Amazon Echo/Alexa First impression

raj_mj

I was looking for a descent entry level/mid Bluetooth speaker for sometime when got an email from Amazon to pre-order Echo. With Alexa service, 1yr prime membership included, @6999/- it sounded like a good deal and I decided to take the plunge. Order it in October first week.it was launched in India on Oct 31st 2017. Got it delivered on 1St Nov !!

Setup:
My 13yr son unboxed it in 1 min. Downloaded the Alexa app on my android phone and set up the speaker in less than 5min. He quickly added few sports news 'skills'.

Best thing about it is the quality of speech recognition. My 8yr daughter who had given up trying voice commands to operate our car entertainment and navigation system was delighted to find Alexa honouring all her requests :) She made her say all maths tables, tell tongue twisters !

Even when you are playing it at almost full volume, it does recognise the wakeup word from across the room. Very impressive !

The speaker itself was better than what i had expected. Really impressed with the build and sound quality.

It comes with Amazon prime music and complimentary add free Saavn as well. Not sure how long the Saavn subscription will last - haven't signed up yet, just using default option.

Alexa gets used more often than my an year old Onkyo-Kef setup just because of the convenience involved !

Adding reminders, alarms etc is breeze and is really convenient !!

Overall a really thought through product and services and built with very good quality. Was worth the wait and spend !!
Cheers
Raj

Iam a Echo dot user, works like a charm ,excellent for home automation with cheap Sonoff wireless switches .Any idea for a compatible bluetooth speaker ,tried pairing with a Bose doesn't seem to pair.

Did any of you figure out how to make playlists on Prime Music? Alexa keeps playing random songs and it'd be so much better if we can create a playlist from selected songs which we can then use for playback. Somehow the Saavn addon is also not quite there yet. If you want it to play a predefined playlist on Saavn, it does not do it at all.

Haven't tried creating playlist yet on prime or saavn. The other problem i see is playing music from your own collection from nas/network/dlna.
Exception is you use the echo as Bluetooth speaker.

Prime Music app is not yet out. Probably playlists and artist/genre selection will be possible in it.

search for eWeLink Smart Home Fan

I seen this, for some reason it doesnt let me login when it connects to their server, though the official EwElink app is connected and i can control my sonoff device from there. Ill give it a go again or perhaps will have to wait until they official release their app on the India amazon skills

I seen this, for some reason it doesnt let me login when it connects to their server, though the official EwElink app is connected and i can control my sonoff device from there. Ill give it a go again or perhaps will have to wait until they official release their app on the India amazon skills

eWelink has been added on skills list and amazon echo and is working fine. I have connected Sonoff switch and is responding.

Is the Amazon Prime Music Subcription activated for India yet? I bought the Echo recently, but it seems to play music only from Saavn! Plus, most Radio Stations on the tunein option dont seem to work either...

raj_mj,

Try Ebay india it is listed but price on the higher side , i always pick it up from Banggood a chinese site like Aliexpress .Never had problem with customs always order 2pcs max at a time, price around 4us$. Sonoff skill is now live on Alexa india.

Is the Amazon Prime Music Subcription activated for India yet? I bought the Echo recently, but it seems to play music only from Saavn! Plus, most Radio Stations on the tunein option dont seem to work either...

I had the same issue and now its sorted,

Contact amazon customer support and tell them that the Amazon music is not getting activated, they will then sort it in 2 hours.

Apparently the account goes into basic version so amazon prime features not available, even though you may have a valid prime subscription.

I just received it today in the morning.
Will do a detailed unboxing and review in my youtube channel by weekend.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back