Active System with BEYMA 15CXA400FE COAXIAL Drivers, Finally Arrived !!!

Re: Beyma 15CXA400Fe Co-Ax Drivers Based Active Speakers

on B&C,website there is a indian ditsributor in mumbai,eminence i have not checked.

We do have coaxials from other companies but HF flare comes with Beyma only.

Kanwar, these coaxials are surely interesting. I am wondering if they are suitable for low volume listening? Say 50-80 dB level?

Also, are they on the faster side compared to biggies such Tannoy Reds/HPDs or slower side?

Kanwar, these coaxials are surely interesting. I am wondering if they are suitable for low volume listening? Say 50-80 dB level?

Also, are they on the faster side compared to biggies such Tannoy Reds/HPDs or slower side?

Yes they are perfectly fit for low volume listening as well.

Can you elaborate more on this faster/slower terminology.

Hi,

Ah, then take it as Faster

I presume you make this statement after having actually heard a Tannoy Red.

Regards
Rajiv

It would be really great to hear these drivers in their respective suitable cabinets with suitable electronics at one place (in one room). So that we can get a first hand feel of old vs new and make our conclusions rather than dwell upon speculations.

I am long looking for alternates to famous vintage drivers. I hope they exist!

The question I have been asking is - why can't manufacturer's produce same or better drivers compared to what they produced 30-40 years ago? My curiosity is a logical one and in the wake of all the advances that material science and manufacturing industry has made.

The next logical question I have is - if there are drivers that can work as good as those biggies or better, which are they? If there aren't, why?

I would be very very surprised if the answer to my questions is - no vintage drivers are the best and can't be bettered.

Hope I have a valid query here.

Excellent thought raneetrain. I have been on the hunt for years to find the modern equivalent and yet to find one. As a musician who has spent many hours amounting to years in recording studios listening to what we just played coming out of many speakers, and yet to find a modern driver beat the tone and timbre of the Altec.

That being said, why do you have to take my word for it. Being in Delhi Why don't you visit Mr.Viren listen to his horn loaded Altecs, visit Malvai listen to his Altecs. These should give you a comparison and reference point to hunt for a modern driver.

When newbies ask for suggestions for speakers the usual reply on the forum is "don't go by what someone tells you, trust your ears, go and audition". Why should it be any different here? Get a reference point and find a modern driver.

It would be really great to hear these drivers in their respective suitable cabinets with suitable electronics at one place (in one room). So that we can get a first hand feel of old vs new and make our conclusions rather than dwell upon speculations.

The question I have been asking is - why can't manufacturer's produce same or better drivers compared to what they produced 30-40 years ago? My curiosity is a logical one and in the wake of all the advances that material science and manufacturing industry has made.

The next logical question I have is - if there are drivers that can work as good as those biggies or better, which are they? If there aren't, why?

I would be very very surprised if the answer to my questions is - no vintage drivers are the best and can't be bettered.

Hi Ranjeetrain

I suggest you hear them personally. People here have limited experience. Suggest you browse other forums to get a clearer picture.

Apart from whether driver is vintage or modern, size matters. A 5 inch full ranger will sound faster than a 8 inch full ranger which will sound faster than a 12 inch and so on.

Depending on the material of the cone, texture of sound changes. This is something you will have to hear for yourself. You cannot go on hearsay. I personally like paper cone.

Knowing the magnet that is used is also important. My experience here is Ferrite handles macrodynamics better, Neo is relatively better for microdynamics, speed and attack whereas Alnico is relatively better for tone and timbre. Please note here that all magnets play at a level. The differences are relative. Choose your magnet based on what floats your boat.

Thanks Rajagopal, Prem. I think it's long overdue on me. I have done tons of listening on small, fast, modern drivers. But yet to hear a top notch vintage system. I'll set sail soon. Thanks for the motivation.

Ranjeetrain, power handling of new drivers will be better than vintage drivers. This is of great importance in pro audio. May not be that relevant in home audio. Most of the new cone materials has been designed for better power handling.

Hi,

I presume you make this statement after having actually heard a Tannoy Red.

Regards
Rajiv

I have heard Tannoy Monitor Gold[if I correctly remember the model] at Vinay's + Ranjeet Singh's place during my recent visit to their houses. :)

Beyma's are highly transient[faster] than Altecs & Tannoys.

I hope now this helps,
Kanwar

Last edited:

Kanwar, since you have recently designed a system around the Altec 604, what differences, if any, do you hear between the Beyma and the Altec? If you do not wish to answer this, i can understand.

Ranjeet,

As Rajagopal has said and listen to Malvai's and Viren's Altecs, get the clear picture, write down your views and let all of us know about your findings.

Modern drivers surely excel but then you have to listen to them first in order to make up your conclusions good, bad or ugly.

I have listened Tannoys at both Vinay's and Ranjeet Singh's place and as per what i have heard, i can surely say the modern drivers [Played with Beyma/B&C/18Sound Coaxials as part of my profession]have an edge over them and this is my belief.

Cheers,
Kanwar

Last edited:

Kanwar, since you have recently designed a system around the Altec 604, what differences, if any, do you hear between the Beyma and the Altec? If you do not wish to answer this, i can understand.

I don't have to hide anything, I love Beymas more than Altecs, i know the drawbacks of the Altec and Tannoys already.

Apart from lack of HF dispersion in Tannoys[Not in Altecs] Couple of important points:

1. Transient response i.e. Attack & Decay response is something to hear for, excellent micro-detailing, Clear Mids, extremely dangerous in revealing bad recordings.
2. Natural HF extension, Beyma Titanium HF goes above 18khz easily
3. Higher Power handling increases better dynamic handling of music. You cannot bottom out the modern drivers with 200w amp, they need 800W amp to reach the limits.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Thanks Kanwar. That was helpful

Personally, I find that the modern beyma's can do everything better especially when driven hard. But the tone and timber is where the Altec 604 has the edge. In home listening scenarios we don't push them hard so they are kings!

Ranjeetain your visit is long overdue! Come for a listen!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back