5.1. Search Ending With Emotiva Setup

jatinmalhotra

In search for 5.1 system i took auditions for following systems

1. Yamaha -667 with Yamaha speakers package . 90 K

was decenet but no seperation, good bass but that is it.

2. Onkyo 608 with ELAC speakers and ELAC surrounds . 1.3 K

Could'nt tolerate , just got up and decided to walk away.

3. Denon 1611 with Polk TSI 300 / 400 - Dont remember the package cost

Was good but did'nt had the wow factor

4. Denon 1911 wirh Polk RTI A7 with Polk 660 SW and PolK surrounds and center - 1.6 Quoted

WOW factor, lots of seperation , good clear vocals and good surrounds also. I liked it.

5. Marantz 5005 with MA BR6 and BR center with 660 SW - Still to get a quote

Separation was not good but vocals were excellent. Music was also good.

Buddies please suggest a good combo for my setup

Movies 80 % , music 20%
Room size 20 * 10

Buget 1.5 Lacks

Source -> Xtreamer MK1 ( Already have)
Display -> LG PK 550 ( Already have)

Q1. I am thinking about getting RTI 9, will denon 1911 drive them or should i take the Marantz 5005 , pre out and then later a external amp route ?

Q2. Has any one heard pairing of Marantz with RTI' any comments, I am not able to demo this combination.

Q3. Have heard a lot of things about Paradigm Monitor 7 and 9 with marantz. Is that combo also good for movies.

Give PSB and NAD combination a try, its both Musical as well as good for Movies.
For your room size PSB Alpha setup with a Denon 1911 or a NAD 747 will be a good match. Also if you can up your budget a little then you can also go in with a PSB Image T5 or T6 based combinations.

Please give us a call to fix up an appointment for a demo session of the above combinations.

Ashish
011-46838373 / 9910041260

In search for 5.1 system i took auditions for following systems

1. Yamaha -667 with Yamaha speakers package . 90 K

was decenet but no seperation, good bass but that is it.

2. Onkyo 608 with ELAC speakers and ELAC surrounds . 1.3 K

Could'nt tolerate , just got up and decided to walk away.

3. Denon 1611 with Polk TSI 300 / 400 - Dont remember the package cost

Was good but did'nt had the wow factor

4. Denon 1911 wirh Polk RTI A7 with Polk 660 SW and PolK surrounds and center - 1.6 Quoted

WOW factor, lots of seperation , good clear vocals and good surrounds also. I liked it.

5. Marantz 5005 with MA BR6 and BR center with 660 SW - Still to get a quote

Separation was not good but vocals were excellent. Music was also good.

Buddies please suggest a good combo for my setup

Movies 80 % , music 20%
Room size 20 * 10

Buget 1.5 Lacks

Source -> Xtreamer MK1 ( Already have)
Display -> LG PK 550 ( Already have)

Q1. I am thinking about getting RTI 9, will denon 1911 drive them or should i take the Marantz 5005 , pre out and then later a external amp route ?

Q2. Has any one heard pairing of Marantz with RTI' any comments, I am not able to demo this combination.

Q3. Have heard a lot of things about Paradigm Monitor 7 and 9 with marantz. Is that combo also good for movies.

I have a Paradigm Monitor 9 (with Subwoofer DSP3100, CC290 Center, ADP-190 surrounds) paired with Onkyo 608. It sounds really good for both Movies and Music.

get an avr for around 40k. e.g. yammy or denon or marantz.
get an svs sub for around 50k. your main usage is movies, good sub is a must. below that, you get shitty subs.
get 2 surround speakers for around 15-20k. eg usher s520 or something like that. enough for surround duties.
get 2 main speakers for 40-50k.
use virtual (phantom) center channel, its free:). get proper center when u have more budget.

Hmm I thought somebody was looking for a 1.5 system (one speaker, 5 subwoofers) for 5.1 lacs... and so it piqued my interest. :)

Did you check out the QAcoustics 5.1 system?

Lithos Acoustics from Pune also makes some very decent speakers for HT.

Cheers

Hmm I thought somebody was looking for a 1.5 system (one speaker, 5 subwoofers) for 5.1 lacs... and so it piqued my interest. :)

Did you check out the QAcoustics 5.1 system?

Lithos Acoustics from Pune also makes some very decent speakers for HT.

Cheers

Lithos is from Mumbai
I feel it is more for music ,not so great for Movies.
Esp I had their centre ,it was 2 way speaker constructed horizontally!

Well Gone for Round 2 and..............

1. PSB image 6 FS + B5 + C5 with NAD 747 ( Cost above 2 Lacks owing to Revciever) I saw on Forums that there are Handshake issues with 747 as there is no pass through which were present in demo too. so I cant buy a product with a known issue

The might be good speakers but not for my taste is all I can say, Didn't liked them . The don't live up to the Hype.

2. Dali Ikon 6 FS with Vokal 2 and IKON On wall surrounds with Denon 1911

Liked them very much, The are sweet to ears and I think I liked them most in my demos

Demoed the Dark Knight action sequence where Joker pursuits Harvey dent and Batman is on his Bike. My fav action sequence.

Demoed Ahun Ahun DTS HD MA track from Love AAj Kal, I think hthis is my taste of Music ( Some would say I a true Dilli wala :) )

One thing that I read on Forums that 1911 might not be enough and Jitu on HFV said 2311 might be enough but surely 1911 will not bring the speakers to its full potential. I tend to agree and would go for 3311 to be future proof.

3. MA RX6 with RX Center and Focal satellites as surrounds with Marantz SR5005.

Demo Seq GI joe Seq where Eiffel Tower is demolished. this Seq over and Over again with with 3,4 and 5.

Same result as PSB, they were good but not for my taste, I dont seem to like them though they were good, details and vocals as well as tight base.

Taal track really bought out the details.

4. AAD instead of MA RX6 in 3

NOK for music though I found them good for action movies lot of tight bass but details were less.

5. Quad instead of MA RX6 in 3

Midway b/w MA RX6 and AAD. Details were less than RX6 but better than AAD. Music was good also.

6. Avino 6 and Avino 8 with CA Azur Amp in Stereo with 6 Hindi tracks ,

Liked Avino 6. See below 7 for reasons

7. Mezzo 6 and Mezzo 8 with CA Azur in Streo with same 6 Hindi tracks

Liked Mezzo 6.

I am not buying FS for Bass, for that SVS PC 12 NSD is reserved so why shell out money for more bass in a speaker.

One thing came to my attention in demo that one more customer was in market for compact system, demo unit was Denon 1611 with Minx series of CA

Compact speakers with Crystal clear output and a 300 watt minx sub.

Any one in market for a compact system must take a look these

Minx 325 home cinema

A big room of 20 by 20 was filled completely with these tiny things.

Now it boils down to this combo

denon 3311 with Dali Ikon 6 + Vokal 2 + Concept 1.

Will demo Mezzo 6 again in 5.1 later in this week.

Will keep all posted on the demos and if any purchase is made.

Any comments and suggestions most welcome.

P.S : can any one give me contact number for Pro Acoustics in Khan market Delhi and there address. i want to demo there too.

Mordaunt Short Aviano 2 and Aviano 6 were auditioned by me, mandark and subhadeepgayen of this forum with CA AZUR 2 channel 650A amp and even we liked the music. We have booked these speakers but yet to decide on the amp. We are planning to listen to it with Denon 1911 and Yamaha 667. But there is a lot of debate going on with actual powering capability of amps to drive speakers. You may check it under this link
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-underpowered-amps-vs-overpowered-amps-4.html

Well I think Round 3 is in order.

1. Klpish Tower - DOnt remember the MOdel powered by 1311.

Okish. nothing major to report.

2. Mission 34i with 1311.

A sort of revelation , extremely good and VFM, in case any one is looking for clear vocals and crisp output should give them a chance.

3. Gave Polk RTI A7 another chance, tough they were powered by 1611, it was clear they were underpowered.

I think Mission 34i / 35 i are more vfm to them though for good boomy seq it shone. Vocals were also clear.

4.Jamo C607 and Jamo 809 with Marantz 6004.

I notion was that Jamo are Okish but they are extremely good, Fell in love with C809
Each Instrument shone like never before.

Demoed clips - Bhool Bhuliya ( Video Songs ) , 300 ( Action Seq) , Swat( Action Seq) and Taal songs.

Now I think I can pose questions to Gurus.

1. Jamo C607 + Jamo C 60 Center and Jamo C60 Surrounds ~~1 Lacks. Is it a good option ?

2. Jamo C809 , this is 1.31 A pair and Jamo C607 is 56 a Pair , there is significant difference b/w two but is it worth the upgrade, My feeling is that with Sufficient powered amp 809 will be unbelievable. I dont think any point in going over my already overstretched buget. Advice please ?

3. Dali Ikon 6 + Vokal 2 + Concept 1, This is ingrained in my mind as the best for what I have till now. Will give Dali another chance to battle b/W Jamo and Dali. Any advice ?

4. Priority Question -> Denon 3311 vs UMC1 / XPA 5 combo. What to do , I am really confused now. Denon has warranty , support and instant delivery to me.

Can Anyone Quote good price for

Denon 3311 / Marantz 7005 / UMC1+XPA7 combo for me to take a good decision.

Emotiva will pose problem as will be costly first but will be enough for all my future needs but I have read that There are dead on Arrival issues and F/W issues. Any comments from users are most welcome, Please help. I am yet to get a quote from ICC world in Cost of UMC1 with XPA5, Any update on the time line for new AV processor of EMotiva , I missed the name. It has 2 HDMI out one of the main feature I am tilting towards Denon since with UMC and XPA I will have to buy a Splitter/ repeater for my Future Projector.

5. Where can I audition Usher / b&W in Delhi?

6. My eyes are set on SVS PC12 NSD ( Not yet heard) but I have liked Jamo subs a lot, I felt that Jamo subs were hitting me in waves which I liked very much. How are Jamo Subs compared to SVS. I dont what a sub to rattle my windows but hitting in waves I think I liked best, Maybe its not a scientific term, Hitting in Waves but thats in simple English that I can describe.

P.S: have Paradigm 9 audition lined up, lets see what happens.
Sub:

To me the Jamo c607 option was a close second to the Paradigm Monitor 9, and I found both good.

BTW, you should not demo speakers with AVR's that are well below the class, atleast demo the klipsch with the denon 1911.

I think the SVS subs would be far better than the Jamo, but you can demo it. I guess there are few in Delhi who have it.

For ushers, contact arn systems in the forum or via their website.

For the Emotiva's you can go for UMC 1 plus UPA 5 and XPA2 as the surrounds and other speakers wont need 200w power.

The XMC 1 is not released yet.

The current firmware are fairly stable on the UMC 1.

But with every online purchase there is always the pain of shipping back if and when there is an issue, although their return policy is almost unmatched.

Have just got a Quote for

XPA5

Rs. 70840

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 41354

International Shipping: Rs. 15916

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 13570

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL Rs. 70840

UMC1

Rs. 48495

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 32154

International Shipping: Rs. 5980

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 10361

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL Rs. 48495

Total Damages = 119335 /-

To me the Jamo c607 option was a close second to the Paradigm Monitor 9, and I found both good.

BTW, you should not demo speakers with AVR's that are well below the class, atleast demo the klipsch with the denon 1911.

I think the SVS subs would be far better than the Jamo, but you can demo it. I guess there are few in Delhi who have it.

For ushers, contact arn systems in the forum or via their website.

I know that Klipsh Should have 1911 but that was the configuration already done a demo place, Any way Klipsh is not to me taste.

Point taken SVS it is then

I will check with ARN

For the Emotiva's you can go for UMC 1 plus UPA 5 and XPA2 as the surrounds and other speakers wont need 200w power.

The XMC 1 is not released yet.

The current firmware are fairly stable on the UMC 1.

But with every online purchase there is always the pain of shipping back if and when there is an issue, although their return policy is almost unmatched.

UPA 5 is not available and also UPA5 with XPA 2 will be costly initially, In future may be...... I ll get a XPA 2 with XPA 5 still in place, Also heard a lot that 2 XPA 5 Biamped are better than 1 XPA2 and 1 XPA5 so may take that route too.

I am seriously wondering to spend more on AVR than On speakers.

Advice please.

1 Jamo C609 Combo
2 Dali Ikon 6 Combo

Or any other

UPA 5 is not available and also UPA5 with XPA 2 will be costly initially, In future may be...... I ll get a XPA 2 with XPA 5 still in place, Also heard a lot that 2 XPA 5 Biamped are better than 1 XPA2 and 1 XPA5 so may take that route too.

I am seriously wondering to spend more on AVR than On speakers.

I would suggest go for the UPA 7, you are spending way too much for the AVR.

Checkout Canton, EPOS and Dali Speakers. The audio quality is far superior. For AVR, 1611 is good enough cuz 1311, 1611 and 1911 are essentially IDENTICAL. They all use the same DSP chips, same DAC's, same chassis, same amp section, and are built alongside each other in the same factory in China. The only difference is the features. Good luck.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back