Allo USBRIDGE SIGNATURE Player - Owners Thread

I also think it might be the reason. External usb drives are fast enough to read 256mb in 3-4 mins of song duration. You should be able to play native dsd if linux driver supports your dac in native dsd. Pls go through this.

thanks for the URL.. the first topic of MPD and DSD with DoP should work for me..
I'm on Chord 2Qute, i think it supports native DSD? and DoP...
I think from USBridge Sig, only DoP is possible - that linux kernal issue? - not sure... anybody running Native DSD from USBridge...?

The screenshot shows the audio file as "DSD64".

Which device performs the conversion from DSD to PCM?

Is your DAC capable of natively decoding DSD? If yes, let it play DSD natively. This conversion from DSD to PCM is usually a processing intensive operation and needs better processing power than a RPi. My best guess is that the stutter is because of delays in real time conversion.

I guess that conversion is happening in RPi.. it could be resource hungry process.. but if it is not feasible in RPi, then why that mode is enabled in USBridge.. we can't upgrade the processing power know...
In MoOde palyer settings, DSD over PCM = 'Yes' (I'm getting full res DSD only via this DoP route) - that means my DAC mayn't (?) support native DSD..

nice, which dac? and is it plays via DoP?
btw; Externally powered HDD means those 3.5" desktop backup drives - which has a power adapter right?
I use a Teac Reference DAC, and yes the hard disk is externally powered.

My amp (Devialet 120) there is a streamer and I use ethernet cable to stream music or play from laptop but with high resolution and few songs it makes cracking sound. A good friend of mine was suggesting to get Allo signature model. I am bit worried about this cracking sound.
Is this happening for all or it is not common?
Hi Renjith! Nice to see you here.
I'm facing issues only to playback DSD files... FLACs and Wav are playing fine...

If you can login to usbridge using ssh, try running commands such as top to get the cpu usage and dmesg to see if you get some spurious messages while songs are playing. You can also enable verbose logging in mpd which will tell more details about playback of your tracks.

@noblejose Just to rule out and isolate USBridge + Moode, will it be possible for you to play the same DSD file from a laptop (or PC) >> USB cable >> 2qute?

Ok, good to know that Noble. Enjoy music.
Thanks for confirming.
Do you have lot DSD songs?
Not many, actually downloaded few symphonies and 2-3 albums to test; what i can hear is a huge soundstage - especially on the Eagle's Hotel California! I would say its a huge stepup from CD/FLAC to DSD for these tracks..
Enjoy the Music!

Last edited:
If you can login to usbridge using ssh, try running commands such as top to get the cpu usage and dmesg to see if you get some spurious messages while songs are playing. You can also enable verbose logging in mpd which will tell more details about playback of your tracks.
have to check this route, thanks for pointing.
I haven't got a chance to drill down to coding side.

Not many, actually downloaded few symphonies and 2-3 albums to test; what i can hear is a huge soundstage - especially on the Eagle's Hotel California! I would say its a huge stepup from CD/FLAC to DAD for these tracks..
Enjoy the Music!

Ok, will try to get few. Thanks for the information.

Great. I'm using Chord 2Qute; rest my chain in my signature..
I've tried digione too.. finding usb is better for me

If i may ask can you let me know what made you shift to allo usb sig.

I have digione signature, but i am finding it having a softer punch than direct from laptop usb though sound is ultra clean. Some how laptop usb sound more cohesive to me with syngergistic sound. I am contemplating to get a usb sig but not sure my problem would be solved.

@noblejose Allo recommends to use the Volumio/DietPi image from their website, to resolve the "crack" (vinyl like pops) sounds you're reporting, especially for those DACs that don't support native DSD on linux, like Chord. See if it helps in your case.

Last edited:
I had similar issues with drop outs playing DSD on USB Sig with Moode and Dietpi. Moved to gentooplayer 4 weeks ago. Its been rock solid ever since and sounds great. I can play native 512 dsd using HQPlayer software on USB Sig.

If i may ask can you let me know what made you shift to allo usb sig.

I have digione signature, but i am finding it having a softer punch than direct from laptop usb though sound is ultra clean. Some how laptop usb sound more cohesive to me with syngergistic sound. I am contemplating to get a usb sig but not sure my problem would be solved.
Almost similar observation.. i find USB is better in terms of full/ rich.. resolution...

I had similar issues with drop outs playing DSD on USB Sig with Moode and Dietpi. Moved to gentooplayer 4 weeks ago. Its been rock solid ever since and sounds great. I can play native 512 dsd using HQPlayer software on USB Sig.
Cool. Need to try this route, thsnks for pointing

@noblejose Allo recommends to use the Volumio/DietPi image from their website, to resolve the "crack" (vinyl like pops) sounds you're reporting, especially for those DACs that don't support native DSD on linux, like Chord. See if it helps in your case.
For me, its not vinyl like cracks/ pops.. it litterally stops for a moment or two while playing.. kind of paused to download / process audio

Hi,

I recently moved from a Mac mini playing through Audirvana plus to an Allo USBridge Signature playing Volumio.
The sound in the Allo has better sound stage, more detailed, better bass. A bit forward sounding, but overall very satisfactory. However, I feel the software (and maybe even the hardware) is surely filled with bugs and different users may encounter different issues. It would be useful if we can jointly compile a list of known issues with this product and, of possible, suggest a workaround.

I have been facing the following issues:
1. If the HDD attached directly to the Allo has a large volume of files, say 2tb, the Allo crashes frequently. The workaround is to use a pen drive or a max 1tb hdd
2. More often than not, it doesn't recognise the NAS. I haven't been able to resolve this.
3. It asks for login and password everytime Volumio is restarted, forcing me to connect a screen and keyboard to login. My friends report that their software doesn't need login/pw when powered on.

Cheers!

Hi,

I recently moved from a Mac mini playing through Audirvana plus to an Allo USBridge Signature playing Volumio.
The sound in the Allo has better sound stage, more detailed, better bass. A bit forward sounding, but overall very satisfactory. However, I feel the software (and maybe even the hardware) is surely filled with bugs and different users may encounter different issues. It would be useful if we can jointly compile a list of known issues with this product and, of possible, suggest a workaround.

I have been facing the following issues:
1. If the HDD attached directly to the Allo has a large volume of files, say 2tb, the Allo crashes frequently. The workaround is to use a pen drive or a max 1tb hdd
2. More often than not, it doesn't recognise the NAS. I haven't been able to resolve this.
3. It asks for login and password everytime Volumio is restarted, forcing me to connect a screen and keyboard to login. My friends report that their software doesn't need login/pw when powered on.

Cheers!
The recent versions of Volumio have lots of mpd bugs with dropouts, crashing of library etc. I flashed Moode yesterday and it has been smooth sailing so far. Give it a try. You can download directly from the Moode website itself.

The recent versions of Volumio have lots of mpd bugs with dropouts, crashing of library etc. I flashed Moode yesterday and it has been smooth sailing so far. Give it a try. You can download directly from the Moode website itself.
Can we install moode on Allo usbridge

Back