Advice on HT, Media Player and LP

Deadlycoolguy

Hi all,

Been a lurker here for donkey's ears, though I have never posted.

Finally decided to take the plunge, and my options are:

Question 1:
Onkyo HT-S9300 [auditioned and liked] [around 75k]

Onkyo HT-S5400 [yet to audition as my dealer says his stock is on the way and should be ready for audition in a couple of days] [around 51k]

Leaning a bit toward 5400 as thats about 25k cheaper.

A little of music and a little of movies is what I am looking forward to.

Budget is around 80 grand all inclusive though slightly stretchable.

Question 2:
A media player that can play most formats, and can connect to my 500gig HDD is all that I need. I dont want Wifi. Something decent and not very expensive, as I would like to spend the saved money on an extra 1TB or 2TB.

Question 3:
And then I have another dilemna.

I have a collection of some Jazz and rock from the yesteryears on vinyl. Maybe about 50 plus records. I was toying with the idea of buying a decent affordable LP player and hooking it up to the receiver.

Now, I have never had or played LPs. I dont really know how much maintenance it involves. If it's really panful to maintain the LPs and the player, replacing stuff once in a while, I may look at selling all the LPs and utilizing the money for something that makes more sense to me.

What say people?

I would be grateful for any info passed on, and thanks in advance for anyone who has read my thread!

In 80k stretchable budget there are several better options. The money can be divided as under:-

HT : 40k
Media Player : 15k
TT : 25k

You can easily adjust the amount here and there.If you wish to sell LPs they would be up for grab in the forum itself. :licklips: My advise would be to keep it with you unless you feel it PAIN to maintain it.

If the TT is gonna cost 25k, I will probably leave it out. I had in mind 10k, a little stretchable, thats all.

I am still in 2 minds, whether I should give up the LPs or not.

Any suggestions on a Media player would be great.

If I was to blow up 70k on an AVR and a good pair of FS, what would you recommend? Maybe save the surround and center and SW for later.

Frankly I was blown away by an Integrated amp driving the KEF Q series FS! Was truly awesome, but it's clearly out of my budget.

Last edited:
Hi
I suggest leave the TT out, go for a good AVR & spkrs, I'm using a Asus HDP-R1 media player, plays almost all files and costs around Rs.4700/- with a 2TB HDD

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back