Airport custom duty on importing speaker

ISO

Hello friends.

Can someone enlighten me about exact rule of custom duty for importing speaker box at Mumbai airport?

Web search say it is 10 %. I did some inquirers to door to door courier services they say it is 35 %.

Aslo pl. share your experience for the same.

Last edited:
29.7% is the exact amount of duty in total...Basic is 10% + CVD and SAD which makes it almost 29.7%... You also have to account for the DO and clearance charges levied by the courier company which makes it 30%

If you are hand carrying then there may not be any problem. I got my pair of bookshelf speakers(14 kg both) in two suitcases without any duty by hand carrying through Delhi customs.Speakers were about $190 pair from US.

Dear Sir, you are allowed to get goods upto Rs. 50,000 without paying any duty if you are hand carrying it... I am assuming that the OP is importing a pair of speakers from abroad and not carrying it with him...

Thank you friends for your quick response. This forum rocks.

Actually preferably I want to hand carry them from Bahrain to Mumbai.

But due to sheer big size of the packing box goes 109 mm height may not be acceptable in the Gulf Air. In that case I will have to do Cargo.

They ship from Bahrain to Mumbai airport. You have to take delivery yourself by paying custom charges.

I also enquired couple of door to door courier services but they are not interested in the deal of home delivery. They are ready to deliver up to Mumbai airport. I understand their POI considering weight and size of the speaker boxes.

When you import a speaker the net total duty is about 30% CIF value, I have been importing speakers for almost a decade, this is about the average.

Thanks for sharing exact rule. I have been searching net but couldn't find authentic information.

I believe CIF means Custom Identified Value. I don't have invoice as I have purchased speaker second hand. In that case they will charge value as per current Indian market price?

CIF = Cost Insurance Freight, if insurance is not listed they may add 2% to the value.

Used speakers can create issues, I have never imported them. I only inquired many years ago and basically their assessment is a difficult proposition, often customs looks for precedent (ie previous imports of such speakers/brands) and may even look up the internet, if your speakers are listed on ebay or other places for a high price if they are vintage or rare speakers demanding a high premium then they may insist on that.

Again I have never imported used speakers but I would exercise caution and speak to your local customs office.

The free allowance is upto Rs. 45,000/-. The airport duty is 35% plus 3% cess, which comes to about 36.05%.

i hope this helps.

Is it same for importing drivers from Singapore etc?

IIRC the new vs used issue was for A/V equipment so it would apply. If you import a new driver it would be about the same 30% on CIF. I have imported raw drivers.

Do you have an IEC? If not, how do you get around the limitation of INR 1L for CIF value of imported items?

Thanks!

Sent PM.

Should point this out, sometimes customs can insist on grouping A/V equipment into different categories if they find certain words in the listed description, convincing them otherwise is a difficult task. If they do so then you may have to pay higher than 30%.

IIRC the new vs used issue was for A/V equipment so it would apply. If you import a new driver it would be about the same 30% on CIF. I have imported raw drivers.

Sent PM.

Should point this out, sometimes customs can insist on grouping A/V equipment into different categories if they find certain words in the listed description, convincing them otherwise is a difficult task. If they do so then you may have to pay higher than 30%.

OMG there is limitation of 1L? Is it apply to speaker also?

OMG there is limitation of 1L? Is it apply to speaker also?

1L limit is when you don't have an IEC and all courier agencies (including DHL) will not help clear customs without IEC if the CIF value is greater than 1L.

Beyond this there is always a risk of mishandling at various stages of shipment and arbitrary valuation at customs if they cannot easily look up the price [emoji853]

Not to discourage you but If you are willing then applying for IEC is not a Herculean task either [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beyond this there is always a risk of mishandling at various stages of shipment and arbitrary valuation at customs if they cannot easily look up the price [emoji853]

The arbitrary valuation is a rule rather than exception. The customs officer will google the product, find the highest retail price indicated on google and use that as the price for customs calculation. He will also give you a color printout of that page so you know he is telling the truth:lol:. Been there, done that. So it does not matter if you buy a demo (of-course you are not allowed to import used items, but that is another story) or you get 25-30% off from the foreign dealer etc.

Cheers,
Sid

The arbitrary valuation is a rule rather than exception. The customs officer will google the product, find the highest retail price indicated on google and use that as the price for customs calculation. He will also give you a color printout of that page so you know he is telling the truth:lol:. Been there, done that. So it does not matter if you buy a demo (of-course you are not allowed to import used items, but that is another story) or you get 25-30% off from the foreign dealer etc.

Cheers,

Sid

True Sid; to avoid such 'risks' it's quite useful to go with some dealer and negotiate well (of course they do charge good premium for the risk/service they provide) so you can be rest assured and also get warranty!

Even I tried very hard, got an IEC for myself but looking at the risks involved didn't venture importing higher value items myself!

But I don't want to rule out others in our forum who might have been bold enough to take the risks and been successful too!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back