Allo USBRIDGE SIGNATURE Player - Owners Thread

Hi,

I recently moved from a Mac mini playing through Audirvana plus to an Allo USBridge Signature playing Volumio.
The sound in the Allo has better sound stage, more detailed, better bass. A bit forward sounding, but overall very satisfactory. However, I feel the software (and maybe even the hardware) is surely filled with bugs and different users may encounter different issues. It would be useful if we can jointly compile a list of known issues with this product and, of possible, suggest a workaround.

I have been facing the following issues:
1. If the HDD attached directly to the Allo has a large volume of files, say 2tb, the Allo crashes frequently. The workaround is to use a pen drive or a max 1tb hdd
2. More often than not, it doesn't recognise the NAS. I haven't been able to resolve this.
3. It asks for login and password everytime Volumio is restarted, forcing me to connect a screen and keyboard to login. My friends report that their software doesn't need login/pw when powered on.

Cheers!
For me te USBridge Signature running without any issues - both with volumio and MoOde players.
I've tried pen drive, and network/upnp via - minimserver (installed in both laptop and a desktop), bubble upnp on android to control playback. Only issue on the DSD part.

Your issues:
1. Attaching HDD is NOT recommened by ALLO/ i've gone though few discussion forums and allo suggested to use pen drives only. - not even SSD - if i remember right, they were reffering to some switching signals/etc.
2. I use minimserver in computer and 'bubble upnp' on android to control - works without any issues. See if you can install/run any music/file server aplications in NAS/storage.
3. Volumio boots without any login details for me. I would suggest download volumio and do a fresh flash.
Also try MoOde player - i find this one better (sound signature). I'm also planning to try Gentooplayer soon.

Thanks @noblejose

The HDD seems to work fine after I switched to a lower capacity. I was going to get an SSD but after reading your reply, I will keep that on hold.

The NAS server recognition issue has been faced by a few users like me. It gets resolved by rebooting the router.

I will surely try Moode player.

Thanks again!

1. Attaching HDD is NOT recommened by ALLO/ i've gone though few discussion forums and allo suggested to use pen drives only. - not even SSD - if i remember right, they were reffering to some switching signals/etc.

this seems a pretty bad restriction for a streamer. Is it a hardware issue with the Signature version? The older one didn’t have any such problems

Allo recommend not using noisy SSD on USBridge, and the best they say is to use another RPI + SSD on network and have a galvanic isolation between them.

The entire point of the original usbridge was to isolate the hat from the noise on the main Sparky board. Guess the new design can't do that for usb devices as they don't plug into the compute board.

Is the new board more optimised for playback from the network but actually worse for playing back from a usb device?

Assuming there are no issues in either case, has anyone tried playing the same file via hdd and via nas? Do you hear a difference?

Assuming there are no issues in either case, has anyone tried playing the same file via hdd and via nas? Do you hear a difference?

Yes same file through hdd is better than on nas. Moreover playing through upnp is strict no. Wav file will also be better. Convert all your flacs to wav connected locally to allo devices. Placement of allo devices also affect sound depending on what base its placed. I place it on top of my dac which gives some sense of isolation. Do not hide it assuming its small. Actually its true for all devices. Dont put them in closed spaces.

@firearm12 Are you referring to Allo USBridge Signature in the context of same file playing through HDD sounding better than NAS? Thanks.

I have digione singature which i use and i think it wont be different for usbridge signature also. Same i found true for laptop usb playback also.

I've compared the two extensively. Playing from HDD beats NAS on all counts: better focus, better sound stage, more detail. I believe the sq will improve even more with a better hdd cable and replacement by SSD.
Caveat: There appears to be a limit on the folder size on the hdd. I wouldn't go beyond 1tb

I've compared the two extensively. Playing from HDD beats NAS on all counts: better focus, better sound stage, more detail. I believe the sq will improve even more with a better hdd cable and replacement by SSD.
Caveat: There appears to be a limit on the folder size on the hdd. I wouldn't go beyond 1tb

I did not get the folder size. I can use 5tb hdd with my digione sig. What filesystem it is.

I use ntfs only, copy files from windows laptop and mount on linux readonly. This way its easy to get it plugged cross devices. Never used exfat. Some FS do not have good compatibity with linux. Also when you say crashes, what happens exactly. Is it that drive stops spinning by itself or something else. It can be related to power available on the usb port also. Bigger hd requires more power.

I use ntfs only, copy files from windows laptop and mount on linux readonly. This way its easy to get it plugged cross devices. Never used exfat. Some FS do not have good compatibity with linux. Also when you say crashes, what happens exactly. Is it that drive stops spinning by itself or something else. It can be related to power available on the usb port also. Bigger hd requires more power.
Volumio used to stop recognising the mounted drive, though spinning. But all well now after using a lower capacity HDD.

Has anyone listened to both the original one and signature? Any significant difference?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back