Amazon Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote launched in India

Can the Fire Stick be plugged into the AVR instead of TV?
Tried out the Amazon firestick on my Oppo 103. Plugged it in the front HDMI in but it didn't work. Tried it on the rear HDMI in and powered it from one of the rear USB ports. Worked on that very well. In fact PQ is far superior to using it on my Panansonic TV. Maybe the Oppo has a better video processor?
Sound also seems to be a tad more refined and detailed. I think I will continue to use it on the Oppo.

Last edited:
Bit the bullet and ordered one mainly for playing ytkids videos to my kid for easing the process of feeding her food :p. Been searching for similar quality product for a long time.

Not having an idea of upgrading my dumb TV for another year since my current rented house doesn't have a provision for a wall mounted one. Once we settle in a different house next year, might gift it or sell it and buy my long awaited LG 4k web OS Tv. Then i don't think i need this.

I recieved my firestick and have started using it.

Apps I have used are Netflix, gaana and you tube.

I mainly bough it to watch prime videos as I was watching prime video on my phone.

I have plugged it into my Denon avrx 1200w and the setup was a breeze.

Quality it supports is HD ready and full hd.

I watched suicide squad and I got 5.1 channels.

Overall found it worth the money spent

I do agree it is priced above the retail price in the USA, but I guess that is the same for any electronic item.

I have chromecast video too. So the main reason was to buy this was to watch prime videos, but after I have used it I think I would be using it for other apps too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

@docd - Can you please comment on the Kodi install on the stick? People have mentioned that this has Kodi builtin. Can we install plugins on this Kodi and then continue to use it like an independent media box?

@docd - Can you please comment on the Kodi install on the stick? People have mentioned that this has Kodi builtin. Can we install plugins on this Kodi and then continue to use it like an independent media box?

It seems that in the older versions of firestick you could download Kodi from Amazon store. However they have removed it in the latest one. However kodi can still be installed via a hack. It's really quite simple. Google and find out more. Those who have done it are quite happy.

Kodi was earlier part of amazon app store but it is not there any longer. However, you can sideload kodi on this device and use it with any plugins you like. It will work just fine.

Is there any cheaper alternative to the fire stick? I already have roku3 and want something that will play all the Indian apps like Voot, Hotstar etc. and Prime of course.

I recieved my firestick and have started using it.

Apps I have used are Netflix, gaana and you tube.

I mainly bough it to watch prime videos as I was watching prime video on my phone.

I have plugged it into my Denon avrx 1200w and the setup was a breeze.

Quality it supports is HD ready and full hd.

I watched suicide squad and I got 5.1 channels.

Overall found it worth the money spent

I do agree it is priced above the retail price in the USA, but I guess that is the same for any electronic item.

I have chromecast video too. So the main reason was to buy this was to watch prime videos, but after I have used it I think I would be using it for other apps too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Can you tell me little more about the sound quality of the movie you watched on Prime ? Was the volume level okay ? Is the quality good as netflix or Star Movies ?

I just got my Amazon Fire stick today. Really simple to setup with simple on screen guide. Connected it to my Denon 1200w AVR and got 5.1 Sound. Video quality for Prime video is pristine 1080p HD.

Planning to use it for Primevideo, Netflix, Hotstar and Plex (for my local movies on my computer).

Support, DD+ Audio. I found the volume level low for both Primevideo and Netflix, because they have a low bit rate and compressed in order to accommodate streaming. If I really need top notch sound quality then I will rather play a Bluray on the bluray player.

But overall, this is the device that should be enough for all your subscribed video watching and also any local videos using Plex. (Plex is available free from App store and it is a better intuitive interface that Kodi in my opinion).

Overall, the device is worth the purchase for this price, given that you have only paid 499 per year for the prime video ! Hopefully, you will begin to get Amazon music also very soon on the same subscription.

Cons : No Google play movies or music and also no Android version of Apple Music

Is Prime Music not included in Amazon India Prime membership?

Not included yet. But given the presence of Google Music and Apple Music, I don't see why not. But right now there is 6 months free with Gaana, so there is a bit of doubt as well ;)

Pardon my ignorance
There are several websites where you can play hd movies of even 2017,with more than 1000 titles with 5.1 audio
So,why amazon prime
Iam simply casting movies on my smart tv from my mobile and the quality is good
So,why apv?,anything different?.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back