Advise Needed - Use surround as Centre

daljeet_sando

I am having polk 220b as front speakers with PS110 sub. Need to add centre channel. However there is constraint w.r.t. placement of centre channel over the TV cabinet.

Que: Can I add Polk OWM5 (pair) on sides of TV (or up/down combination) to act as centre channel. If yes, should it be in series or parallel. My amp can can do upto 145w/channel.

I am having polk 220b as front speakers with PS110 sub. Need to add centre channel. However there is constraint w.r.t. placement of centre channel over the TV cabinet.

Que: Can I add Polk OWM5 (pair) on sides of TV (or up/down combination) to act as centre channel. If yes, should it be in series or parallel. My amp can can do upto 145w/channel.

Do you already have this pair and want to make use of them? If not, then no, avoid using them as your center channel. First these speakers are dedicated rear surrounds and will not server you well as center. Second adding two speakers to the center channel will give current/impedance (series/parallel) issues along with Phase issues. It will not be worth the effort IMHO.

MaSh

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to purchase it.

I would be still curious to know which centre channel (wall mount) will match with polk 220b's.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to purchase it.

I would be still curious to know which centre channel (wall mount) will match with polk 220b's.

With TSX series center channel shoudl be TSX150c/250c but these are not wall mountable. You can look at signature series S35 at 27k MRP. I have that and is excellent.

If budget is limited you can put just one OWM5 horizontally which will also do the job as these are multipurpose speakers and can be used in all channels.

Signature series S35 would be out of my budget unless i can get some pre-used one. I would be fine with 250c but mere size is deterrent.

Worst cum worst I may go with one OWM5..

There is a school of thought that the centre should be the same as the fronts. You could experiment with another 220B.
What surrounds do you have? If 220B or 110B, test with that.
Google "bookshelf speaker for center channel".
The issue might be getting a single bookshelf speaker since they are sold in pairs.

I have not added surrounds as my living room is L shaped with no fixed listening position. Once I add centre I will experiment with bipolar surrounds. I have a fixed cabinet with no place for placing bookshelf in centre - hence 220b or 110b will be not workable.

S35 is pretty new in market, don't think you will get used one. Look at Dali pico vokal at 11K. It is wall mountable. One of the FMs here is quite satisfied

I have not added surrounds as my living room is L shaped with no fixed listening position. Once I add centre I will experiment with bipolar surrounds.

Whichever side doesn't have wall to mount the surrounds, you can consider these wall mounts..

$_57.JPG

MX 2pc Speaker Stand & Cctv Camera Stand Max Load 10 Kg Mounting Bracket -MX3306 | eBay

Also, they are affordable..

I have a fixed cabinet with no place for placing bookshelf in centre - hence 220b or 110b will be not workable.

What is your AVR ? you can take a pair of bookshelf, use one for center & an other one for surround back..

I use owm 3 in my setup and they are excellent for surround duties only, they will not be good at any other role.

It should be able to do center channel also and fronts too with a crossover of 100/120 Hz.. Any specific reason you say they can't be good at other role ?

It should be able to do center channel also and fronts too with a crossover of 100/120 Hz.. Any specific reason you say they can't be good at other role ?

Its just the kind of signature and frequency spread I observe in my room that makes me feel that they are perfect for rear surrounds crossed 110hz while I like my center to give a fuller sound crossed at 80 or 90Hz, at which frequency the owm3 begin to sound thin. Yes I tried one of the OWM3 as a center.

MaSh

Its just the kind of signature and frequency spread I observe in my room that makes me feel that they are perfect for rear surrounds crossed 110hz while I like my center to give a fuller sound crossed at 80 or 90Hz, at which frequency the owm3 begin to sound thin. Yes I tried one of the OWM3 as a center. MaSh

Got it.. 110Hz Crossover - was it manual (or) detected by auto calibration?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back