Acoustics for 26*19 dedicated HT

samcruise

Hi guys, I am planning to set up my dedicated HT which is of measurement 26*19. My idea is to get the room acoustically well done since its a one time thing(electronics keep changing but acoustics not much). I am from Hyderabad and any help in this regard is highly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more details. Thank you :)

I have been visiting different stores in the city and have been getting kind of different opinions on how to get the acoustics done. Really confusing:confused:

Civil work is pending
Or all civil work is done ??

Civil work is done. I have a dedicated room with 4 walls painted one coat of paint and marble flooring done for evenness (final flooring would be laminate or carpet). I am looking to make it aesthetically and acoustically good like a dedicated HT.

Last edited:
Civil work is done. I have a dedicated room with 4 walls painted one coat of paint and marble flooring done for evenness (final flooring would be laminate or carpet). I am looking to make it aesthetically and acoustically good like a dedicated HT.

Post some pics it will be great,when you have already done flooring with marble then only option is carpet say 2inch thickness for sound absorption.

Even i am into the same business you can read my thread here lots of information is given regarding acoustics.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/62099-dedicated-home-theatre.html

Regarding acestical looks one option is false ceiling i intend to do only 1.5ft from the corners not fully to fix the spot lights and in the front say 4ft.
and since dedicated room dark colours like red,royalblue,black is best,dark grey etc..are better suited,if you intend to make the whole room with acoustic treatment which gives looks and also sound treatment here are few links.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35209-my-home-theater.html

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/59263-pics-my-home-theater.html

For best results 4feet from the front wall including ceiling/side walls should be black in colour in any form say if you intend to use acoustic cloth,velvet cloth or paint to get better picture/contrast from the screen.

r/s

Post some pics it will be great,when you have already done flooring with marble then only option is carpet say 2inch thickness for sound absorption.

Even i am into the same business you can read my thread here lots of information is given regarding acoustics.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/62099-dedicated-home-theatre.html

Regarding acestical looks one option is false ceiling i intend to do only 1.5ft from the corners not fully to fix the spot lights and in the front say 4ft. Since dedicated room dark colours like red, royalblue, black are best; dark grey etc. are better suited, if you intend to make the whole room with acoustic treatment which gives looks and also sound treatment here are few links.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/35209-my-home-theater.html

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/59263-pics-my-home-theater.html

For best results 4feet from the front wall including ceiling/side walls should be black in colour in any form say if you intend to use acoustic cloth,velvet cloth or paint to get better picture/contrast from the screen.

Thank you for the links. I am going through the thread and there seems to be a lot of good information up for grabs, i will surely have a better idea. Carpet would be the best option going forward but i am also looking at maintenance and so inclined towards laminate flooring. I will check all other options as well and proceed further :)

These are few pics of my room, a rough layout and snaps of side and back walls. Excuse me for the stuff lying around :p

Now what needs to be done to the front, side and rear walls? Ceiling is it ok if i go with just acoustic tiles from armstrong or anutone?

Side walls: few stores have been suggesting me to build 2inch ply panels on the wall and stuff it with 50mm synthwool + pine wood wool boards 15mm + 10/12mm foam + fabricgrip system + fabric in that order from the wall. Now is all of that required for all the 4 walls completely?

I might be saying it one few many times but i am looking at acoustically and aesthetically pleasing room :)

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 132
  • ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 134
  • sidewall.jpg
    sidewall.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 132
  • backwall.jpg
    backwall.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the links. I am going through the thread and there seems to be a lot of good information up for grabs, i will surely have a better idea.
Carpet would be the best option going forward but i am also looking at maintenance and so inclined towards laminate flooring. I will check all other options as well and proceed further :)

Tile/laminate flooring are good for maintenance. But it is highly reflective for sound. You would need some kind of absorption to kill early reflections. Since it is a dedicated HT, give it serious thought.

Cheers,
Raghu

You have a large room
i dont see any windows
most of your walls are brick and o WOOD partitions
youve already won half the battle ( with sound leakage and isolation )

i would do absorbtion on the floor and ceiling

Diffusion on the rear walls

the entire front wall behind the screen left to right and top to bottom do a 4 inch absorption carcas filled with anything but glass/rockwool - bonded recron or composite wool would be best ( well i would do 8 inches but that takes away to much real estate )

if you are more into HT than stereo
dont rack your head too much about first and second reflection points

stepped
angled side walls ( diffusion ) would be nice

FM sams i think has done something similar

Tile/laminate flooring are good for maintenance. But it is highly reflective for sound. You would need some kind of absorption to kill early reflections. Since it is a dedicated HT, give it serious thought.

Cheers,
Raghu

my plan is to go with laminate flooring and place a thick rug at the first reflection point infront of the speakers. Hopefully that would help but like i mentioned its all in decision making stages so carpet is also not out of the picture :)

You have a large room
i dont see any windows
most of your walls are brick and o WOOD partitions
youve already won half the battle ( with sound leakage and isolation )

i would do absorbtion on the floor and ceiling

Diffusion on the rear walls

the entire front wall behind the screen left to right and top to bottom do a 4 inch absorption carcas filled with anything but glass/rockwool - bonded recron or composite wool would be best ( well i would do 8 inches but that takes away to much real estate )

if you are more into HT than stereo
dont rack your head too much about first and second reflection points

stepped
angled side walls ( diffusion ) would be nice

FM sams i think has done something similar

When you mentioned bonded recron, is that similar to synth/poly wool? And do you suggest putting that in a more denser form or fluffy way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Carpet would be the best option going forward but i am also looking at maintenance and so inclined towards laminate flooring.I will check all other options as well and proceed further :)
For taming floor reflections carpet is the only solution and it is to be layed from the LCR (left,center,right speakers) to the first listening position,no need for you to do floor lamination as it will be covered with carpet,maintenance is required but for better results thats the way to go.

Now what needs to be done to the front, side and rear walls? Ceiling is it ok if i go with just acoustic tiles from armstrong or anutone?

For front walls there's baffle wall method as suggested in my thread by manoj.p,the other method is rectangle rigid fiberglass/rockwool min 6-8inches on all 4 corner walls absorption from floor to ceiling to reduce bass boom and around speakers, and behind center speaker for back side reflection.

For the rear wall as manoj says Insulation the rockwool batts fluffy type- 24inch thickness very effective to control BB upto 30hz or along with corner bass traps - 4x2 panels - 2inch thickness -2absorber and 1diffuser in the middle of them.

You can also treat the whole ht room walls with absorber say upto 4-5 feet high or better slightly higher then the tweeter level of the mains,and the remaining top portion can paint them,but see that your room should not sound complete dead.

For ceiling as you thought of acoustic tiles from armstrong or anutone they are good but costly,see that you buy in black colour or use again absorption panels for the 1st and 2nd reflection points.

Side walls: few stores have been suggesting me to build 2inch ply panels on the wall and stuff it with 50mm synthwool + pine wood wool boards 15mm + 10/12mm foam + fabricgrip system + fabric in that order from the wall. Now is all of that required for all the 4 walls completely?

Its rubbish they dont do anything,but the method is good instead of synthwool use either rigid rock/glass wool.

here's link of hifi member santhosh it will be useful.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/5159-building-my-home-theatre-room-please-guide-me-3.html

thanks
r/s.

For taming floor reflections carpet is the only solution and it is to be layed from the LCR (left,center,right speakers) to the first listening position,no need for you to do floor lamination as it will be covered with carpet,maintenance is required but for better results thats the way to go.

For front walls there's baffle wall method as suggested in my thread by manoj.p,the other method is rectangle rigid fiberglass/rockwool min 6-8inches on all 4 corner walls absorption from floor to ceiling to reduce bass boom and around speakers, and behind center speaker for back side reflection.

For the rear wall as manoj says Insulation the rockwool batts fluffy type- 24inch thickness very effective to control BB upto 30hz or along with corner bass traps - 4x2 panels - 2inch thickness -2absorber and 1diffuser in the middle of them.

You can also treat the whole ht room walls with absorber say upto 4-5 feet high or better slightly higher then the tweeter level of the mains,and the remaining top portion can paint them,but see that your room should not sound complete dead.

For ceiling as you thought of acoustic tiles from armstrong or anutone they are good but costly,see that you buy in black colour or use again absorption panels for the 1st and 2nd reflection points.

Its rubbish they dont do anything,but the method is good instead of synthwool use either rigid rock/glass wool.

here's link of hifi member santhosh it will be useful.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/5159-building-my-home-theatre-room-please-guide-me-3.html

thanks
r/s.

Yeah i had a discussion with Manoj and he gave me good inputs about the way to go forward. I just started reading about baffle wall concept, so that might take a little time to understand and i have to check if the speakers that i am planning would suit such installation.

Rock/glass wool, i heard, is not very safe and it causes discomfort some time down the line. I am not sure how far that's true but i experienced such discomfort during auditioning of speakers at a couple of places and they told me it's because of rockwool. So i believe it must be :)

Yeah i had a discussion with Manoj and he gave me good inputs about the way to go forward. I just started reading about baffle wall concept, so that might take a little time to understand and i have to check if the speakers that i am planning would suit such installation.

Rock/glass wool, i heard, is not very safe and it causes discomfort some time down the line. I am not sure how far that's true but i experienced such discomfort during auditioning of speakers at a couple of places and they told me it's because of rockwool. So i believe it must be :)

baffle wall method will be great if implemented properly the main advantage is no any sort of reverberation,no edges for sound to reflect back,since the drivers are flush mounted on the front wall.Any speaker can be fixed.

Coming to rock/glass wool they are very highly effective to overcome reflected or standing waves if properly used.you have to cover them with 2-3mm foam so that the wool can be intact, on them either cotton or jute breathable cloth.

You have to keep your ht room airey when not in use....to remove bad smell.

r/s

I have read somewhere that the black color insulation material that we use to insulate copper piping for AC can also be used for absorption. Is that true? I do not know if it's going to be cheaper or better absorbing but i read it somewhere that HVAC insulation material is good as well. Please suggest. I have attached the pictures of the ones that i am talking about :)

Attachments

• 25-lNfKVzYJTqAB-1-1.jpg
    25-lNfKVzYJTqAB-1-1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 106
  • inrise_191408225_s.jpg
    inrise_191408225_s.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 106
Hi guys...finally i am ready to start the work this month. I just want to make sure i am correct before the work is started. I will list out what i am planning to do according to what i understood so far, please let me know if i am on the right track.

WALLS:

1) I would build 2ft*4ft or 2ft*2ft panels with 18mm ply on all the 4 walls.
2) I would fill the panels with 50mm thick, 1000gsm synth wool.
3) Now i would spot the reflection points with the mirror method and place wood wool boards of 15mm thickness 2ft either side of the reflection point(i.e, total 4ft at each reflection point) and from floor to ceiling.
4) The other areas where i don't place the wood wool boards i would place a 6mm or 9mm ply on top of the synth wool providing a gap of about 1inch between them.
5) 10mm or 12mm PU foam on top of these
6) Fabric gripper system and then finish with fabric.

CEILING:

Use anutone or similar acoustic boards throughout or use ply to make panels, fill with synthwool and cover with fabric (please suggest which is better)

FLOORING:

Laminate is what i am planning for flooring with a decent size carpet for the first reflection point on the floor.

Please let me know if what i mentioned above is a good way forward or if any changes to any particular point is needed. Thank you

Note: I am looking for inwall LCR's behind the screen, so mostly would go with the baffle wall behind the screen.

i am in a similar phase.not sure how those ply will help as absorbers i thought need to be in inches. Are you also planning bass traps in the corners?

i am in a similar phase.not sure how those ply will help as absorbers i thought need to be in inches. Are you also planning bass traps in the corners?

Hi, the 6mm ply that i mentioned is not for absorption exactly, its more of a reflection/diffusion pattern. The reflection points, i am going to treat them with wood wool boards and remaining areas with the 6mm ply.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back