Airport custom duty on importing speaker

YOU DO NOT NEED AN IEC for personal imports.
As an individual you are allowed to import things pay the taxes and carry on. I don't know how you are importing where you have to deal with with custom agents & post office etc. I have used fedex & dhl & item lands at your door step. Duty was collected at time of delivery at my doorstep.
When the item is at customs clearance or about to reach Indian shores you get a call from fedex/dhl asking you what you have imported, whether its for personal or commercial use. Never have I been asked for an IEC code.
I imported some eartips from alibaba when that was still allowed, I guess. That time I used china post & item was delivered to my address via India post with no duty etc. It was a very low value item to begin with so maybe that is why no duty was levied.

Since GST was introduced most items have 18% GST even if they have 0% import duty. GST can be higher than 18% for some categories.
For speakers, headphones and amp taxes will fall somewhere between 29%-35% of CIF value.

I haven't read anywhere on official sites where it says you cannot import used item. I know you cannot import used cars etc but haven't read any such things for electronics. Most of the restrictions you read about are for commercial imports not personal.

Look in chapter 85. That covers our area of interest. All items with their HS codes & how much duty is levied on them is mentioned. USE ctrl+f to search
Note: GST needs to be paid in addition to the custom duty which is mostly 18% but can be higher for some items.

Tariff Item 8518 22, under 8518 in chapter 85 states about the standard rate of Duty for Loudspeakers which is 20%

So, GST to be paid extra ?

Tariff Item 8518 22, under 8518 in chapter 85 states about the standard rate of Duty for Loudspeakers which is 20%

So, GST to be paid extra ?
Yes.
20% of CIF in form of duty + 18% GST on CIF. There is also a social welfare charge which sometimes get levied & that is 10% on aggregate of duty + gst

Declared value 10000
Shipping 2000
CIF = 12000

Duty 20% of 12000 = 2400

Now here is the tricky part some times GST gets calculated on CIF sometimes it CIF + duty. Depends on the day & mood of customs.
So GST can either be 18% of 12000 or 14400
GST can be either be 2160 or 2592 depends on which calculation ends up being used.

SWS social welfare surcharge 10%: I don't think this has been levied on any of my imports. I think its solely for commercial imports.
This used be education CESS of 0.2-0.3% now its 10% God knows why. One can say its part of Acche Din.
So SWS will be 10% of (2400+2160) = 456 Rs.
Ideally this should not be levied on personal imports but you never know.

So final cost to you will be 12000+2400+2160+456=17016.

Sometimes even with all the charges you end up paying less than Indian price.

Declared value 10000
So final cost to you will be 12000+2400+2160+456=17016.
So, the gross cost is about 170% of the Invoice value + any charges from the shipping and clearing agents?

Is this for fully assembled loudspeakers like Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber etc or just the drivers like Scan-Speak, SEAS, etc.?

Have you imported complete speakers or just the drivers?

Hi Navin, I have imported both speakers and raw drivers. You may find this thread useful -

In particular this post I made -

Hope this helps.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back