Airport custom duty on importing speaker

The arbitrary valuation is a rule rather than exception. The customs officer will google the product, find the highest retail price indicated on google and use that as the price for customs calculation. He will also give you a color printout of that page so you know he is telling the truth:lol:. Been there, done that. So it does not matter if you buy a demo (of-course you are not allowed to import used items, but that is another story) or you get 25-30% off from the foreign dealer etc.

Cheers,
Sid

I once managed to convince a Customs Officer that I paid the refurb price on a projector that was a fraction of the full price that he insisted it cost. I guess it depends on your bargaining skills ;-).

I recently wrote clearance sale $99 only all over the box with permanent marker in seemingly legit looking way, for a heavy Heco centre speaker that costed 500$.

Customs officer passed it as not amenable to customs because its less priced. But still asked me why did you buy such a cheap speakers from abroad - my answer, it was a part of 5.1 whose centre speaker is damaged, I'm buying only this to replace the damaged one at home.
Nothing charged.
Depends upon bargaining skills mostly and usually they're concerned and knowledgeable only about TVs, iPhone and Gold but Not hifi stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Guys convincing customs officers is when you personally bring stuff with you as cabin baggage or carry on. I have done that many times and have never paid even 1 rupee duty, even for equipment like conrad johnson, Audio Research preamps etc. that cost thousands of $ by convincing the customs people that it was only for personal use and not for resale, which it was. I am referring to when you import stuff like heavy speakers/amplifiers that will not be accepted by airlines and have to be shipped by a shipping company as unaccompanied baggage so you have to go to the airport to claim them or equipment that is bought direct from dealers who will ship overseas that arrive at your local airport/sea port for clearance. This is an entire different circumstance and dealing with customs is a major pain. If you use a C&F agent the process is relatively less painful but will still cost you.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks for sharing exact rule. I have been searching net but couldn't find authentic information.

I believe CIF means Custom Identified Value. I don't have invoice as I have purchased speaker second hand. In that case they will charge value as per current Indian market price?

CIF stands for Cost, Insurance and Freight and represents the landed cost of the goods at the port of arrival where import duty is to be levied.

Thank you friends for your quick response. This forum rocks.

Actually preferably I want to hand carry them from Bahrain to Mumbai.

But due to sheer big size of the packing box goes 109 mm height may not be acceptable in the Gulf Air. In that case I will have to do Cargo.

They ship from Bahrain to Mumbai airport. You have to take delivery yourself by paying custom charges.

I also enquired couple of door to door courier services but they are not interested in the deal of home delivery. They are ready to deliver up to Mumbai airport. I understand their POI considering weight and size of the speaker boxes.

It may be worth your while to check beforehand with the airlines if they will allow you to carry the speakers as checked baggage by paying an oversize baggage fee. If reasonable, you can carry them with you as you will then be able to avail of the duty exemption allowance of Rs 50000. If you send the speakers as cargo, even by the same airline, you will be liable to pay the full 35% duty when you take delivery at the airport.

Sending your other stuff, like clothes and foodstuff etc by courier, or cargo, will be a better proposition as there is hardly any duty charged towards that.

Hope this helps!

I am also planning to bring a BIC AMERICA F-12 from US. As my sister stays there and coming for a visit by May. She can purchase one at a cost of 200 Dollars or so. If she add that in her normal baggages, what situation she might face at the Airport ?

It may be worth your while to check beforehand with the airlines if they will allow you to carry the speakers as checked baggage by paying an oversize baggage fee. If reasonable, you can carry them with you as you will then be able to avail of the duty exemption allowance of Rs 50000. If you send the speakers as cargo, even by the same airline, you will be liable to pay the full 35% duty when you take delivery at the airport.

Sending your other stuff, like clothes and foodstuff etc by courier, or cargo, will be a better proposition as there is hardly any duty charged towards that.

Hope this helps!

This is very sound advice. Thanks.

OMG there is limitation of 1L? Is it apply to speaker also?

It applies to everything IIRC. You need an IEC code.

Just to be clear, I do not hand carry items with me, everything has been imported through couriers/freight companies like Fedex,DHL,DB Schenker and Damco.

As mentioned importing is a hassle, it is a good idea to have help.

I have never paid 35-36% (net duty) on any Audio product. YMMV.

As noted customs can indeed sometimes insist on higher pricing than the actual based on the internet or try to place it in different categories. Try to label/describe the product clearly, emphasize the bill on which payment was sent and if necessary contact the seller for support.

Of note is that customs is willing to lump a 50$ bare plastic horn into the same category as a much higher priced finished horn speaker, because they are both called horns. I have experienced something similar recently, it took some convincing and work to make them understand.

Plan for "unplanned" expenses, they may occur sometimes.

By the way, which speakers are you planning to import?

RP 260F

Friends Gulf air has normal size of check in baggage:

95cm(38ins) x 75cm(30ins) x 45cm(18ins)

All dimensions fit in the above criterial except height which is 109 cm. That is my main worry.

Gulfair also has special checked in baggage size:

190 cm (79in) x 75 cm (29.5in) x 65 cm (25.5in)

Well in this category my speaker box fits comfortably. But there are few categories like

1. Zamzam Water
  2. Bicycles
  3. Golf Clubs
  4. Ski Equipment
  5. Surfboards and Windsurf boards and sails; kayaks and hand gliders
  6. SCUBA Diving Equipment
  7. Paragliding and Parachuting
  8. Kite-surfing
  9. Ten pin bowling
  10. Hockey/Lacrosse
  11. Tennis
  12. Archery
  13. Fishing
  14. Musical Instruments

Speaker Box fits in none of the above category is my main worry.

I recall my pass experience. I took sony TV by Gulfair.

Box length was 109 cm.
Allowed is 95 cm but they accepted my TV in Checked in Baggage. I hope they give same treatment to my speaker boxes.

From UK to India Second hand speakers what is the duty levy by custom

I would not buy used speakers to be shipped to India unless ofcourse you are carrying it with you on the flight. Flat 30% customs duty. Have all the invoices ready with price clearly shown. If anywhere in the documentation it says used, they may disallow the package or they look up the price of such speakers that are brand new and charge you 30% on it.

Hi all,

I intend to hand carry a tube amp from Singapore weighing around 30kgs, is there a possibility to get it safely through customs. Please advise

My sincere advise is to compare the price of the used gears online(domestic) and then approach the local dealer for discounts, clearance, price drop and stuffs like that and then take a call coz most of the used gears where u find abroad are sold in our country(new) at heavy discounts as they were about to discontinued or already.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back