Accoustic Portrait TC-2 & Mordaunt Short 908i

Gijo George

My first set of HIFI separates are the Yamaha 661 AVR and the MS Avant 908i 5.1 speaker package bought on Jan 2008. For the past few years Ive been using these and thought they sound pretty good. Then I joined this forum last year and came across an umpteen number of reviews. There were so many terms for describing the quality of speakers like soundstage, width, depth, height which are kind of difficult for a noob like me to understand. The Avant 908 always came across as a good all rounder till a few months back when most of my collection was alternative rock, pop and trance. Then I moved on to a bit of classical Indian and Western and some instrumentals.

Somehow the Avant seemed muddy/muffled for presenting this music.
Then I read a review from one of the forum members (cant remember who) auditioned a DIY floorstander in Delhi I think, wherein the exact detail of how the listener hears each instrument clearly and more importantly, the placement of the instruments and vocals without distorting the overall presentation. He had explained how he could place the singer and on another track, each instrument in the orchestra behind, between and front of the speakers. In short a good 3D experience.

I had been to anilva's house in Bangalore couple of weeks back to collect my Emotiva XPA-5 where on short notice he was kind enough to let me listen to his DIY Class A amp and Forstex full range speakers which sounded amazing. As we had to rush back we managed to squeeze in just a few tracks and from those what really interested me was Yeh jo des hai mera from Swades where the shehnai (think thats what its called)notes and thabla were mesmerizing.

Somehow, maybe because of whatever reasons, I couldnt experience that with my MSs. I was discussing this with iaudio(Titus) and he invited me over to his place to check his Accoustic Portrait TC-2. His placement of speakers is bit different from how Ive kept mine. His speakers were pulled about 3-4 feet from the rear wall while mine is about a feet away.

Titus Stereo Setup : Marantz CD6003||Acoustic Portrait PM1||Acoustic Portrait AM1||Acoustic Portrait TC-2||

My set up: Marantz CD-6003-Yamaha AVR 661-Emotiva XPA5-Mordaunt Short Avant 908
But considering Ive got my system in my living room and any attempt to move the speakers more to the front would be an obstruction for movement around the room and my wife wouldnt fancy it either.:mad: Moreover Titus is still single and has the liberty to place the speaker bang right in the centre of the room if he wants and no one to complain.

His first track was a Chinese drums instrumental. I was really surprised as to how lifelike the sound was. You could actually hear the fine nuance of the drum membrane reverberation (titus called it some fancy word I cant remember :eek:), if thats what you call it, and almost like you have a drummer right in front of you playing it.

Another track I found that really differentiated the APs was one from Anjaana Anjaani - thuje bhula diya & khwaab jo from London Dreams. In the latter I could actually, for the first time, place Shankar mahadevan and Rahat fateh ali khan and all the other instruments and get a well defined presentation of each of them.

High Hopes- The Division Bell-Pink Floyd: The opening part with the church bells seemed really full and had real depth you feel someone clanging on them and coming closer from far behind the speaker.

I dont think my trance collection would really get the punch out of the APs but however from the joy it offers Im tempted to actually shift to a different genre of music if this is the quality I get.
Now my mind is full of what permutations and combinations I can do to find out what exactly, if any, is the weak link in my set up. That would mean shifting a lot of gear around my apartment and carrying a lot of gear to and fro Tituss place.:D

But in the end Im sure itll be worth it coz if none of this works I may go for an upgrade.:eek:hyeah:

My advise from experience to all fellow noobs out there. You have more than enough high street brands which forum members are talking about and probably enough dealers to audition them. While you're at it please take time out to listen to a few DIY and commercially made speakers made in India coz what I heard were really good. You can come across quite a forum members who have these and ofcourse arrange for an audition which I'm sure most them will be happy to oblige.

regards

Gijo, without a doubt, what you say here is true ....

I could not get to see you during my short trip to Cochin. However, had enough time to go and meet iaudio and see - hear his system. iaudio definitely had asked me to try and hear your equipment .... maybe, next time.

Gijo George,

The speaker you are talking about is not a DIY speaker. It is made by a company engaged in making and selling them commercially and cannot be termed as DIY.

I visited Cochin last month & tried calling iaudio to listen to his setup but alas, my call was not responded.

Hi captainji

You mean the one in Delhi? Coz I hadn't mentioned titus speakers in particular as DIY. If you know the one in Delhi that I'm talking about could you post a link? Coz for the life of me I cant retrace the thread.
How're things going with you. I ordered the Marantz AV 7005prepro/7055 power by the way. Will decide on keeping it after I listen to it. Should be getting it in the next few days.
Regards

You mean the one in Delhi? Coz I hadn't mentioned titus speakers in particular as DIY. If you know the one in Delhi that I'm talking about could you post a link? Coz for the life of me I cant retrace the thread.
Oopsy. My bad. Thought you were speaking abt APs. BTW, I'm not aware of this DIY thingy of Delhi.
I ordered the Marantz AV 7005prepro/7055 power by the way.

Congrats.

Oye, Captain! Sorry I missed your call!

I think what Gijo is trying to say is there are a lot of diy as well as indian commercial brands which cam hoh are worth trying along with the popular phoren brands.
Gijo, avidyarthy, thanks for coming over, had a great time.

Congrats iaudio! :)

Glad to hear your speakers are working out super for you! Looks like you managed to place them well too! You're sure benefitting from the Acoustic Portrait synergy in components.

regards

Congrats iaudio...... and nice writeup Gijo!!!!

@iaudio , can we have the pleasure of seeing the complete setup in a picture format ? :licklips::rolleyes:

:signthankspin:

Kittu saar, Thanks. I would post pics but the rosy picture that Gijo had posted about the way it sounds would be nullified the poor aesthetics of my apartment!

Why not the higher end Bookshelf speaker form the same company MS101 ? It uses higher grade drivers, cabinetry and crossover than the TC2.

Dr.Bass, if you are asking me if why I did not go for the higher end Ms101, its because I bought the speakers used from gvenu on our forum. Also as you know Siva does not have any of these speakers in stock anymore.
Yes the MS101 does have better cabinet,crossover but I think my TC2 has identical Vifa drivers.

Btw, here's a link to what our own avidyarthy had to say about the set up:
http://www.hifivision.com/general-l...share-your-experiences-here-4.html#post225644

Last edited:
Well, looks like we all are going ga-ga over the Acoustic Portrait TC2. Yes, these are very good speakers.

But, are we not missing out on the very capable AP preamp and the power amp, and, of course, the source? These should be making the entire thing 'ga-ga'.

Whats the current cost of the AP preamp and power amp?

are we not missing out on the very capable AP preamp and the power amp, and, of course, the source? These should be making the entire thing 'ga-ga'.
You can bet on that.
They are no more in production. AFAIK, they are coming out with much superior amps at a much costlier price, in the region of 1 lakh.

Well, looks like we all are going ga-ga over the Acoustic Portrait TC2. Yes, these are very good speakers.

But, are we not missing out on the very capable AP preamp and the power amp, and, of course, the source? These should be making the entire thing 'ga-ga'.

Completely agree with avidyarthy.

The speakers are good but the preamp and the amp in the chain are over achievers. It is the system which is making the music. I have extensive experience with AP gear and I can say that the TCs can be upgraded to ones costing three or four times the cost and the associated gear will scale to meet the demand.

Yes, absolutely. Thats the feeling I have too. That the amplification is very potent and that the speakers might be even limiting it. But it will have to do for now. Until, I am ready to get my own Scanspeak based speakers in future.

iaudio .... watch it.

You have a lotta loose connections in your system. The plugs - sockets HAVE to be tight fit. The loose points are a source of 'sparking', which invariably pushes high current intermittently to the valve based pre-amp/power amp. This could ruin your set-up in the long run.

Suggest, look around for close fitting electricals, and also upgrade the stabilizer to around 1 KVA. A safety factor of 3-4 is extremely good on the stabilizer front, though, a bit too much.

Yet another thing, why not ask a local carpenter to fabricate a suitable rack for your system. A vertical type .... the power amp on top ... the CDp in between ... and then the pre-amp. A wooden polished thing should not cost more than 2 k. Then, you shan't have issues to put in pics in here ... :p . The speaker exterior too could do with a coat of wood polish. Believe me, you would feel proud (er) of what you possess ....

Why not the higher end Bookshelf speaker form the same company MS101 ? It uses higher grade drivers, cabinetry and crossover than the TC2.

Hi,

I am getting a Floor stander made by Siva in 2-3 weeks time with Scan speak drivers in MTM configuration. With that I will be complete with AP stuff except the DAC! May be next year

BTW, I have relocated to Bangalore from Jan 11!

Regards,
Venu

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back