A Home Theatre system with music in mind

danccc

Hello All,

Im new to this forum and have been researching a bit on the HT system Ive been yearning for,

Here are the options I have in mind,
AVR
Onkyo 606
Denon1909
Marantz SR6001
Marantz SR5002

Leaning towards Marantz6001 or Onkyo606,

DVD
Marantz DV7001
Marantz DV6001
Is 7001 really worth the extra price and also considering that it is out of stock most of the times.

Speakers set:
1) Mordaunt Short Avant series (906 for front,903 for surround905 for center and 309 for sub)
Would prefer the Mezzos but are twice as expensive (can somebody tell me if the difference is worth it and will it really be an upgrade considering the AVR and DVD Im considering.
2) Klipsch Synergy F2,C2,S2, sub10
3) Klipsch reference RF52,RC52,RS42,RW10D (Again a lot costlier than Synergy and wondering if the difference is really worth it considering the AVR and DVD Im considering.)

I live in an apartment and would be using this system mainly for music and ocassional movies. also would plan a 2nd zone (I have a set of Tannoy mercury bookshelfs and will get a basic Marantz CD player).

Will appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Also where can I get the Marantz gear in Delhi?

Best Regards,

Danccc

hey dan,

I am not as smart as others in here. If you are musical try first marantz then denon and the last Onkyo.

finally decide on features and how much they cost and you can decide.

Between Marantz 6001 and Onkyo 606.

606 has more features and mar has quality. And if you can afford go for it.
( you know you will have to upgrade after couple of years anyway)

Listen to them, all of them sound quite different and speakers and others matter.
Get what you like and life is permutation and combination.

And nobody can tell you which is best.

They can guide you to the best with your efforts.

good luck

for other things the experts in our forum will definitely respond.

cheers

Last edited:
hi danccc
i feel the klipsch speakers are better that the mordaunt shorts. mordaunt short seems to lack the dynamics and the presence.

I checked out the MS speakers and am almost convinced on the same, (only auditioned the Avant series, Are Mezzos really worth spending almost the double)

Still not sure though on the AVR yet, Marantz SR 6001 or SR 5002 (Is 6001 really worth the extra 15K over 5002) or Denon 1909 (Onkyo is almost out of contention now).

How much is the warranty on the Marantz, the distributor from Chennai mentioned 3Yrs while the dealer here said 1 year, How do I know that Im not getting the refurbished ones?

Would like real advise from the gurus.

Best Regrads,

Danccc

Hello All,,

The more Im waiting, the more I m getting confused specially since my budget is a bit flexible (1L to 2.5L for AVR, DVD and the 5.1 speaker set) though I would like to limit the spend to 1.5L.

The maths goes like this so far,

Marantz SR7002, DV 7001, and MS Avant series speakers
Total about 1.9L

Im kind of ok with the AVR and DVD specs ratings reviews etc. but not sure if I have chosen a "light" speaker package considering the choice of AVR and DVD?

An upgrade on the speaker package will be something which I may not be able to afford, but then will I get the propoer bang for the money I plan to spend on the AVR and the DVD...?

For the background, will be using this system mainly for the music (and hence the choice of the AVR and DVD with good audio ratings) and will noteven setup a dedicated HT room (I will use it in a room 15' by 10').

Will greatly appreciate comments and suggestions on this

Dancc:

This may sound a little disheartening, but look at the specs:

1. Marantz 6001

100 watts
HDMI 1.2
LPCM - No
Upscaling - No
8Hz - 100KHz at 0.08 THD
Room correction - Audessey

2. Marantz - 5002

90 Watts
HDMI 1.1
LPCM - No
Upscaling - No
8Hz - 100KHz at 0.08 THD
Room correction - Marantz (MRAC)

3. Denon - 1909

90 Watts
HDMI 1.3a
LPCM - Yes
Upscaling - To full 1080p through DCDi by Fardoudja
Room Correction - Audessey Multi EQ.

The LPCM is needed for decoding Dolby True HD, and DTS HD, the new surround formats in Blu-ray, DVD-A, and SACD.

Given these points, I think the Denon is way ahead of both these Marantzs. Though you have rejected the Onkyo it is also far ahead of these Marantzs.

Also look at the following thread:

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/2038-avr-movies-only.html

Regarding your DVD player, what is the price you are expecting to pay for the Marantz DVD Players. If it is anything over 15K, you should seriously look at Oppo Digital 981 available in India. Again, the Oppo is far ahead of these players in performance for both sound and video.

Cheers

Dear Dancc

Buddy...Don't get confused...

When you are considering music...
Then...

AVR - Marantz - SR - 6001
Speakers - Mordaunt Short - Front - MS-906i
Rear - MS-902i
Center - MS-905i
Sub - MS-309i
DVD Player - Pioneer - DV610
Cables - Usher-16 gauge - Rs.180 per mtr.
Monster - S-16 - Rs.150 per mtr.
QED - 16 gauge - Rs.150 per mtr.

No need of interconnects...

Secondly the reason for not suggesting MS-903i, is because 903i are Bi-Pole speakers and will suit only if placed on side walls that is 7.1 setup, not rear walls that is 5.1 only...So better go for normal bookshelf or Di-Pole...
so MS-902i is better...

In Delhi there are many people who supply the same...
You can consider the Fx Entertainment, so that you can get some discount, do let me know, before finalising, maybe i can get you a better price...

Thanks Venkat and Mridul,

Due to the upscaling and other specs and the various threads (Including the one from Sumit) I have already been considering "upspending" on SR 7002 instead of 6001/5002, and hence the quandry on the MS Avants...

Denon 1909, I agree that the specs rock and Im certainly open to it, but have not been able to audition one yet.

My general preference for Marantz if probably due to the lack of experience on other systems, the first real system (If I may call it so..)after those cheapo Panasonics has been a Marantz integrated CD-Amp with a pair of Tannoy Mercury bookshelfs (The CD player has conked off , and the Tannoys are still ok) and I loved the sound.. well it anyway was a huge upgrade from waht I had before :)

A fair point by Mridul on the 903s v/s 902s and I think I will go for it, But are the MSs good enough for the Marantz 7002 or Denon 1909.

For the DVD players, the prices I have from Marantz are 30K+ and hence will be open to suggestions.

Have checked out prices/availability at various locations (Cinebels/Sharda Motors) for Marantz and noticed that it is ok to decide and slect from there, but get it shipped directly from Refex in Chennai !

Will check out ProFx as recommended!

Tahnks again,

Danccc

The only reason for considering Marantz DVD was the audio and the "matching" with the AVR, but it looks like Venkat has convinced me to look elsewhere as well in the form of Oppo and the view looks great!

The reviews/specs for Oppo are great for video and not too bad for audio as well, so why not save a few grand, I may though prefer 980H or the 983H due to USB support,

Would like the comments on my choice of the AVR (SR 7002) as well, IMHO it is fully spec'd with good reviews as well, There is a slight premium for it being a Marantz.. but then Im getting a 3 years warranty as well, Any owner wants to comment..?

Denon 1909 looks like a good alternative, only waiting for it to be available for auditioning.. luckily Marantz and Denon are availble with the same guy in Dwarka and will be a good side by side,

Comments on the speaker combo..?

Regards,

Danccc

Well, comparing specs is just one of the ways to go about selecting any component in a HT system. Having heard the Denon 1908, I felt that it could not hold a candle to the Marantz SR5002 leave alone the more advanced models in terms of music.

Again, it all depends on what the main requirement is. Music or movies or a bit of both. If you are skewed towards music, then Marantz might be a better choice while the Denon seems to get in for the movie-minded folks.

Also I had great hopes for the Onkyo - especially the SR505. But it was an utter disappointment for music. I tried them with the PSB's. Maybe they dont gel well with the PSBs but I have to mention that that was my poorest experience in terms of playing music - on the PSBs. I did not test them for movie capability.

Well, comparing specs is just one of the ways to go about selecting any component in a HT system. Having heard the Denon 1908, I felt that it could not hold a candle to the Marantz SR5002 leave alone the more advanced models in terms of music.

Again, it all depends on what the main requirement is. Music or movies or a bit of both. If you are skewed towards music, then Marantz might be a better choice while the Denon seems to get in for the movie-minded folks.

Agree with you...
though Denon 1909 have much better specs...
But when it comes to Music only system... or system with Music in mind...
then Marantz 6001 or above beats... Denon in any ways....

Secondly Dancc...
Dont go for Marantz CD Player just because it matches the AVR or so...

Pioneer DV610 really gives value for money and is a good player...

Venkat i am amazed by your quotes for Pioneer DV610 being available at Rs.7K.... with my information it was... Rs.12.5K approx..
Correct me if i am wrong...

Im planning to go for an audition tomorrow for Marantz and Denon and the guy carries Wharfdales as well as Quads,

Any advise on these as compared to the Mordaunt Short Avants I have shortlisted so far.

Also the Audioholics recommends almost 50% budget of a HT system on speakers, with that logic I should be considering at least Mezzos (Considering the AVR Im considering), will Mezzos be the real upgrades to the Avants (They are almost double the price.. unless Mridul gets me a good discount from the Fx!).

How does the Oppo DVD compare with the Pioneer for video as well as audio.

Audioholics review seem to be giving a thumbs up to Oppo.

Best Regards,

Danccc

Also will the Oppo/Pioneer DVD players do justice to the Audio CDs (Which will be the primary media being used) and the AVR it will feed into, considering the advise seen many times on the various forums (Keep the source as clean as you can).

Or should I go for a dedicated CD player as well, no prizes for guessing this one.. Marantz CD 6002, This way for the price of the DVD I was originally considering marantz DV6001, I will get an Oppo DVD and a Marantz CD player and will be great for my Zone 2 as well if I put to use my Tannoy Mercuries...

Looks like it is all coming to shape or is it!!

Best Regards,

Danccc

Venkat i am amazed by your quotes for Pioneer DV610 being available at Rs.7K.... with my information it was... Rs.12.5K approx.. Correct me if i am wrong...

You could be right. I was just quoting a general price range. I have not checked in the market

Cheers

Well,

The hunt is still on,

I have been thinking to restrict to the AVR5003 instead of AVR7002 and invest the saving (25-30K) in a dedicated Amp or a better pair of front speakers. Sounds logical to me as the difference on paper between 5003 and 7002 is 20W per channel and THX certification and the rest of the features look the same, can somebody more experienced comment on this. Also it may sound too simplistic and even foolish, but if I normally do not listen at high volumes, will the added available power in 7002 be of any use.

One of the dealers (Not a Marantz dealer though) told me that the least I should go for is 7002 as it has a separate equalization control for all 7 channels (He was comparing it with the setup flexibility of a CA), when I downloaded the manuals for 7002 and 5003, I found the same equalization features in both or did I miss something? I was earlier thinking of going in for 7002 for better audio quality which I can instead get for two channels with a dedicated amp and satisfy the purists as well!

By the way, AVR 5003 seems to be a reasonale upgrade on the presently available AVR5002 with a lot of features previously available only on 7 series.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insight and experience.

Danccc

Hello All,,

The more Im waiting, the more I m getting confused specially since my budget is a bit flexible (1L to 2.5L for AVR, DVD and the 5.1 speaker set) though I would like to limit the spend to 1.5L.

The maths goes like this so far,

Marantz SR7002, DV 7001, and MS Avant series speakers
Total about 1.9L

Im kind of ok with the AVR and DVD specs ratings reviews etc. but not sure if I have chosen a "light" speaker package considering the choice of AVR and DVD?

An upgrade on the speaker package will be something which I may not be able to afford, but then will I get the propoer bang for the money I plan to spend on the AVR and the DVD...?

For the background, will be using this system mainly for the music (and hence the choice of the AVR and DVD with good audio ratings) and will noteven setup a dedicated HT room (I will use it in a room 15' by 10').

Will greatly appreciate comments and suggestions on this

Hi ,

Dear you can also try Harman / Kardon AVR if you would like to upgrade your package sometime later they are good for both music and movies wd dolby digital, dts, dolby prologic ii , and HDMI switching 7.1 good ref of a person near you would be Mr Jeetu 9999304774 he has good knowledge regarding audio setup .

Hi ,

Dear you can also try Harman / Kardon AVR if you would like to upgrade your package sometime later they are good for both music and movies wd dolby digital, dts, dolby prologic ii , and HDMI switching 7.1 good ref of a person near you would be Mr Jeetu 9999304774 he has good knowledge regarding audio setup .

Anup

You are going wrong...

I told you something...

No one will take you seriously...if you will do like that...

Well,

As a potential user of the help provided in this form by the experts, I would agree with Mridul,

Coming back to the original queries,, Im still looking for some specific guidance,

1) SR 7002 or SR5003 + a dedicated stereo Amp (But in this case probably I can go for Denon 1909 as music is taken care of by the dedicated stereo Amp)

2) Speakers: Mezzos, are they really worth the price and I have kind of found Quads a bit better (Auditioned 12L2, but considering 22L2 for the fronts, without the sub at this stage as 22L2 go down in 30s)

Bset Regards,

Danccc

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back