TRAI Guidelines for Digital Cable TV & DTH effective 1st Feb 2019

Indigital has blocked the HD channels say it will start after 4 days, however SD channels working

Update from Hathway Bangalore.
Most of the channels have now been blocked today morning. Some random channels including some pay channels are active. No HD channels are active. I am not sure on what basis were the channels selected to stay active. My subscription according to the older scheme was valued till February 28th
Yep. The local guys are fooling public. They have created a pack of 100 free channels.
On top of this they are saying choose your pay channels.
I was at my parents place and my parents want to believe the cable guy and not me :(

Picture abhi baaki hai.
Cheers,
Raghu

All airtel channels got cut off on my parents box. Funny thing is selecting a handful of channels, much lesser than what there were earlier, the rental is higher now than before. So I am confused what was the purpose of all this?

MaSh

All airtel channels got cut off on my parents box. Funny thing is selecting a handful of channels, much lesser than what there were earlier, the rental is higher now than before. So I am confused what was the purpose of all this?

MaSh
To make people stop watching TV and enjoy other things in life
We as a country need to get away from freebie culture (my opinion)
Cheers,
Raghu

To make people stop watching TV and enjoy other things in life
We as a country need to get away from freebie culture (my opinion)
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes but thats not happening. TV is here to stay, it only depends on what we feed to it. I am really in two minds not to recharge mine and rely solely on Amazon Prime, Hotstar, etc for a month or two to see how it goes. The money for the Airtel rental can be utilized in upgrading the internet bandwidth. Took us a month, but daughter is finally off her cartoon channel, so that had made implementing this plan much easier.

Another option is to take up Jio's offer. They are offering Free 1TB broadband for about 2-3 months. Disclaimer includes a 4500/- refundable deposit. But then cannot just cancel my current connect and having two broadband connection is not making sense to me right now. Got a couple of days to sleep over it till I am back in Bangalore.

MaSh

Update from Hathway Bangalore.
Most of the channels have now been blocked today morning. Some random channels including some pay channels are active. No HD channels are active. I am not sure on what basis were the channels selected to stay active. My subscription according to the older scheme was valued till February 28th

Update from Mumbai

Hathway has done the same thing...all my HD channels are gone....I have paid till 28th Feb ...given there is a deadline extension to choose the braodcaster packs or A La Carte....still the plug has been pulled....only amix of 27 channels are working which are some free and some pay ones...all hindi except 2 channels in english which si WION and BBC news......these are all SD.......

Luckily my mons place the Hindi GEC SD channels are working (Colors / Sony / Star Plus / Zee TV) and some english movie channels....

I have logged formal complaints with Customer care so there is a record...please do the same.....

The area manager and others have put their phones on flight mode or switched off.....however I am pinging them via whatsapp and countless mails....

It seems others in the area using Hathway also face the same plight....TRAI very clearly on monday stated that there should NOT be any disruption of service or hardship to customers......if cusomers dont choose or select their channels before 31st March 2019...then Cable Operators / DTH operators can recommend and push BEST FIT plans which should not exceed the current monthly cost being paid by subscribers....this BEST FIT plan is also based on what kind of channels the customer watches....cable operators and DTH will need to figure and get this done quickly.....they have still not updated their websites with proper information ...still missing broadcaster value packs which are pocket friendly and being advertised daily.......

As for me the following packs are missing in the list and hence my choice of channels or broadcaster packs cant be done till hathway gets the same updated on their online form....I have highlighted this since early Jan 2019 and as usual still working on it!

• Disney Universal Bouquet Rs 10.00 (7 channels)
  • Sony Happy Sports Bouquet Rs 39.00 ( 4 channels)
  • Sony Happy English Bouquet Rs 12:00 ( 3 channels)
  • Sony Happy English and Sports Rs 47:00 ( 7 channels)
  • Star Hindi Premium Pack Rs 79 (19 channels)
  • TV 18 North East Value Bouquet Rs 19.00 ( 11 channels)
  • Zee Prime Pack English Rs 25.00 (4 channels)
Once these packs are updated along with the other packs, I can select and have my renewed subscription effective 1st March 2019 onwards..... this will be SD and comes to around Rs 500. (I used to pay Rs 500 for HD till date per month).

Most cable operators are taking customers for granted.....I have forwarded my emails to TRAI stating the incompetency and poor service provided by Hathway...you guys also can do the same and bring these guys to task!

[email protected]
[email protected]

I am sure with enough complaints and feedback going to TRAI will ensure prompt corrective action.

I use my Tatasky only for sports. All HD sports channels including espn, star, Sony.

1 HD new channel.

2 HD nat geo channels.

That’s all. Rest is Hotstar Netflix and amazon. Along with kodi, shield tv and plenty of streaming options.

Approach Indigital local for new pack selection. They refuse to accept my list. They are forcing user to select their package only. Finally, I send a mail to indigital directly. Let's see.

For time being, it is better to stay away from Big Bouquets like Star. That may force them to further reduce the prices.

Approach Indigital local for new pack selection. They refuse to accept my list. They are forcing user to select their package only. Finally, I send a mail to indigital directly. Let's see.

For time being, it is better to stay away from Big Bouquets like Star. That may force them to further reduce the prices.

Hi

Suggest you make you pack on this website (which is the DTH / Cable TV regulator) please read the landing page on how it works.....

Once done, take a print ...instead of print, save the same as PDF.....then mail to them (Indigital) and say as Advertised by TRAI for the last 2 weeks, I have prepared my choice of channels and want this....let them then come back formally by mail stating yes or no for the pack prepared by you....

Update....

So called partial BlackOut of channels continue with Hathway...they are loaded with customer complaints....they have not informed TRAI that they have done this (technically they need to report disruptions if it exceeds more than 24 hours). I believe as per law they are supposed to credit the customer the days of disruption amount.

Even after advising them to put some banner notification when set top box comes on about disruption and technical issues...they have not done it....guess its time to put them in the press

Fresh Update.....(mods if you can merge with my above post, will be great)

I met the guy who regularly comes to collect payments.....he is helpless....informed me that Hathway as discriminatingly moved subscribers to their SELFIE prepared packs (270/350/450) without any study of consumer / subscriber usage patten etc as per latest TRAI directive!

What is the most irritating fact is that this so call blanket decision is taken and applied even to those (like myself..paid till Feb 2019) who have paid in advance till Feb 19 or Mar 19 or May 19.

The staff have no answers and it seems the so called SUPER Intellect Management made these decisions and exercised the same based on TRAI monday announcement of deadline extension.....if they (Hathway Management) can use their brains and update missing broadcaster value packs well in advance, none of us would be facing issues or wasting time in mails and calls.......the management seems to deliberately push their packs where they stand to make a lot of money and be in business......boradcaster value packs means less profits or commission ...hence not being updated

What Hathway is doing is unfair...I am sure there are other better DTH or cable providers who act fairly in line with laws etc and are customer centric with good service.....time to switch.....

Open feedback mail sent......copied TRAI on the mail....lets see...planning to expose them on Times...or possibly already done by other subscribers....

• Further Update....

Most of you would have seen TRAI videos / ads coming on your most viewed channels especially during peak hours of viewing......7pm to 11pm

Their ads are really informative and has all you need to get even with your cable TV / DTH operator.....

See this link

Bottom of this page has the latest updated list of Broadcaster packs, A La Carte channel listing and prices, 550 FTA channels listing...all this updated as on 15th Feb 2019....

Next on right hand side bottom of this page is the email ids of Service Providers (Cable TV and DTH Operators) which you may not have should you want to engage with them for activation of choices or reinstatement of OLD plan which is part of Annual subscription you have paid for already and valid in 2019 (till Feb / Mar / Apr / Jun) etc. If your are in this category and facing disrupted services or blackouts....drop a mail to the provider with a cc to [email protected] document everything as proof....

The most important thing on this page is the FAQs section...this document was last updated as on 20th Feb 2019. (Edition 1.5)

Hallmarks of this document:

• Pages 4- 6 detail about Clause # 10 which speaks about clarity of Rs 130 charge and the choice of channels that needs to be made by the customer only...in short the provider cannot push anything down your throat.....so cite this link and the clause to get what is due to you.
  • Clause # 11 speaks about paid annual subscriptions in 2018 by customers, which are valid in 2019....if you fall into this category and faced challenges and issues with channels / services,,,,,,,demand a reinstatement / roll back of your old plans as per agreement valid till 31st Mar 2019 as per deadline extension. Till then the provider can update his website / form with the latest packs channels for you to exercise your choice...there cant be any disruption of services which has already been contracted....
  • Clauses 69 and 70 on pages 23 onwards speaks about customer service, addressing of complaints and nodal officer, their mandated timeline for resolution and clousre....if you have noted complaints logged or emails which have crossed the timeframe, you have all right o demand for compensation etc etc.......
  • Once you have made your choice of packs or channels etc....the provider has to migrate your subscription choice within 72 hours....if not done then that means the provider is not prepared and has to inform TRAI on the same and also continue your old plan till they get their act right!
So armed with this, I have gone to Hathway and shaken their world....demanded restoration of my annual subscription which is still valid.

Lets see...spread the word about the TRAI website....

I have been trying to educate my parents and their neighbors about this.
They are bent on believing the "cable guy"; and look at me like I have recently grown two heads.
Currently, Hathway has cut off the old packs citing "software upgrade" and pushing a curated pack of free channels (adding up to 100)
The twist is:
130/- for the base pack (of 100 useless channels)
20/- for every 25 channels (SD - 1 count, HD - 2 count)
And pay for the channel/bouquet costs as per selection.
Allegedly they will have a clear idea by March 31.

I have advised parents to return both STBs for now.
Showed them what they can get from streaming/subscription services.
Now to get high speed fiber into the location.

Cheers,
Raghu

I submitted the optimized list to the local Hathway cable operator & still see few of the chosen channels missing. Like Raghu has mentioned above, they either cite upgrade or source related issues. Apart from this, I encounter consistent signal drops even in good weather conditions. It gets too annoying especially when you are watching some occasional cricket!

As it's the beginning of a new month, I'm now thinking to move to Airtel as I've their v fiber service. Just that the issue I see is that I can't explore their site as per my requirement, add/choose channels & calculate the cost. They still got their own packs on the site & the only way is to contact their customer service. So, the headache continues!

I shall give Hathway a final chance as there is a match in some time. If I encounter issues with the transmission, that's it, will bid them adieu!

Update:

I told Hathway to disconnect my line ,,,,,,,mail was copied to TRAI and even the Hathway Board members......

The Area Manager called up and since mine was the first and oldest cable connection in the area ( 15 years +)....he was all out to help...

So what happened was this.

• From backend, removed the Hathway recommended pack which was pushed on the acccount.
  • I added the available packs of my choice, the rest was through A La Carte
  • The missing broadcaster packs, he will work on to add and make available.
  • I added the packs and made the payment which is valid for 30 days....irrespective of the month or day you activate...the expiry shows on app or selfcare login page online.
  • News unofficially buzzing is that Broadcasters may drop rates effective April onwards
  • Another news....Reliance is coming out with a 3 in 1 scheme within 999 inclusive of taxes,,,,,,phone line, unlimited internet and HD Cable TV services......lets see ......hence all this ruckus!
Check your current subscribed plan using the APP or Self Care Login page......Since my packs are not available....the Area Manager said to take A La Carte and he will look to somehow give the excess spend (over the actual broadcaster pack) as credit....lets see

Have to say this - Tata Sky was very transparent. Their website debits your allowance of 100 free channels at the rate of 1 per SD channel adn 2 per HD channel. I guess most of us who watch HD channels cannot really watch SD anymore. It calculates the NCF correctly and adds GST for any choice of channels. The usual clunkiness is there (if you refresh all your channel selections disappear etc.) which is reassuring.

Same for DISH TV and Hathway...calculations are fine as per rule 1 HD will be equal to 2 SD.....

Dish TV is not counting NCF for FTA channels.......its very transparent.

The only glitch with Hathway is some prominent missing Broadcaster SD and HD packs including A La Carte channels.

We are just two of us and using Tatasky on two TVs with multi TV plan.
Was wondering if it was possible to have two accounts at one address and split the required channels into two segments, one on each TV?
Anyone tried to do this?

Wow that's a lot of effort going into Hathway. If you don't owe them anything, why go on with them? Switch to Airtel or Tatasky. This new ruling is terrible, it's only made TV watching more expensive at the same time switched on a countdown for the smaller providers.

Tweaked my channels 2 days back. Now I have just about 30 channels. All HD. No Sony, no zee. Just star package and a couple if a la carte channels. Rental came to 370/- odd. Earlier I had more than double the channels and paid 420/-.

MaSh

Yes. On the outset, the decision by TRAI seems terrible.
I see some long term benefits though:
  1. Pay for what you watch (end of freebie culture, hopefully)
  2. Will force channels to regulate pricing
  3. Will make people do something other than watch TV because it is there

Cheers,
Raghu

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back