Advice 20k Washing Machine

gurujee

Our 25years old videocon was finally running like bullock kart. I need to buy new one now. Already experienced LG fully automatic one but Heard IFB products are highly appreciated. But don't know why!

Pls suggest me a washing machine in budget 20k. What are the advantages of having front loading machines !

I am a very happy owner of IFB Fully-automatic Front loading washing machine for almost 13 years now. No Trouble at all. Once the motor went kaput but was my fault. I transported it from one home to another without the locking transit bolts and that adversely affected the motor. Got it replaced by the SC. Apart from that, no trouble at all...very nicely built, sturdy, no fuss machine. Needs permanent fixing for water inlet and is heavy. Can take 5.5 Kgs of dry clothes at one go.
Nice machine. Costed me around 19-20K at that time. I think price would not have been escalated much due to competition.

Washed clothes on Front loaders are easy to unload than top loaders & looks great.
Would be a wise decision as IFB specializes in such appliances.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
I am using LG top loading fully automatic from last 5 yeras and it works like a charm till now . .LG recently launched Direct Drive motor technology with 10 Year Warranty on motor you can check that one also.. No experience with IFB . . .so unable to comment . . .

I owns an IFB for the last 14 years without any problem. Being in rural area, the service is not up to mark.

I would recommend any front loading one, irrespective of the brand. It may slightly higher than your budget. LG has a direct drive model which is nearly noiseless and is of good quality.

Guru,
You should buy a front loading only, the wash quality is much better. Also the clothes don't get damaged in front loading type.

My case was similar. We have a videocon washing machine from 1985 and it was still working and I told my mom that we should retire it now. She agreed, though reluctantly. Got her a top tier ifb admiral 8 kg front loader (35 to 37k). The only difference that I find is that the top three models of ifb are made in Germany with 3 years warranty while the rest are made at their indian plant with one year warranty. I wanted to go for the digital direct drive one however the distributed told me that there were some complaints and it costs around 12 k to replace the drive. Wash quality is better in front loaders. The ifb senator is also a good machine.

My rented flat has a whirlpool top loader 8 kg (18k), another good mnc producing good washing machines and among the only few top loaders with heating facility is working fine since 3 years. Good after sales service.

German companies Bosch and Siemens have also released some good models however ASS will be available only in big cities. I also liked a few Panasonic top loaders recently while I was searching for a plasma tv.

Last edited:
So, we see that there are so many options for good washing machines now, but one thing that looks in consensus is that front loaders are the way to go. IMO, one cannot go wrong with IFB products, but the only doubt is after sales service. However, if you keeo machine well maintaned, you should not be too much concerned reg. the service. It is a relatively trouble free machine. Just take some care:

1. Add a rat mesh below (Dont know if now machines come with that pre-fitted as when we bought the machine, we had to pay for the rat mesh). I would recommed a rat mesh irrespective of presence of rats in your home because it can also block dust, insects & other foreign materials entering in the machine from beneath.
2. Always drain out water from the fluff-filter if the machine will not be used for say more than 10-15 days.
3. Too much froth in detergents is not good for front loaders. You can use normal detergents but make sure that you do not add it too much for froth build up
4. NEVER EVER move your front loader from one location to other without the 'Transit Bolts' tightened. It can do irrepairable damage to the motor. Only option is replacing the expensive motor.
5.Keep the machine well levelled & free from vobration by adjusting its feet.

If you take care of these, most machines will do well & serve you long without any problems.

Regards,
Saket

using ifb elena vx for 21k.......
1k more than 20k.
my suggestion wither go fro 7k semi auto or get a ifb.....
no middle choice.
you can go for more robust ifbs around 25k.

although my concern is durability but according to home ministry it wasges real good that too with very les watre and less washing podwer.

cheers

Have an IFB-made in India machine at home. It's noisy, vibrates a lot and no match for the Siemens at my mom's place. If IFB is your only choice go for the imported top end models with 3yr warranty as a previous poster suggested.

IMO, one cannot go wrong with IFB products, but the only doubt is after sales service.

Hi,
I would not go blind with IFB. I did that 5 years ago, and have paid more than Rs 4000 over the past couple of years to repair my IFB.

I do agree that the IFBs made a decade ago were built to last. Both my parents and in-laws owned one and their IFBs have been running perfectly for more than a decade. Thus IFB became the obvious choice when I decided to buy one around 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, IFBs standards have gone down over the past years. I have faced 2 problems recently, both of which cost me around Rs 2000 each to repair. I have heard of problems in recently purchased IFB (<5 years ago) from other friends and family too.

I would say that if you are buying IFB, you should take the extended warranty and also keep renewing your warranty whenever it expires. Do not count on the machine running perfectly.

Best,
APK.

one thing clear is that front loading machines are appreciated by u guys. But now i really confused for IFB since i got a mix reaction for IFBs from u. should I go for the ifb elena or any other brand's front loading like LG/Samsung?

LG/Samsung sure have better service support in my area.

Siemens has an excellent front loader machine. I am using it for 4 years. It boils the clothes before wash, thus giving great cleanliness after wash. It's also a put-it-forget-it machine.

I recommend Siemens.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back