A question for 42" PV8 user -

vinod_david

Banned
Banned
Hi:

I very much love PV8 as you all do for their SD pictures and stunning color reproduction, but there is one thing that's really really bothering me:(

Please tell me how do you like DVD pictures from your PV8 ?

Am I missing something here:confused:

Agree with psychotropic, please ensure that you use 15 amp for your plasma, don;t use 5 amp for the same, even though it works on a 5 amp

Agree with psychotropic, please ensure that you use 15 amp for your plasma, don;t use 5 amp for the same, even though it works on a 5 amp
I wonder why. The plasma specs say that it draws around 380Watts.
For a 240v supply it works out to around 1.5 Amps current draw?

Am I missing something?

Hi, vinod I will join you in this query with some additions.

I have seen one PV 8 in this place ( this guy didn't even get up from his chair to tell me anything, since he was the only guy I could see).

It was looking very dull, infront of all LCD.

I have read lot of posts of mridul which explains it why it may be.

I want to know how they really are at home.

I have to decide between this or Sam 40" LCD for 65k. Which my wife has agreed. She did not like plasma. Sam 32 didn't approve, worried I may buy again after couple months if I go for smaller.

Power Consumption

Why would a TV consuming only 330Watts max require 15 Amp socket?
My 42" PV8 is running thru' a 500VA stabilizer with 5Amp socket. And I never face any problems.
This TV has a soft start (like most nowadays), the LED blinks for a few seconds and then the screen lights up, so there should not be much of starting surge current either.
Regarding DVD PQ, the image looks slight grainy when viewed from a close distance like 7-8 ft, but at 10-11 ft, it's perfectly fine. Otherwise, the DVD picture quality is very good.
@pradski: A plasma generally looks dull compared to LCDs in a showroom environment. But at home, I find that a plasma is much better, since I have used both LCD as well as Plasma in my home.

Last edited:
Hi, vinod I will join you in this query with some additions.

I have seen one PV 8 in this place ( this guy didn't even get up from his chair to tell me anything, since he was the only guy I could see).

It was looking very dull, infront of all LCD.

I have read lot of posts of mridul which explains it why it may be.

I want to know how they really are at home.

I have to decide between this or Sam 40" LCD for 65k. Which my wife has agreed. She did not like plasma. Sam 32 didn't approve, worried I may buy again after couple months if I go for smaller.

Hi pradski:

Yeah, you observed too. Hope am really convinced about PV8 before taking the plunge.:(

I got my pv8 a couple of days ago. In the showroom it was looking a lot better than a lot of other TVs, including some sonys and samsungs costing a lot more than pv8.

At home too, it looks good. Tried some of the animation DVDs like toy story, finding nemo etc, also the indiana jones 4. Initially it was connected with just a composite video cable, today I got the component video cable and that gave a huge improvement in video quality for the DVDs. The colors and the entire image cleared up big time. Overall, I am very happy with this product.

As for the broadcast, I use hathway set top box, with composite video cable. The picture is a bit soft, but that was the case with my CRT too, the direct cable gives much sharper picture and better colors than the set top box. I guess this is an issue with the composite video cables, or the set top box, because I had the same issues with my 29" CRT also.

I dont have any HD sources, so cant say about that, but in the store, the HD sources were being played as well as any full HD LCD tv in the store.

Take my opinions with a pinch of salt as this is my first big screen tv, and I have owned it for just 2 days.

I got my pv8 a couple of days ago. In the showroom it was looking a lot better than a lot of other TVs, including some sonys and samsungs costing a lot more than pv8.

At home too, it looks good. Tried some of the animation DVDs like toy story, finding nemo etc, also the indiana jones 4. Initially it was connected with just a composite video cable, today I got the component video cable and that gave a huge improvement in video quality for the DVDs. The colors and the entire image cleared up big time. Overall, I am very happy with this product.

As for the broadcast, I use hathway set top box, with composite video cable. The picture is a bit soft, but that was the case with my CRT too, the direct cable gives much sharper picture and better colors than the set top box. I guess this is an issue with the composite video cables, or the set top box, because I had the same issues with my 29" CRT also.

I dont have any HD sources, so cant say about that, but in the store, the HD sources were being played as well as any full HD LCD tv in the store.

Take my opinions with a pinch of salt as this is my first big screen tv, and I have owned it for just 2 days.

Hi:

Thanx for the review.

Vinod, why not the Samsung? As I said, I read a lot of foreign discussion forums where they mention that Samsung exceeds the PV8 in colour reproduction. If you want an extensive audition, please feel to drop in at my place. I can demo it for you with the AV Max DVD from my 1080p upscaling Sony NS708 hooked up by HDMI.

Vinod, why not the Samsung? As I said, I read a lot of foreign discussion forums where they mention that Samsung exceeds the PV8 in colour reproduction. If you want an extensive audition, please feel to drop in at my place. I can demo it for you with the AV Max DVD from my 1080p upscaling Sony NS708 hooked up by HDMI.

Which Samsung model you are talking about?

The 42" PN42A410......superb TV....similar price as the PV8.
Psychotropic,

I have finally decided on 40" sam lcd(WAF has caused it).
All this time was in plasma dilemma. Can't find one to see also.
Is that sam plasma that good.
Will I not regret for an lcd sam.

it is boss! i compared it to the LCDs as well. You will not regret. I myself was looking for LCDs, when I stumbled upon this gem.

YOu're going to pay 65k for a 40"? Here you will pay 51-53k for 42 inches. That itself is a clincher. In addition to that, it looks better than the LCD. Do have a look at it before you buy as well.

Psychotropic,

I have finally decided on 40" sam lcd(WAF has caused it).
All this time was in plasma dilemma. Can't find one to see also.
Is that sam plasma that good.
Will I not regret for an lcd sam.

Vinod: I'm not sure if i'm the only who feels this way but the showroom in Chennai where I checked out the Viera's did not have them on high contrast and brightness setting. Based on my observation I guess the personnel don't know how to do it. Compare it to the Sony showrooms which have juiced up tv's!

Hi, the panasonic pv80 is very good plasma Tv for high definition,and like all high def Tvs the standard def or dvd playback is ok to quite good.To get the best out of these Tvs your dvd player should be good and you must use only component connections.Also if you are intending to buy a plasma or Lcd to watch dvd or cable, the lcd does not match up to the plasma.

The plasma tvs to check out for buyers are panasonic pv80, Lg pg61 and samsung a450.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back