Airtel or Dish tv or Videocon

varma_vikas

Hi All,

I am Vikas Varma from Delhi. I am looking for a a very good set top box. Currently have tata sky sd box and the quality is really bad. Even my normal cable has better picture quality. I need the best in PQ and the quality of the box.

Choices are Airtel or Dish tv or Videocon

I have read good reviews for Dish tv.

Please suggest. Any help is appreciatiable.

Thanks and regards to all of you who are helping people in good buy.

Vikas Varma

Hi All,

I am Vikas Varma from Delhi. I am looking for a a very good set top box. Currently have tata sky sd box and the quality is really bad. Even my normal cable has better picture quality. I need the best in PQ and the quality of the box.

Vikas Varma

Everyone had their own preferences so I would suggest you to see their quality beforehand. You can ask your friends or family if they have those DTH available. That will be better.

I have Airtel HD Recorder and I am pretty happy with it. Both SD and HD Channels are good. But I dont know whether you will like it or not.

Actually mosy of all the time I have seen only tata sky and dishtv or big tv(reliance) outside the houses or on the roof of the houses. Airtel is least I have seen somewhere. May be I am wrong.

Airtel was worse than tata sky till some time back.
Their recent realignment to a different satellite made PQ in my house better.

Hi All,

Vikas Varma

to get the best from your tv and your cable provider you need to go HD!!! HD will change the way you watch television. I suggest Tata Sky HD or Airtel HD, their service is a lot better than Dish TV. Also, Dish TV will give you upscaled channels which they call HD. Airtel and Tata Sky will give you true HD channels. No of HD channels is irrelevant as there is a constant battle going on but most cable providers do more a less have the same number of HD channels. Let me know what you decide.

Hi Aakash,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion and reply. Actually I have heard that tata sky has been using mpeg2 where as operators like airtel and videocon and dish tv are using mpeg-4 and airtel is most technically advanced

Thank you
Vikas Varma

Thank you Blasto
Now how ur Airtel is working ? Is that better than tata sky? I have heard that airtel has got the best technology and are most advance, using mpeg-4 technology.

Thanks and regards

Vikas Varma

I have both airtel and tatasky . Airtel has more number of channels than tatasky ... CBS fx movies now etc etc .... Only downside of airtel is that i find consumer service inferior than to tata sky ...

I am having Airtel HD and I find it quite good. I recently subscribed to the HD pack where in you get all HD channels including all star HD, movies now HD, Discovery, Natgeo HD.

Of all I find Star movies HD and Discovery HD to be the best and they offer Bluray rips quality. I am yet to hook up my 5.1 to Stat movies HD and see how it is.

But over all I am satisfactory with Airtel and no complaints yet!

Thank you Blasto
Now how ur Airtel is working ? Is that better than tata sky? I have heard that airtel has got the best technology and are most advance, using mpeg-4 technology.

Thanks and regards

Vikas Varma

I would say that the recent realignment has bought the SD channel quality on par with tata-sky in MY house. But a lot depends on location and signal strength in YOUR house.

I saw tata sky in one of my friend's house which is in a huge gated community with that huge flying sauser dish :)D) in the tower. It looked pretty better than my airtel connection at that time as I got only 40% signal strength at my house.

With recent realignment, the signal strength became 60% and the pq is in par with tata.. Dont know if there is a scope for improvement if the strength is like 80 or 100%..

HD is a different story.. Absolutely stunning pq.. Now I watch normal channels like <20% time.. They look aweful in comparison..

If Iam taking a new connection today, I would take the provider with the most HD channels (which is videocon) and not spend energy on SD channel quality which only matters 20% of the time.

Tata sky has bandwidth problem. So adding new HD channels will be a problem. Dish thinks that upscaling is what is called as HD. Better to avoid these two..

Last edited:
I would say that the recent realignment has bought the SD channel quality on par with tata-sky in MY house. But a lot depends on location and signal strength in YOUR house.

I saw tata sky in one of my friend's house which is in a huge gated community with that huge flying sauser dish :)D) in the tower. It looked pretty better than my airtel connection at that time as I got only 40% signal strength at my house.

With recent realignment, the signal strength became 60% and the pq is in par with tata.. Dont know if there is a scope for improvement if the strength is like 80 or 100%..

HD is a different story.. Absolutely stunning pq.. Now I watch normal channels like <20% time.. They look aweful in comparison..

If Iam taking a new connection today, I would take the provider with the most HD channels (which is videocon) and not spend energy on SD channel quality which only matters 20% of the time.

Tata sky has bandwidth problem. So adding new HD channels will be a problem. Dish thinks that upscaling is what is called as HD. Better to avoid these two..

I agree on your verdict, however signal strength is not related to reception quality as its digital signals and not analog. If the signals are not proper, you may face reception issue which includes mild pixellation as well. However, there is no reason to doubt signal strength if there is no disturbance.

I agree on your verdict, however signal strength is not related to reception quality as its digital signals and not analog. If the signals are not proper, you may face reception issue which includes mild pixellation as well. However, there is no reason to doubt signal strength if there is no disturbance.

There was pixellation then and now too in few channels while in others there are none. I attribute this to compression/decompression because the HD channels are stunning anyways..

Further, we are talking of different satellite and completely diferent signals with increased bandwidth and different reception device (HD DVR) here.. Also, now the DVR does the upscaling.. Could be my TVs HDMI reception is better than RCA.. So many differences..

All the above accounted, There is surely atleast 15-20% improvement in some channels while others which were good before remain almost same.. But none that I watch have degraded.. They all look aweful compared to HD without questions.. Some HD movies are better than my Bluray rips (8GB)..

Having said the above, the pq is only as good as the tata sky mentioned earlier.. If you want to 'upgrade' from tata sky, you need to look elsewhere.

airtel HD is awsome hook up to a HT amp and enjoy bluray quality all the way 24x7!!

Really :eek:, I have two airtel HD boxes and none of them are bluray quality. Can you help what is wrong ? Signal strength is 180+ and Full HD LCD SONY TV. ....What am I missing ? :)

I have been using Airtel for more than 2 years now (well, got it free with my Sammy LCD tv). initial plus point was they provided worldspace radio channels. the biggest sore point - customer care- has always been pathetic. worse than any of the services viz. mobile phone, landline, credit card, banking etc etc. :mad: but the picture quality has been good. have seen Tata Sky and Reliance at my friends places. somehow i think even the SD service was better (or may be its just my TV:D ).

Upgraded to HD recorder about a month back...great PQ with HD channels - Star Movies, Movies Now, Star World, Star Gold, NGC, Discovery and good SQ too with 5.1 ch Dolby Digital through optical out. Wont say Blu-ray levels though. have normal SD connection for my bedroom TV. Both-upgrading to HD and getting an additional connection have been very bad experiences, but once its up and running you are good. don't want to get into details as it would make this already long post still longer.

would again point out beware of the customer service, else is good.

cheers

guys plz share your views / feedback about Videocon D2H. I need to buy a new HD DTH provider for my Panasonic ST30 50".
Would be a big favor if you could share your opinion asap coz I am dying to get started with my ST30.

Cheers

Vinayak

guys plz share your views / feedback about Videocon D2H. I need to buy a new HD DTH provider for my Panasonic ST30 50".
Would be a big favor if you could share your opinion asap coz I am dying to get started with my ST30.

Cheers

Vinayak

Hi Vinayak,
I am using Videocon HD d2h.Picture quality in 12 HD channels(highest than other operators) is awsome on my Panasonic 42" V20 :yahoo:.

In SD channels also i have noticed an improvement in picture qualiry(I was using Dish dth before).

Their service also is very good and prompt.Recently i had a minor problem and they attended in less than 24 hrs and rectified :clapping:.

Overall am very happy with videocon d2h :eek:hyeah:.
thanks,
Dijeesh.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back