AC recommendation for dedicated HT Room

john_k_antony

Friends,

I would like to get your valuable recommendation for the AC for my dedicated HT room.

My house is in Bangalore and its a duplex house. HT room is on the 1st floor with a flat roof. 2 sides of the room is exposed to sun light. There are no windows for the room. Wire cut red bricks are used for construction. The room dimensions are 24x15.7x10. After acoustic treatment, I hope the dimensions to change to 24x15x9 making the volume of the room to be 3250 cuft.

Now comes the challenging part. Which options to choose from below for AC in the room?

1. Type - Split / Cassette
2. Capacity - 2/3/4 T
3. Operation Type - Inverter / Regular
4. Budget - 1L (including installation)
5. Any specific brand recommendation ?

Thank you very much in advance for your valuable inputs.

Thanks,
John.

To my knowledge for 24ft L x 15ft w 2T is good enough. Only advantage of going 3T it will cool the room quickly and will save the electricity.

Yep I agree with mr Srinisundar, again depends how your room is designed.
My take would be Mitsubishi 2T inverter.

Oak.

Hmmm. Seems like no one is in favor of cassette AC!. The Idea of 2x1.5T inverter ACs is the most popular choice.

-John.

I have had very good experience with Hitachi. Very silent (hardly audible from my listening position which is 2 metres away) & efficient. Make sure you buy a 5-star rated AC even though it is slightly more expensive. You could use 2 x 1.2T if you go with Hitachi as they are more powerful & efficient.

Hmmm. Seems like no one is in favor of cassette AC!. The Idea of 2x1.5T inverter ACs is the most popular choice.

-John.

I think very few will have cassette ac at home. They are classified as commercial systems. I've found them pretty good and silent wherever I've seen them although I did not know what tonnage was in use.

They are better in terms of distribution of cool air in all directions of the room. If you are going for false ceiling, and it fits within your budget you can go for it.

Since they are commercial, and you are in Blore, you shouldn't have trouble with service/support. Go for AMC after the warranty period. AMC usually covers 3-4 regular checkup and cleaning.

I will be having an acoustic false ceiling. I liked cassette AC for the fact that it can cool the entire room more effectively as its located in the center of the room and can flow air in all the four directions. I think a 2-3T cassette AC is affordable with in my budget. However I don't think I can afford an inverted cassette AC. Also the power consumption of cassette AC seems to be more as I don't see any energy rating specified for cassette ACs.

-John.

I will be having an acoustic false ceiling. I liked cassette AC for the fact that it can cool the entire room more effectively as its located in the center of the room and can flow air in all the four directions. I think a 2-3T cassette AC is affordable with in my budget. However I don't think I can afford an inverted cassette AC. Also the power consumption of cassette AC seems to be more as I don't see any energy rating specified for cassette ACs.

-John.

There is no issue in using the cassette type ac, but make sure that the depth should not be more than 1ft after the installation, else the ceiling ht should accommodate that.

From my personal experience, even a split AC (and that includes ceiling cassette type unit) is too loud. I can at times hear the low hum of the projector fan also. This is usually the case when watching the drama genre. I guess Action films would be less of a hassle.

From my personal experience, even a split AC (and that includes ceiling cassette type unit) is too loud. I can at times hear the low hum of the projector fan also. This is usually the case when watching the drama genre. I guess Action films would be less of a hassle.

Sensitive ears have their own problems. We will hear some faint noise from somewhere ;)

It is the reason I do not have any analog clocks in my room. I can't stand the faint ticking sound.

I highly recommend Daikin but they are expensive. They have an advantage in that the unit can be placed pretty far away from the split unit (about 40ft) but there's a corresponding loss in efficiency. Daikins are quiet - very quiet and powerful. Very nice to have in a HT room.

There are a few other brands that are in the Daikin class like O General etc but I haven't used them so can't comment. Daikin India has setup a very decent service network which is very handy. I am pretty satisfied with the guys I am dealing with.

So as per popular recommendation, I will go with one of the following choices

1. 2x1.5T split ACs, inverter type. One installed on the rear wall and other one on the side wall

2. One 2T split AC, inverter type. Installed on the rear wall.

Option #2 will workout cheaper. I think I can get an inverter based 2T AC for less than 75K right?

Brands I narrowed downed are Daikin and Hitachi for now. I am not sure about the service network of Hitachi. Daikin seems to have set up a pretty good service network in Bangalore. How is Voltas and Bluestar?

I am kinda staying away from cassette AC now because of high price (for an inverter type) and potentially high maintenance head ache.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I am planning to visit Daikin Solution Plaza this weekend and talk to them regarding my requirement.

Thanks,
John.

John, I forgot to mention this but maybe someone else has. The Daikins are very energy efficient and will save you a lot of money in terms of your electricity bills. The entire consumer branded lot - LG / Samsung / Voltas etc are much cheaper but will burden you with massive bills down the line ... so much so the Daikins I own pretty much paid for themselves within a year.

I highly recommend Daikin but they are expensive. They have an advantage in that the unit can be placed pretty far away from the split unit (about 40ft) but there's a corresponding loss in efficiency. Daikins are quiet - very quiet and powerful. Very nice to have in a HT room.

There are a few other brands that are in the Daikin class like O General etc but I haven't used them so can't comment. Daikin India has setup a very decent service network which is very handy. I am pretty satisfied with the guys I am dealing with.
O'General is an excellent AC. I can assure you. So is Hitachi.

I heard OGeneral split AC units are available in chennai grey market for some really attractive prices. Is that true?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back