Active System with BEYMA 15CXA400FE COAXIAL Drivers, Finally Arrived !!!

Re: BEYMA 15CXA400Fe COAXIAL Drivers Based Active Speakers

Originally Posted by captrajesh :
...... It would be natural for anyone to expect that he would make proper boxes and may be even post the build pics but that doesn't appear to be the case......

Sounds perfectly OK. Most would expect that. The temporary box was just to evaluate the unit. Certainly needs a proper box to test it out properly. Why would that be too much to expect.

Never mind. It's too small an issue to be concerned about. We need to hear more about other coaxial drivers and how they compare.;)
Cheers.

Re: Again the modern Pro-Audio drivers are winners

"I am currently using them in a temporary (well, what isn't?) set-up: I made a pair of quick-and-dirty 90 liter closed cabinets out of some MDF leftovers from the 'real' boxes which are not yet finished.

All in all this sounds so good that I have doubts about bothering with building the bass-reflex boxes I originally planned. At least I'm in no hurry. I would say that basically they sound great

Took out extra things that may cause confusion. He made a quick sealed box and liked so much, giving up the ported box design. Seems normal to me.

Re: BEYMA 15CXA400Fe COAXIAL Drivers Based Active Speakers

Just had an exchange of PMs with Chakija who is also using Beyma 15CXA400FE in MLTL configuration. I have also told him about the active system using Altecs which is with Manav. Hence got interested in actives also.

425430d1403705235-tannoy-alternatives-post-14-0-56973100-1389090186.jpg

Re: Active System with BEYMA 15CXA400FE COAXIAL Drivers

Hello to all kind people here!

I am so glad that there are people who are open minded regarding this beyma-s and other high quality pro coaxials. To me, they are real revelation.
I have listened and compared them to old and refoamed tannoys 15" and 12" and to me they sound...better. Less coloration, more dynamics, more headroom, and with more defined bass with better "kick".
MLTL construction seemed to me best option considering loudspeaker parameters. It was made with MJK-s mathcad calculator. I am very pleased with results, but still need to work on my rooms acoustics. I believe that room is 50% of sound :)
I drive my beymas with crown cts4200 pro amplifier, bi-amped with passive crossover.
Active crossover would probably yield more satisfying results...
I am also looking for suggestion for another amplifier-I would like to experiment a little, although I am generally satisfied with crown.

EDIT:
I forgot to say that these are only speakers so far that managed to excite me every time I listen to them :)

BR, Dragoslav

Regarding neodymium vs ferrite, there is one parameter which basically decided which one to get, and that is Rms. With Rms=1,38 I think that 15cxa400Fe is much more suitable for lower listening levels. Response graph and other parameters are more-less same. I guess that 15cxa400Nd has little more punch and has "faster" sound.
What is little frustrating with them is run-in time. I think that after 300h they show their full potential. Nevertheless, you enjoy every minute discovering that they just keep getting better ;)

Last edited:

Hello to all kind people here!

I am so glad that there are people who are open minded regarding this beyma-s and other high quality pro coaxials. To me, they are real revelation.
I have listened and compared them to old and refoamed tannoys 15" and 12" and to me they sound...better. Less coloration, more dynamics, more headroom, and with more defined bass with better "kick".
MLTL construction seemed to me best option considering loudspeaker parameters. It was made with MJK-s mathcad calculator. I am very pleased with results, but still need to work on my rooms acoustics. I believe that room is 50% of sound :)
I drive my beymas with crown cts4200 pro amplifier, bi-amped with passive crossover.
Active crossover would probably yield more satisfying results...
I am also looking for suggestion for another amplifier-I would like to experiment a little, although I am generally satisfied with crown.

EDIT:
I forgot to say that these are only speakers so far that managed to excite me every time I listen to them :)

BR, Dragoslav

Welcome Chakija a.k.a Dragoslav.

Yes we have several like minded people like you here also who are open to experimentation with modern drivers such as Beyma.

Nice to have you here, since you are those one of the few guys across the world who have done MLTL design using the Beyma and also have done experimentation on vintage driver. :clapping:

I am in process of making an active XO for MLTL, will share it with ya exclusively. We share same passion after all.

Thank you for Joining us

Regards,
Kanwar

Last edited:

Thank you very much for kind welcome!

I have been tinkering with these drivers for a more than 8 months.
First I listened them on open baffle, just to check sound quality in mid-high area. In the beginning they were somewhat "sharp" sounding, but after few hours of louder listening they improved greatly.
There was a problem with box design because the T/S parameters in preliminary datasheet were nowhere near the measured parameters. These were the only T/S parameters that I could get at the moment. In these preliminary parameters, there were some major mistakes like Fs=30 Hz, and Qtc=~0,55 which seemed to me ideal for compressed box of 140l. I bought, what I believe, one of the drivers from the first batch which left the factory in Spain.
I drove 2100km to get them-talking bout insane will to have them :)
When I did T/S measurement, I could not believe my eyes.
I wrote to beyma directly, and they provided me with new (now official) datasheet which was almost identical to my measured T/S parameters. I was furious because I had to work on another box design.
Please take manufacturers preliminary datasheets just as a guide. Don`t buy drivers, like I did, until you see official datasheet.(which is btw. very accurate, at least beymas are).
Anyhow, administrator from our local DiYaudio forum provided me with MJK plans for MLTL box for 15cxa400Fe, and I made 3D model in solidworks and cut list/assembly plan.
With MLTL I have more lower end, but I haven`t lost much in mid-high area compared to open baffle sound.

I like tannoy/altec sound, and they were the reason why I got beyma-s in the first place.
I was not able to acquire tannoys in reasonable price, and when I considered that almost every driver that I would acquire would certainly need some kind of maintenance, I decided to go with new drivers. After few months of research I decided to go with beyma.
I have recently listened some tannoys 12" and 15", and after living with beymas for 8+ months, old tanny-s do not sound that impressive like they did before :)

Last edited:

Thank you very much for kind welcome!

I have been tinkering with these drivers for a more than 8 months.
First I listened them on open baffle, just to check sound quality in mid-high area. In the beginning they were somewhat "sharp" sounding, but after few hours of louder listening they improved greatly.
There was a problem with box design because the T/S parameters in preliminary datasheet were nowhere near the measured parameters. These were the only T/S parameters that I could get at the moment. In these preliminary parameters, there were some major mistakes like Fs=30 Hz, and Qtc=~0,55 which seemed to me ideal for compressed box of 140l. I bought, what I believe, one of the drivers from the first batch which left the factory in Spain.
I drove 2100km to get them-talking bout insane will to have them :)
When I did T/S measurement, I could not believe my eyes.
I wrote to beyma directly, and they provided me with new (now official) datasheet which was almost identical to my measured T/S parameters. I was furious because I had to work on another box design.
Please take manufacturers preliminary datasheets just as a guide. Don`t buy drivers, like I did, until you see official datasheet.(which is btw. very accurate, at least beymas are).
Anyhow, administrator from our local DiYaudio forum provided me with MJK plans for MLTL box for 15cxa400Fe, and I made 3D model in solidworks and cut list/assembly plan.
With MLTL I have more lower end, but I haven`t lost much in mid-high area compared to open baffle sound.

I like tannoy/altec sound, and they were the reason why I got beyma-s in the first place.
I was not able to acquire tannoys in reasonable price, and when I considered that almost every driver that I would acquire would certainly need some kind of maintenance, I decided to go with new drivers. After few months of research I decided to go with beyma.
I have recently listened some tannoys 12" and 15", and after living with beymas for 8+ months, old tanny-s do not sound that impressive like they did before :)

Great Endeavour from Vintage to Modern Coaxial drivers. :)

Just got my delivery of the updated version of same drivers

Hi Chakija,

Got the drivers last night....!!!

The new version of same driver now has removable flare for tweaks :D

10672292_1481993402087588_710409419624049241_n.jpg

4 Inch Voice Coil along with OEM UKM [Kurt Mueller]cone

10372519_1481993438754251_7706433821355274498_n.jpg

Massive magnet.

10616610_1481993368754258_3570206849246795726_n.jpg

10516720_1481993328754262_4567256054290635152_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi kanwar,

Is there any authorised dealer for beyma in India? If so, can you please share the contact.

Thanks
Venu

Dear Kanwar, beymas are looking good :)
I remember my thrill first time I saw them...mmmmmh.
I tried to contact you with PM but somehow I can`t send you message here so I sent it on diyaudio forum...
Try to apply some damping material and some felt on back side of horn flare...it seems to me that this positively affects midrange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun with Pro-Audio driver

Dear Kanwar, beymas are looking good :)
I remember my thrill first time I saw them...mmmmmh.
I tried to contact you with PM but somehow I can`t send you message here so I sent it on diyaudio forum...
Try to apply some damping material and some felt on back side of horn flare...it seems to me that this positively affects midrange.

Hi Chakija,

Yes the excitement is very much :D

Thanxz for the tip, really appreciated, will do my bit of experiment on it as well, since the flare is removable and applying the amount of damping can be varied to get optimized results in absorbing reflections in vocal arena.

Any cabinet plans for these drivers online?

No idea about the plans for this driver if available online or not, as i create my own plans based on my little bit experience in this field.. :)

Last edited:
Is it some new type of wood board made out of teak wood? One can see joints on the board like you see the on the rubber boards....It does not look like teak plank isn't it?

Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back