A Good "Will play all" kind of media player for my 4K TV +5.1 HT

I dont understand, why would you need 2 HDMI and what connection you intending here with your AVR not supporting 4K. Pardon me for not getting this, if you can be a bit more explicit ...,,, also I seriously doubt any media player has 2 HDMIs, not that I know...will google as you might as well and report .....

He plans to send the video to the 4k TV directly and the sound to the AVR assuming the AVR doesnt allow 4k video passthrough and the TV doesnt allow ARC.

Sam, wont a rpi3 do the job with openelec/kodi,rather than a media player?

OK so if thats the objective and his AVR does not support 4K (and yes assuming AVR also does not support 4K passthrough), he wont need 2 HDMIs, the Q5 pro also has optical audio out and I am sure his AVR must be having Optical Audio in, do HDMI goes in TV directly, and one optical goes from Media Player to AVR optical in.

Any issues you might think in this setup.

rpi can also act as media player but rpi will only have openelec and with media player he will be getting Android, 4K playback and Kodi as well.. :)

OK so if thats the objective and his AVR does not support 4K (and yes assuming AVR also does not support 4K passthrough), he wont need 2 HDMIs, the Q5 pro also has optical audio out and I am sure his AVR must be having Optical Audio in, do HDMI goes in TV directly, and one optical goes from Media Player to AVR optical in.

Any issues you might think in this setup.

rpi can also act as media player but rpi will only have openelec and with media player he will be getting Android, 4K playback and Kodi as well.. :)

Yes right guys, my AVR SR7005 does not support 4K nor 4K pass through. Hence I need to send 4K video through HDMI directly to my 4K TV.

Optical/ coaxial (even ARC) will not support HD audio - Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. So need another HDMI port from media player for audio.

I think most of the UHD Blu-ray players will have 2 HDMI ports for this purpose.

Last edited:
I believe optical or SPDIF will support encoded audio, provided you have a DAC which can decode it. Typically, AV receivers or preamps can.

Yes right guys, my AVR SR7005 does not support 4K nor 4K pass through. Hence I need to send 4K video through HDMI directly to my 4K TV.

Optical/ coaxial (even ARC) will not support HD audio - Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio. So need another HDMI port from media player for audio.

I think most of the UHD Blu-ray players will have 2 HDMI ports for this purpose.
Won't something like this help? http://www.amazon.in/Generic-Splitt...scsubtag=bdb281a1-da24-4f01-b68d-f051c1d0104d

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Yes optical audio is limited to DTS and DD. No HD Audio. Also I hardly doubt any current gen media player has 2 HDMI out. Not even the mighty Q10 Pro. There was one from Himedia HD900C that came with 2 HDMI, but thats an old hardware and no more in production. Few Oppo BD Playes have 2 HDMI, but they have their other limitations like not able to play ISO.

Also I dont think a simple HDMI splitter, will do the job, an HDMI MATRIX switch might be a better option. Something like below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-HDMI...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335087077&ref_=sr_1_21&sr=8-21

Yes optical audio is limited to DTS and DD. No HD Audio. Also I hardly doubt any current gen media player has 2 HDMI out. Not even the mighty Q10 Pro. There was one from Himedia HD900C that came with 2 HDMI, but thats an old hardware and no more in production. Few Oppo BD Playes have 2 HDMI, but they have their other limitations like not able to play ISO.

Also I dont think a simple HDMI splitter, will do the job, an HDMI MATRIX switch might be a better option. Something like below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-HDMI...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335087077&ref_=sr_1_21&sr=8-21

Thanks, looks good. But this route looks expensive. Will wait and watch till these media players are developed further.

I thought of getting Himedia Q10 pro , then decided i wont be needing a HDD and am confused whether to get Q5 or Q10

can someone tell me the difference and which is worth ?

I thought of getting Himedia Q10 pro , then decided i wont be needing a HDD and am confused whether to get Q5 or Q10

can someone tell me the difference and which is worth ?

if there is not any specific requirement, even Himedia H8 will do the job for most of us.

Nothing can beat WD Media Player as I have been using the same for last 5 years and upgraded to the latest version. The only demerit is you cannot play physical dvds or cd's.

^^ WD Media player is old school now. I also had two WD 1st gen and WD TV Live .... and though my kid still uses WD 1st gen, sold WD Live TV ages back ......

WD TV does not play various files which the Popcorn Hour or my other Android players. And of course it doesn't support H.265 video streams, which will soon become as popular as H.264 has become. Digital TV channels already have switched to H.265 heavily.

No one should buy a WD TV today if they want to use their media player for the next few years, IMHO.

The shield TV is among the best streamers now, especially since it supports the latest formats of video (HDR &4K). With the strong processing power it has, you will be futureproofed for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi all, I have been away (not even passive browsing) from the forum for 1 year due to routine busy life. My Chromecast gave up 4 months back and was looking for media player. I came across cubetek (not much review available). I chatted with dealer based in Bangalore and he confirmed that Cubetek are official dealers for Himedia. I checked the description in amazon and it mentioned as Himedia Q5 pro and Himedia H8 and they provide 1 year support and warranty.

Note: I am not dealer and not related to dealer. Posting an information here and I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back