is this a good combination? The room is 16 x 12 x 11 feet and is my bed room. Viewing distance is around 10 feet and there is only 10 inches behind the headboard to the back wall for the surround speakers.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Great that you have made up your mind. All choices are good other than the subwoofer I would say. The tower fronts give pretty deep bass as per reviews and also go down till 40 hz as per specs so the subwoofer you have shortlisted would most likely not give much benefits. I would suggest to postpone subwoofer purchase and only go for one once you feel the lack of one and have a budget of atleast 30 k +

check this, taga 806f towers are selling for 27k, but they wont be coming with box and warranty.

check this, taga 806f towers are selling for 27k, but they wont be coming with box and warranty.
HiFi Mart is selling them for 31K, so not worth buying from avshack without warranty/box unless they come down further drastically. That is my perspective.

So finally I have decided to take the plunge in this deep deep sea of Hi-Fi Audio. I was planning to get an Atmos soundbar (either LG or JBL) but then couldn't muster courage to spend this much for a sound bar. So after pondering for a while, I have convinced myself to go the hard route and get a dedicated system.

So, I have increased the budget till 100k but I want to have a surround setup as already have a decent 2.0 setup which I am upgrading from (Blaupunkt 2.0 active towers).

I am open to pre-owned deals but not able to find any in Delhi. So from my research, I think the following might work in my budget:

Denon 1500h (40k ish)
Taga harmony 606 V3 (30k)
Taga/Polk sub (~17k)
Polk owm3 (17k).

Is this a good combination? The room is 16 x 12 x 11 feet and is my bed room. Viewing distance is around 10 feet and there is only 10 inches behind the headboard to the back wall for the surround speakers.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated
1L is extremely tight and I would advise to complete a good 5.1 set up in that budget.Denon and Polk check with profx. Getting all gears from one dealer will get you more discounts.Try to get Denon 2500 and Polk HTS12. This should come around 85-90k. Extend your budget by another 20-30 k and get the taga harmony or pioneer AJ speaker series.Later you can add height speakers

1L is extremely tight and I would advise to complete a good 5.1 set up in that budget.Denon and Polk check with profx. Getting all gears from one dealer will get you more discounts.Try to get Denon 2500 and Polk HTS12. This should come around 85-90k. Extend your budget by another 20-30 k and get the taga harmony or pioneer AJ speaker series.Later you can add height speakers

I believe the OP is on a tight budget and has extended to 1L as per discussions on this other thread

Wholesomely agree that the approach you suggested is the right way to go :)

Great that you have made up your mind. All choices are good other than the subwoofer I would say. The tower fronts give pretty deep bass as per reviews and also go down till 40 hz as per specs so the subwoofer you have shortlisted would most likely not give much benefits. I would suggest to postpone subwoofer purchase and only go for one once you feel the lack of one and have a budget of atleast 30 k +
Thank you for the reply. This does sound like a good idea. I do not have a tuned ear so I might not need the sub at the beginning if the towers are as good as you are saying. My main usage is Movies and Shows (OTT Apps and Remux rips from the PC) and occasional music (10% probably).

I suggest to postpone the sub and put that money into avr and towers.

I see. Sounds like a reasonable suggestion considering the Front Towers seem to handle a bit of the low end grunt work nicely

Any specific reason why 2500 over the 1500? All I want is good surround and atmos experience in my limited budget. There is no upper limit when it comes to Audio hardware and there is always a better option available at 15-20% extra dough, so there has to be a hard limit. That is what I think, lol.

I mean, I have been following this forum for quite sometime now. No matter what the budget (be it 1 lakh or 10 lakhs), I have always seen the same pattern of suggestions, i.e. "Extend your budget by this much and get this". So there is no limit at all. And I do understand the feeling behind it, coming from a similar background myself (non-av tech suggestion forums).

Call up Pratham directly. He usually gives stellar deals.

Noted.

I believe the OP is on a tight budget and has extended to 1L as per discussions on this other thread

Wholesomely agree that the approach you suggested is the right way to go :)

That is correct. I started from 42k (LG SL8yg + SPK8-s combo) and have already stretched it to the max.

Thank you for the reply. This does sound like a good idea. I do not have a tuned ear so I might not need the sub at the beginning if the towers are as good as you are saying. My main usage is Movies and Shows (OTT Apps and Remux rips from the PC) and occasional music (10% probably).

I see. Sounds like a reasonable suggestion considering the Front Towers seem to handle a bit of the low end grunt work nicely

Any specific reason why 2500 over the 1500? All I want is good surround and atmos experience in my limited budget. There is no upper limit when it comes to Audio hardware and there is always a better option available at 15-20% extra dough, so there has to be a hard limit. That is what I think, lol.

I mean, I have been following this forum for quite sometime now. No matter what the budget (be it 1 lakh or 10 lakhs), I have always seen the same pattern of suggestions, i.e. "Extend your budget by this much and get this". So there is no limit at all. And I do understand the feeling behind it, coming from a similar background myself (non-av tech suggestion forums).

Noted.

That is correct. I started from 42k (LG SL8yg + SPK8-s combo) and have already stretched it to the max.
There is not a lot of difference but the 2500 has 15 watts more power rating 2 channel driven. I have used 2400 for a year and hence suggested the 2xxx series

There is not a lot of difference but the 2500 has 15 watts more power rating 2 channel driven. I have used 2400 for a year and hence suggested the 2xxx series
I see. Do you think it is worth the 15-20k price difference? I will be using it in a bedroom and I surely won't be using the system at full volume. I am not planning to upgrade the setup anytime soon (say 3 years at the minimum).

I see. Do you think it is worth the 15-20k price difference? I will be using it in a bedroom and I surely won't be using the system at full volume. I am not planning to upgrade the setup anytime soon (say 3 years at the minimum).
I don’t think the price difference is 15-20k. The best price I have seen for 1500 is 42-45k and for 2500 52-55k. And coming to upgrade no one here plans for upgrade when purchasing a gear. For example I promised my wife no upgrade for 3 years minimum if she permits me to buy 2400 and I upgraded to 4500 within a year. Same with subwoofer. I got a Polk sub promising no upgrade for 5 years and upgraded to bic within 7 months and for bic I told the same story and within 3 months upgraded to xtz 10.17. For xtz 10.17 also I told the same story no upgrade for 5 years 200% sure but I ended up selling it within a year and now waiting for 12.17 stocks. So I am not the right person for you to ask this question lol

Do you think it is worth the 15-20k price difference?

I'd say yes. My answer would have been NO an year back - but with whatever experience I have gained, I'll suggest the same what others have. Drop the atmos or sub, and spend that in goot AVR.

With AVRs - it is not just about the power and features, it is also about the how all that is delivered. I haven't heard the Taga - but the overall feedback is good for 606v3. They are 6 ohms - front have good sensitivity, should drive well.

Start with a good AVR and a Taga 606v3, add atmos and sub after some time.

Last edited:
I don’t think the price difference is 15-20k. The best price I have seen for 1500 is 42-45k and for 2500 52-55k. And coming to upgrade no one here plans for upgrade when purchasing a gear. For example I promised my wife no upgrade for 3 years minimum if she permits me to buy 2400 and I upgraded to 4500 within a year. Same with subwoofer. I got a Polk sub promising no upgrade for 5 years and upgraded to bic within 7 months and for bic I told the same story and within 3 months upgraded to xtz 10.17. For xtz 10.17 also I told the same story no upgrade for 5 years 200% sure but I ended up selling it within a year and now waiting for 12.17 stocks. So I am not the right person for you to ask this question lol
Haha. Yeah, I can imagine. But coming from a slightly different financial background, I do have to limit myself when it comes to non-essential spendings. So yes, I can say that I won't be upgrading anytime soon. I just need a decent setup which can give surround immersion (including atmos) for movies that support it. I do not room shaking bass nor I will be hosting parties for loud music. I just want to enjoy a good movie/TV watching experience coupled with the LG OLED that I have.

I'd say yes. My answer would have been NO an year back - but with whatever experience I have gained, I'll suggest the same what others have. Drop the atmos or sub, and spend that in goot AVR.

With AVRs - it is not just about the power and features, it is also about the how all that is delivered. I haven't heard the Taga - but the overall feedback is good for 606v3. They are 6 ohms - front have good sensitivity, should drive well.

Start with a good AVR and a Taga 606v3, add atmos and surrounds after some time.
Can you please elaborate a little on why/how your perception changed in the last one year?

And taga 606 is a 5.0 package, so it comes with surround speakers I think.

Haha. Yeah, I can imagine. But coming from a slightly different financial background, I do have to limit myself when it comes to non-essential spendings. So yes, I can say that I won't be upgrading anytime soon. I just need a decent setup which can give surround immersion (including atmos) for movies that support it. I do not room shaking bass nor I will be hosting parties for loud music. I just want to enjoy a good movie/TV watching experience coupled with the LG OLED that I have.
So if all you want is a decent and immersive set up better plan the best 5.1 in a 1L budget. @rksingh1 is selling his Yamaha 585. If you can grab it for a good price and with the remaining money you can plan decent speakers and a subwoofer.

Last edited:
In that case and also since you’re going to be using it in a bedroom, imho, a good pair of bookshelves plus a sub is a better bet. Unless you have some magicos or focal sopras, most floorstanders will struggle to get anywhere near the same bass quality and quantity as a half decent sub. And yes, get a decent AVR if you can. I don’t think im going to miss floorstanders ever unless its a very big room where bookshelves will struggle to reach the requisite decibels. FYI, i have my speakers installed in my living room which is around 450 sq.ft. and my bookshelves do a more than adequate job of filling the space when coupled with a sub.

I would suggest that for 100K, you start with a 5.1 system.
The overhead atmos speakers can be added later.

As suggested previously, a matched set of speakers will be cheaper.

For example, the Polk T Series Package.

Bargain hard with ProFX. You might even get it for 50K.

The Denon x1500h is an excellent entry level receiver.

These 2 together gives you a good entry level home theatre system.

Add overhead speakers for Atmos later, when you have funds.

Also, good avr plus fronts and a sub work just fine. It’ll be better than a compromised surround setup. Skip the atmos speakers entirely for now.

Can you please elaborate a little on why/how your perception changed in the last one year?

Oh, a lot brother.

For starters, the speakers we have, we need a good AVR to drive them to their full potential. Same Dali or Polk speakers driven by Denon 550BT and 2500x will give you good difference, not in terms of loudness, but in terms of quality of listening. So even though the AVR I have is good for entry level, I feel my Polk S55 towers can reach to its potential with better AVRs.

Second, if we are setting up the surround and atmos speakers with sub, having front tower may not have that impact and usefulness. My towers can go as low as 32hz - that was a great parameter when I bought them. But now, with xover settings, I not sending any low frequency to towers anyway and they all are going to my sub. Plus, the center channel and surrounds speakers do lot of heavy lifting and front towers, while they are good, get shadowed by the whole setup. So getting good quality bookshelves, would work as well, if the plan is to use for movies primarily - in surround/atmos mode.

I get to see the potential of front towers, mainly during my audio listening experience - and the quality coming from them, on stereo setup is good. So I am getting to use what they are worth in music listening mode.

What I did good and I feel good still, is to stage my whole purchase in various parts and not get everything at once. I got the towers and used them for a month, and then the center and then sub and not surrounds. So I have a good experience of what impact each speaker has mode to my setup.

We tend to focus more on front towers, but for an effective movie setup, center channel and AVR are more critical for experience.

Whatever @argho suggested above is very good. I have listened to that setup and they are great VFM. T50, T30, T15, and that sub are very good unit to buy for 50-55k + get the the 2500 or 685 AVR. That 5.1 setup will give you more immersive feeling than a budget 5.1 setup. Again, I haven't heard Taga 606v3, but these Polk T series speaker sets are good for the price.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back