AKG K77 any good ?

grunthos

Came across an AKG headphone - K77 - online which is priced too well
There arent too many reviews of it available only

My requirements are over ear and closed back
Usually listening is at office desk, so portability isnt any concern
I use a Fiio X3 (gen 1), so power isnt a problem either.
My current headphones are Ultimate Ears UE6000.

Now AKGs have a good pedigree and they are unlikely to produce a completely crappy product. But at this price it is tempting to buy just to have a second headphone

Anyone has tried them ? Do you think it would be a step down from my UE6000 (which I love for its lush sound)

The AKG K77 are decent headphones and a budgetary star.

Some of the headphones I have shortlisted include the following:

• Audio-Technica ATH-M30
  • Panasonic RP-HTX7
  • Creative Sound Blaster Jam
  • ME Electronics HT-21
  • Audio Max HB-8A (Not available in India)
  • Soundpeats A1
  • AKG K77
  • AKG K451
  • Sennheiser HD 180
  • Sennheiser HD 429
  • Shure SRH144
  • Shure SRH145
All these are prices between 3500 and 5000, excepting the Sennheiser HD180 which sells for 900. The Sennheiser are attractive as they cover your ears completely.

Cheers

Samson sr 850 and 950 has good reviews. Any phone do not expect its sq to open all on a sudden. Let it burn in for atleast 50 hours to open the spider free movement. I came across Beyerdynamic custom one pro plus in it you can customise your low frequencies and control them. More over 16 ohms so your smartphone or fiio will not find hard to drive it. More over its noise isolation is very good. Very comfortable. In web there is one site sonic source audio pro You can follow that also. With a same hp you can hear the performance of your choice headphone I think there is your Akg 77. Enjoy

Ditched the K77 as it is semi-closed (wouldnt be acceptable in an office)
Went for the K44 which is fully closed

Ordered it on flipkart for 1780 as a blind buy.
Will let you know how it goes

Initial few thoughts after a couple of days listening on the AKG K44 :
(I bought the K44 because the K77 is semi open, while the K44 is closed)

(Flipkart was decently quick in delivery. Ordered on Thursday and received on Monday)

At Rs 1800,I dont think there is anything in the market that is as value for money as the AKG K44
The headphone sounds good in almost any genre of music, but esp instrumental and vocals.

Build
One of the cons - Super plasticky and light. Almost cheap feather-weight type
But feels sturdy. The cable is a thick sturdy type, (and at 2-2.5m, damn too long)
But because of the light weight, sits super comfortably on the head
Everyone who has tried them in office first comments on how comfortable it is to wear. The adjustable strap works just as it is supposed to, without putting any pressure on the head

Also, looks much better when worn than by themselves :)

Sound
The headphones are high sensitivity, so mobile phone is easily able to drive them
(But I use my Fiio X3 mostly)

The sound is very open, crisp/transparent (instruments can be heard separately and in focus)
Vocals (mids) are also very nicely heard (I can hear the slight modulations in the singers voice as I write this)
The only con I can think of is that the bass can get a bit muddled up. But it isnt overpowering like in some consumer headphones
Also, seal is good and there is absolutely no sound leakage

It benefits from some burn in. The sound has smoothened a fair bit since I unwrapped it and plugged it in

PS - Couple of colleagues who have higher AKG models like K550 mentioned that they cant justify the premium of the K550 ($200) over this. Either that is overpriced or this is underpriced :)

5eb36f3a949a6930c5fff9085c5857f0.jpg

Last edited:
Back