Affordable Monitor Speakers?

bsmcoolguy

Now the time has come to replace my 5 year old 5.1 Ch sound system to something better.

I was thinking of getting a pair of Monitor speakers as I am into Music Production also so it would help.

So I was wondering if you guys could suggest me some affordable Monitor Speakers.

Thanks

Now the time has come to replace my 5 year old 5.1 Ch sound system to something better.

I was thinking of getting a pair of Monitor speakers as I am into Music Production also so it would help.

So I was wondering if you guys could suggest me some affordable Monitor Speakers.

Thanks

M-Audio have some nice monitors.. you can try them.. but not sure about the prices..

Give a try for Yamaha MP Series powered monitors. I heard MP5 & I liked it. Cost was 14k per piece(28k/pair). MP 7 has larger cone and came down to 50hz as compared to 55 hz of MP 5. I dont remember the cost but was much higher. They both claim to have pretty flat response curve right upto lowest frequency & have a knob for gain control in front and equalization at back.

Yamaha pro audio is much more respected arm of yamaha corporation as compared to yamaha home audio.

Retail store prices for M-audio: (not sure about who keeps M-audio in Delhi though)

M-audio AV30 around 7500 Rs
M-audio AV40 around 9500 Rs (10k upwards if you buy online + shipping)

But if you are not on a budget then definitely KRKs are better at Rs 34200 on bajaao . You can get a 10% by coupon too that will more than compensate your shipping charges of around 700.

Lots of options but the OP has not mentioned the budget, other components in the system and music genres of choice. Also what is lacking in current setup that is planned on being addressed. So everything that has been put down might be a hit or miss.

@Marsilians - My budget is 6-7K and I am willing to check out the models Arin has suggested. The current setup lacks 4 speakers out of my 5.1 Channel system.Haha.
Music genres are varied because as a Producer and a DJ I have to listen to all of stuff which comes my way. So nothing specific , although I don't like tight bass I like it deep and boomy.

July 16, 2011
Hi--I am a novice relative to you experts. I have not heard the names of the brands that
I see on this site. I am trying to construct a "home theatre" (mid level). I have auditioned some speakers (JBL "Control Now" & "Control One" connected with Harmon Kardon AVR (65 watts per channel). For a 5.1 configuration these are for Rs 50K & Rs.60K respectively (including active woofers). I have also heard the Jamos & Canton 65's (Rs.34K) & 125's (Rs35K) & several others that I am not impressed with. So far I quite like the JBL "Now". However I would like to audition some more 5.1 combinations before I decide.Can someone tell me the the suppliers in Mumbai where I would be able to hear a variety of 5.1 speakers, If you can reccomend the speakers that I should consider (& their Mumbai suppliers), I would be grateful.
I also need a compatable 3D ready AVR (or Amp). I have heard Harmon Kardon, Marantz & Denon. I am OK with Harmon Kardon (65 watts per channel) @ Rs 65K. These were connected to the same speakers during the audition. Here again I would like to check out some more AVR's. Can some one help identifying good/reliable/reasonable suppliers in Mumbai. Also please suggest some good brands/models (price range about Rs.50K), I am relatively a novice.
Lastly I need a 3D-Blu Ray-All Region Player. I have been offered (by my suppliers) a Panasonic BD 75 (Rs.7.5K) & Dune (Rs.34K). However the box does not confirm that either is "all regions".(the supplier also does not guarantee that it will play DVD's, Discs etc from all regions). Can any one help me with a suitable selection & source & price.
Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
FOR YOUR INFO. THE HT IS TO BE INSTALLED IN MY DEN. THE DIMENSIONS ARE 11X11 FEET. MY BUDGET IS RS 1 LAC+ (EXCLUDING THE 3D 46" TV WHICH I HAVE ALREADY PURCHASED (Rs 65K). IS THERE ANY AVR WHICH IS SOUNDS CLOSE TO AM AMP FOR STERIO MUSIC? I AM WILLING TO EXTEND MY BUDGET FOR THIS.(so that I have the option of seeing movies & also music. I would prefer this--if possible)
Mehru
Note: I have posted a similar message on another string too & hope to get your valuable inputs.

@Marsilians - My budget is 6-7K and I am willing to check out the models Arin has suggested. The current setup lacks 4 speakers out of my 5.1 Channel system.Haha.
Music genres are varied because as a Producer and a DJ I have to listen to all of stuff which comes my way. So nothing specific , although I don't like tight bass I like it deep and boomy.

My honest suggestion would be to wait for some more time and build up a budget of around 15-20k to get the monitors.

I've been into music production for the last 8 years - and have yet to come across any speakers in the 6-7k budget that are neutral enough to mix reliably.

The M-Audio monitors are crap IMHO. You can go for the Edirol MA-15D - I think they are around the 7k range....but they have a noticeable low-mid hump (around 150-200Hz) and are quite forgiving. Another good option is the AudioEngine 2 @ around 10k.

Also - if you really want to mix bass-heavy stuff, you would be better off with some really good AKG/Sennheiser headphones rather than bookshelf speakers. Mixing bass frequencies is near impossible on the 3-4 inch drivers in the bookshelves.

Bought M-Audio AV40s for my PC: it was all I could afford. Fell in love with KRKs in the same shop: asked what was playing when I walked in, because I loved the sound, turned out it was KRK.

Since then, in my dreams only, I got interested in Adam (never seen, just read about) and later became fascinated by Genelec, but even the tiniest are still beyond my pocket. If I was doing music production, though, that would change the spending priorities quite a lot... Less food more speakers :lol:

Bought M-Audio AV40s for my PC: it was all I could afford. Fell in love with KRKs in the same shop: asked what was playing when I walked in, because I loved the sound, turned out it was KRK.

so how do these speakers compare??

popular multimedia speakers like creative or logitec,
M audio av 40
KRK
??

Monitor speakers like M-Audio , KRK , Genelec , AudioEngine are in a different league when compared to the Multimedia Speakers.

Google the terms.

I should say that there are at least two leagues in that list!

I have M-Audio AV40, no idea about the higher priced M-Audio. I've heard KRK and Genelec just once each: definately a different league --- and a different league in pricing too.

I guess, without hearing, that the Audioengines come closer to my AV40s in league?

Actually, although I dream KRK and Genelec, just this evening I was really enjoying my AV40s. Definitely a different league to something cheaper from the computer shop :)

priced on a cheaper side :

Roland MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitors - Best Buy - Studio/Recording - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India

roland MA-15D has received some positive feedback from Mr. Hemant Waghe and a few other forum members here. don't personally know whether its VFM at that price (considering hefty ones like KRK are being discussed here). but talking to Mr. Waghe over phone, he really had some very nice words to say about them at length :)

The MA-15D sure are some little magicians at that price point. They don't promise wonders and don't try to overachieve them either. What they do is be very honest about the sound fed to them and deliver as much detail as the small size can afford them. Particularly for near-field listening on a budget they really are super VFM. Add to that the Optical inputs and you have a very complete package.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back