A Home Theatre system with music in mind

dancc said:
How does the Oppo DVD compare with the Pioneer for video as well as audio. Audioholics review seem to be giving a thumbs up to Oppo.

Also will the Oppo/Pioneer DVD players do justice to the Audio CDs (Which will be the primary media being used) and the AVR it will feed into, considering the advise seen many times on the various forums (Keep the source as clean as you can).

Or should I go for a dedicated CD player as well, no prizes for guessing this one.. Marantz CD 6002, This way for the price of the DVD I was originally considering marantz DV6001, I will get an Oppo DVD and a Marantz CD player and will be great for my Zone 2 as well if I put to use my Tannoy Mercuries...

All models of Oppo are excellent universal DVD players and are 'better' than the budgetary DVDs from Pioneer such as DV-400, DV-600, DV-610. For video and multi-channel sound, they are superb.

The Oppos do play Redbook CDs well. I cannot say the same about a budgetary Pioneer DVD player. But then Pioneer never claimed they were good audio players. Pioneer has always focussed on video and multi channel sound.

If you keep everything else the same, a decent CDP will sound better than any Universal DVD Player other than those costing a a few thousand dollars.

Cheers

Anands123
Can you tell me the contact details (from where i can purchase) of pioneer DV600 in mumbai?
Getting for only 6K? That's good. But i suppose its grey market.
If so, grey market products are serviced in regular service center with high service charges (as informed by one of the members in this forum).
Still can you let me know the details?

Hi Danccc

I dont want to disturb the track of this thread.
But you should concentrate more on your choice of speakers .
I suggest you set aside a budget of 60-75k only for front two speakers if you want to do justice to your setup.
The spks that i liked in this range are : MS RS 6, Dalik ikon 6, Mezzo6 and of course the Quadss which you are thinking about.
The AVRs get outdated soon but the speakers will last you for a time.
regards

Hi Danccc

I suggest you set aside a budget of 60-75k only for front two speakers if you want to do justice to your setup.
The spks that i liked in this range are : MS RS 6, Dalik ikon 6, Mezzo6 and of
regards

This is exactly what Im planning to do now and probably start with only a setreo Amp,(Even for the movies this will be great upgrade from the audio I have from my TV, :D) and then go for an ARV and center and sub and so on as and when I feel the need for an upgraded experience.

These front speakers will of course take me all the way,

Best Regards,

Danccc

This is what I like

Speakers: Quad 22L2, They go down to 30Hz and hence will not go for a sub for some time.
have auditioned only 12L and liked them,specially the sound stage and the balaced midrange don't know if I should go for 22L2s based on this and the reviews/specs.

Stereo Amp: Marantz PM7003, have auditioned PM7001 only, PM 7003 will be avaibale in 2 weeks in India

CD Player: Marantz CD 5003, again coming in two weeks,

Doubts I still have before placing the advance: will the Amp I considered be good enough to drive the Quads (Only 70W X 2, though the specs for Quads require 50-300W)
And should I choose the speakers based on the audition I have for a lower end version of the same family assuming that the higher one will only be better.. Pity that Im not able to audition the 22L2 in Delhi

For the AVR, I would wait for a few months when I would have enjoyed the above and at that time I will also go for the Quad L2 center and the sub I would add a few more months down the line..

The above is still only in my mind, so the course correction is possibe,

Shoot please:)

Best Regards,

Danccc

Friends,

It is decision time,

Auditioned the new MS Avant series speakers , 908, 905 and 903s, without the sub (With an old Marantz SR 5600) at a friend's place and liked the package, considering the price he paid for the Avants.

Need real advise now before the dealer lands up this saturday with the same set of speakers at my place and hopefully will loan me an AVR till I get my own:p.

Summary so far,

Will have a dedicated stereo AMP + the AVR setup.

Stereo Amp: Marantz PM 7003
CD Player: Marantz CD 5003

No confusions on the above except possibly the ability for the 7003 (75W X 2) to drive the speakers Im considering

AVR: Denon 1909 or Marantz SR5003 (Leaning towards Denon 1909 due to the availability and the price points).

Speakers: Front Would like IKON 6:p, but MS 908i is available at a more than decent price of 23K and I liked them .. normal room, no acoustic treatments etc.

Speakers is where a lot of confusion is there, Will the Avants serve me for some time or I will clamour for upgrades in a few months,

On the other hand Dalis will be good investment, but will "force" me to upgrade sooner than later on my other stuff, (This is where I have a doubt on 7003 being able to drive the Dalis)

The rest of the speakers and sub will of course be decided based on the fronts.

Help!

Danccc

but MS 908i is available at a more than decent price of 23K and I liked them .. normal room, no acoustic treatments etc.

danccc...

could you please share your dealer with me who would give the avants at the price that you have mentioned. I am based in delhi and am seriously considering this same speaker set...

would be grateful if you could PM me or place the details here...

Siddharth

hi dancc

the more speakers you auditon the more confused you will be.
if you audition WF 9.5(26k) you will like them !

But you can't compare dali or RS6 to them.

did you hear mezzo 5,6.... they will 'floor' you !

regards

Speakers - Mordaunt Short - Front - MS-906i
Rear - MS-902i
Center - MS-905i
Sub - MS-309i

Secondly the reason for not suggesting MS-903i, is because 903i are Bi-Pole speakers and will suit only if placed on side walls that is 7.1 setup, not rear walls that is 5.1 only...So better go for normal bookshelf or Di-Pole...
so MS-902i is better...

Dear Mridul
Can you please post or PM me the approximate prices of the speakers posted above.
The reason why i ask is that i am also looking at a budget HT. I have not yet created a thread or posted since i am trying to narrow down my options and demo the speakers before i seek further advice.

The plan is to check the best possible options from Wharfedale, Jamo, Sonodyne, MS, KEF, qacoustics, polk, etc, which fit my budget.

Dear All,

This thread encapsulates what many of us are going through and as such there is no point duplicating threads... I have myself been auditioning for the past month or so, and am sharing my experiences...

FACTS - am looking for a HT setup with emphasis on movies - over a period of time of auditioning, i realised that i did not want it to be at the cost of compromising on music abilities and as such my search shifted a little bit... I have a 600 sq ft space which is for multi use, and in which this HT setup will be put. My budget is about 1 - 1.15 L for the AVR + speakers...

AS OF NOW (and keeping in mind my budget) - i really liked the Wharfedale 9.6 diamond package [have been given a pricing of about 76k - for teh speakers], which I would like to pair with the Denon 1909 or Denon 2309... I also was impressed with the Avant 908i package [ was given a pricing of 75k inclusive of taxes at one place - today I went to the guy that danccc recommended and he has given me a pricing of about 53k (dont know about taxes - will find out)] to be paired either with the denons, or even the CA amp which was quite good...

The Mezzos and teh Dali Ikons were great... but beyond budgetary constraints...

If any of you feel that for this pricing there are options which are similar or better, please do share...

danccc,

thanks a ton for your help... this place gave me that figure as a straight off quote on the basis of some "offer" that they are running - he even had a printed pamphlet on this... i am really surprised at the price since the price for the 908i that was given to me by the "exclusive" importer of MS speakers was 40k........... cant figure out whats happening! not complaining tho!!

Siddharth

Dear All,

danccc,

thanks a ton for your help... this place gave me that figure as a straight off quote on the basis of some "offer" that they are running - he even had a printed pamphlet on this... i am really surprised at the price since the price for the 908i that was given to me by the "exclusive" importer of MS speakers was 40k........... cant figure out whats happening! not complaining tho!!

Siddharth

Well, they delivered the speakers as well at the price and I could not find anything wrong with the same, box packed, completely new, great service as well, (Deliverd to Gurgaon w/o problem), maybe the guy has some old stock as he could not find me any "package" for the mezzos!

Regarding the rest of the stuff, I have got Denon 2309 (1909 dos not have the pre outs and is hardly available) and Marantz CD 6002, could'nt get the time to use the stuff yet,

A Big thanks to all the suggestions and advise, it has been a roller coster, with so many confusions, options explored etc.etc., In the end Im happy with the decision I have made.

Will keep the forum updated.

Best Regards,

Danccc

Danccc

If you dont mind could you please tell me what the price of the 2309 was... and did you get it from the same guy...

Also, and just for confirmation - this is the 908i, 905i etc. and not 908, 905 etc. i ask cos he gave me the brochure of the latter, though he orally confirmed that it was the 908i that he is talking about...

Siddharth

Yes it is the i series which he delivered, and to confirm, the prices were inclusive of taxes.

Denon 2309 I got from Bass "n" Treble in Dwarka for 48K incl. taxes and Marantz CD 6002 for 20K from the same place, though it is available for 18K from coimbtore as listed elsewhere in the forum.

Are you going for the sub 309i as well? I decided against it for now as the 908is go down to 35Hz and 309i as per the specs also goes upto 35Hz, so theoratically you only get the extra power at low frequencies from this sub, which again is not that impressive (150W).

Best Regards,

Danccc

Yes it is the i series which he delivered, and to confirm, the prices were inclusive of taxes.

Denon 2309 I got from Bass "n" Treble in Dwarka for 48K incl. taxes and Marantz CD 6002 for 20K from the same place, though it is available for 18K from coimbtore as listed elsewhere in the forum.

Are you going for the sub 309i as well? I decided against it for now as the 908is go down to 35Hz and 309i as per the specs also goes upto 35Hz, so theoratically you only get the extra power at low frequencies from this sub, which again is not that impressive (150W).

Best Regards,

Danccc

Dan,
I am now exactly in the same position. With Venkat's advice I got the Cambridge Audio 540D v2 for a CD/DVD player as it is good for stereo (good DAC). I am very keen on Denon AVR 1909. But I am very confused about the FloorStander speakers and the rest of the package. I am torn between:
1) Mordaunt Short 906i (23k)
2) Wharfedale 9.5 (26k) (I couldn't spot a single review anywhere,
I am concerned)
3) KEF iQ5 (award winner in 2006) (36k)
4) Monitor Audio BR5 (award winner last year) (45k)

You will notice they are listed in the increasing order of prices, and perhaps quality as well. But did you not consider KEF iQ or Monitor BRonze series at all? I am keen to know the reason why. Please help. I am auditioning all of them with my own collection of music spanning several genres (Carnatic, movie songs, western classical, pop and country).

- Vue

Dan,
I am now exactly in the same position. With Venkat's advice I got the Cambridge Audio 540D v2 for a CD/DVD player as it is good for stereo (good DAC). I am very keen on Denon AVR 1909. But I am very confused about the FloorStander speakers and the rest of the package. I am torn between:
I am concerned)

You will notice they are listed in the increasing order of prices, and perhaps quality as well. But did you not consider KEF iQ or Monitor BRonze series at all? I am keen to know the reason why. Please help. I am auditioning all of them with my own collection of music spanning several genres (Carnatic, movie songs, western classical, pop and country).

- Vue

Hi Vue:

This is an ideal setup, and you can't go wrong with this:

1. Cambridge Audio 540D v2.
2. Denon AVR 1909.
3. Wharfedale 9.5 (don't bother about review, it's an excellent FS that can serve both for music and movies, lovely warm speakers, hear it !!!)
:)

Dan,
I am concerned)

- Vue

I did review the 9.5s, but could not do the side by side with the MS and the setup where I reviewd it was not that great for me to make a real comparison. What clinched the deal for MS was the VFM for the package and the ability of 908i to go down to 35Hz ensuring that I will not miss much w/o the sub. The sub I will anyway add, but for the movie experience and the sub sonic punch. The reviews for Kefs and MA were tempting, but could not get hold of them for an audition and hence the choice was simpler for me!

For modest need I have, this is good enough and quite frankly at my home it sounds great, of course in the side by side comparison I noticed the difference, personally not significant enopugh to my years to pay double the price.

Best Regards,

Danccc

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back