A good 11-channel AVR vs a good 9-channel AVR +amp for 7.x.4 HT?

Lets say your Denon does 300 watts per channel at 8ohms. Split that value by 3 and you should get closer to 100 watts per channel for each of your LCR speakers. I am winging it with the 300 watts. It could be +/- 10 to 15 watts (usually minus) depending on source material.

Ideally; you want to do the reverse of what you want to attempt. The power hogs are the LCR's. The ceiling (or atmos) and rear surrounds are generally okay to run off the AVR amplifier.

You can do what you want to do but ideally, you want that power amp to push nice clean power to the more demanding channels, which are the LCR's. The spikes on the effects channels are a lot less demanding unless there is armageddon taking place on screen. Its not continuous.
Thanks. Should 3 channel amplifier is enough or should i go in for 11 or 7 or 5. Kindly explain to a noob.

It is my understanding that the AVR distributes max total power among all channels in use, so you would probably get more if you used fewer channels.

Thanks. Should 3 channel amplifier is enough or should i go in for 11 or 7 or 5. Kindly explain to a noob.
Get a 5 channel power amplifier so the main LCR + Surround get quality power to them. The remaining effects channels (Rear Surrounds and 4 ceiling mounted or atmos speakers) can be driven off the av receiver.

Get a 5 channel power amplifier so the main LCR + Surround get quality power to them. The remaining effects channels (Rear Surrounds and 4 ceiling mounted or atmos speakers) can be driven off the av receiver.
great. thanks.
any suggestions for power amp and the range of cost.

I think Emotiva has a local presence.
Outlaw sells only in the US; maybe even Monoprice.
For the money, Outlaw is a good bet if one can source it.
I used to run M2200 monoblocks in the main rig earlier.

Cheers,
Raghu

I assume you are referring to the HT Store. They are just sellers of Emotiva products in India. No direct ties to the company.
For Emotiva, its best to buy and deal direct with them.
I don't know the exact store. I've only read on the forum that folks buy locally.
Since multi channel class A/B amps are big and heavy, it makes sense to explore something available locally.

If folks are OK with class-D, then there are a few new products from Parasound.
But they cost a lot, even if procured from US and hand carried.

Cheers,
Raghu

I don't know the exact store. I've only read on the forum that folks buy locally.
Since multi channel class A/B amps are big and heavy, it makes sense to explore something available locally.
Interesting. Wonder how warranty is going to be honored as Emotiva don't do dealer ties.
These amplifiers are packaged really well. They come intact even all the way from the USA. I've had second hand experience of this. The packaging is so good that it can take quite a lot of abuse. The heavier, the better actually as the less likelihood of a human flinging it around.
There is also some form of insurance on shipping so in the rare event there is shipping damage, replacement is swift. With these boutique audio companies, its usually a no questions asked policy and you get a new amplifier.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back