Airtel DTH: Airtel Going to Upscale All Channels to HD....Reliance already announced

roseboy24

Recently Airtel has announced that it has enabled all its high definition (HD) Set Top Boxes to show standard definition channels with an extraordinary quality of 1080i. So now Airtel DTH (Airtel Digital TV) customers will be able to enjoy all their favorite channels in standard HD format. It means a superb sound and picture quality
Airtel will not charge anything to its customers for this upgrade. As we know that recently Reliance Big TV more than 250 channels in standard HD Format. Other HD Broadcasters such as Tata Sky HD do not offer standard HD quality on more than 10 HD channels. So we can say that this is Airtels reply to Reliance Big TV.

In words of Mr. Sugato Banerji, CMO-Airtel digital TV, We believe that these initiatives will help build category awareness in the HD market that has an increasing number of customers trying out various options that can help enhance their Standard Definition viewing experience. The journey towards True High Definition has but just begun for the Indian DTH customer and will get further impetus with the entire production, storage and distribution chain moving to HD over the next few years.

Right now Airtel offers its HD set top boxes for Rs 3190 and Rs 3990 for the HD recorder. So we can say that it is a best option for DTH. So if youre going for DTH, go to Airtel Digital TV

Lets see when my TATA HD Plus announce :(:clapping:

Re: Airtel DTH: Airtel Going to Upscale All Channels to HD....Reliance already announ

I wish TATA HD going to be add SD to HD for SD channels soon ......

Re: Airtel DTH: Airtel Going to Upscale All Channels to HD....Reliance already announ

The Tata Sky HD box already upscales SD channels to 1080i, although there has been no "announcement" because Tata Sky is sensible enough to know that this is not something to brag about.

I wish TATA HD going to be add SD to HD for SD channels soon ......
Dude, all HD STBs upscale to 1080i. Open your eyes, Airtel and Reliance just wanted you to wake up with a bang through such Ads. Nothing will change otherwise despite all the hype.

These Ads are only to counter those so called 30+ upscaled channels from Dish TV when their STB also does upscaling to 1080i BY DEFAULT (and I find their upscaling thru STB better than what TS does on TS+HD but that is another topic).

As if 30+ HD channels wasn't enough, Reliance is now advertising 250 HD channels. Fortunately they are being ethical enough to say "HDjaisi quality" in audio words where as "250 HD Channels" appears on screen.

BTW, most of the Full HD TVs have built in scaller which can scale to 1080P with descent quality, provided we use the HDMI as the video connection.
These DTH business houses are fooling the ever demanding customers.

For Andaj Apna Apna fans -

tum samaj nai rahe, mei upscaled HD nahi HD jaisa hu, HD jaisa HD jaisa nai upscaled HD hai matlab jo upscaled HD hai vo HD jaisa hai or jo HD jaisa hai vo upscaled HD hai...

So Airtel will waste bandwidth by upscaling SD channels to HD resolution which any HD TV would done anyway, wow :)

So Airtel will waste bandwidth by upscaling SD channels to HD resolution which any HD TV would done anyway, wow :)

Quality order is as follows (from better to worse)
Upscaling at operator level > upscaling in STB box > upscaling in TV.

However DishTV's upscaled channels show that the difference between them isn't all that much. So I agree with you that Airtel will waste a lot of expensive bandwidth.

BTW, most of the Full HD TVs have built in scaller which can scale to 1080P with descent quality, provided we use the HDMI as the video connection.
These DTH business houses are fooling the ever demanding customers.
All decent HDTVs scale to their native resolution for ALL sources.

Quality order is as follows (from better to worse)
Upscaling at operator level > upscaling in STB box > upscaling in TV.

However DishTV's upscaled channels show that the difference between them isn't all that much. So I agree with you that Airtel will waste a lot of expensive bandwidth.
Upscaling at operator level helps only as they use better compression (more bandwidth) for audio and video. If they do the same thing at original SD resolution and let the STB do upscaling, we will definitely get better quality than what Dish upscaled channels offer.

Airtel or Reliance will NOT waste bandwidth as they are not doing any upscaling at the operator level. They might increase the bitrate of their SD channels and let the upscaling with be done by the STB as it has always been done (they might have got better drivers for the scaling engine on these STBs and seems to be creating waves advertising something which all HD STBs do already).

The Tata Sky HD box already upscales SD channels to 1080i, although there has been no "announcement" because Tata Sky is sensible enough to know that this is not something to brag about.

I don't agree. i have Tatak Sky HD

^ ^ ^ ^
What is the display resolution shown on your TV while watching "any" channel on Tata Sky HD?

I have Tata Sky HD+ and it shows as 1080i even for the SD channels. So, I made the conclusion that the STB is giving 1080i output. Now whether its the STB doing the upscaling, or that the STB is itself receiving a 1080i signal from the satellite, I do not know.

All I know is that the output from the Tata Sky HD+ box for all channels is 1080i (of course, assuming that 1080i is the output resolution you have set it to).

Tata sky HD stb upscales in the box. SD channels are broadcast by a satellite as SD channels. This is better than upscaling in a TV.

^ ^ ^ ^
What is the display resolution shown on your TV while watching "any" channel on Tata Sky HD?

I have Tata Sky HD+ and it shows as 1080i even for the SD channels. So, I made the conclusion that the STB is giving 1080i output. Now whether its the STB doing the upscaling, or that the STB is itself receiving a 1080i signal from the satellite, I do not know.

All I know is that the output from the Tata Sky HD+ box for all channels is 1080i (of course, assuming that 1080i is the output resolution you have set it to).
He is just another ignorant user :)

All HD STBs upscale. However the upscaled quality is terrible in TS+HD as it significantly BLURS the upscaled image taking away all the sharpness in the picture. Its just opposite in Dish HD where deblocking do not happen at all and at one glance the picture will look heavily pixellated, however if you compare between AVI (on the TV with TV doing upscaling) with HDMI - HDMI output on Dish HD is SIGNIFICANTLY better with reduced pixel size and hence blockiness while also significantly enhancing the definition of SD channels.

On the other hand TS+HD upscaled picture looks significantly blurred though much cleaner due to aggressive deblocking done on the SD and HD channels. It significantly loose details and resolution due to this deblocking algorithm as compared to AVI output from TS+HD. So its a big contrast with what that cheap Zenega box does on Dish HD and what this Pace UK box does in TS+HD.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back