Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in India

Re: Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in Indi

I returned my Echo. The main reason was because I did not like the heavy Indian accent of the Alexa voice. You can change to voice to a different accent, but then you can't use any features like Skills, etc. I like to have a neutral accent, and I found the forced "Indianness" of the new Alexa voice very offputting. Since I could not change the type of accept and still retain functionality, I ended up returning it. Happy to stick with Siri for now.

Too bad that Amazon.in removed the ability to switch languages/accents on the Alexa app. https://www.groovypost.com/howto/amazon-echo-give-alexa-a-british-accent-or-speak-german/

Re: Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in Indi

Yeelights are plug and play, i am already using 3 with Alex and 3 more are on the way. Philips hue bulb will work with Echo plus that have the hub built in. will not work directly with echo dot as it requires a smart hub.

How do you get yeelights to sync with alexa. It is not mentioned under the heading of smart home section in the alexa app.
Thanks and cheers

I returned my Echo. The main reason was because I did not like the heavy Indian accent of the Alexa voice. You can change to voice to a different accent, but then you can't use any features like Skills, etc. I like to have a neutral accent, and I found the forced "Indianness" of the new Alexa voice very offputting. Since I could not change the type of accept and still retain functionality, I ended up returning it. Happy to stick with Siri for now.

LOL... that's how everyone in India speaks.

Not like you can escape it on the street or on the job.

Better to buy off Banggood , They cost arnd Rs1100 ea including shipping and try not to buy too many in 1 order to avoid customs.

I have received the 2 Yeelight RGB LED yesterday from banggood. There was some offer and price was Rs.927/each. Done the setup with Yeelight App. It was easy. But Alexa could not find any smart device. I have done restart of the bulbs and changed the server to "Singapore" in Yeelight App. Done the setup again and this time Alexa could find the device. All working through Alexa now.

I have received the 2 Yeelight RGB LED yesterday from banggood. There was some offer and price was Rs.927/each. Done the setup with Yeelight App. It was easy. But Alexa could not find any smart device. I have done restart of the bulbs and changed the server to "Singapore" in Yeelight App. Done the setup again and this time Alexa could find the device. All working through Alexa now.

Amazon Alexa supports only the ZiggBee protocol enabled smart devices and not the Z wave, may be that is the reason.

I received my Amazon Echo Plus yesterday only and the first impression is fantastic as far as sound quality is concerned. Yet to test with smart devices. Shall update soon.

Amazon Alexa supports only the ZiggBee protocol enabled smart devices and not the Z wave, may be that is the reason.

I received my Amazon Echo Plus yesterday only and the first impression is fantastic as far as sound quality is concerned. Yet to test with smart devices. Shall update soon.

Yeelight is working directly with Alexa. No hub is needed. It is plug and play.
Zigbee is needed if the smart devices need a hub, something like Philips Hue.

which bulb is brighter (white light)........... philips hue/Yeelight or any other? if we compare with regular CFL 14W at home.

which bulb is brighter (white light)........... philips hue/Yeelight or any other? if we compare with regular CFL 14W at home.

the yeelight is 600 lumens and the philips is 800.

if brightness is a concern get the https://www.amazon.in/Slampher-sonoff-433MHz-holder_Work-thermostat/dp/B074L1Y843?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=4a7be527-19e4-4a3a-85f5-c6388c5d196f

and then attach a led upto 20w that will be way brighter and cheaper

Hey People,

Question on alexa and the echo Plus :

Has anyone got a Echo plus as well as an echo dot ( multiple echo devices and one with the built in hub)

If yes can they control the smart lights etc from an echo dot ? as in, though the command is issued from the echo dot but the echo plus from the same account will carry out the command.

Lol... But i think Indian accent is its USP in the sub-continent. You can still use us/uk accent but naturally you got to 'match her' to be able to use skills, especially indian music.

Lol... But i think Indian accent is its USP in the sub-continent. You can still use us/uk accent but naturally you got to 'match her' to be able to use skills, especially indian music.

Can't agree more on that. Infact Kudos to Amazon for releasing Echo with indian accent rather than just selling US product as it is. There must have been lot of work done to make it india friendly.

Hey People,

Question on alexa and the echo Plus :

Has anyone got a Echo plus as well as an echo dot ( multiple echo devices and one with the built in hub)

If yes can they control the smart lights etc from an echo dot ? as in, though the command is issued from the echo dot but the echo plus from the same account will carry out the command.

Firstly the Echo Plus is not recommended, only works with Zigbee and hence extremely limited devices work with it.

And yes, all Echo devices are interconnected, so speaking commands to a non-hub Dot should still work.

Firstly the Echo Plus is not recommended, only works with Zigbee and hence extremely limited devices work with it.

And yes, all Echo devices are interconnected, so speaking commands to a non-hub Dot should still work.

Should be fine as all the devices i want it to work like sonoff, yeelights and broadlink are working with it

Thanks,

I chose Echo Plus after much thought. More and more smart devices to have Zigbee protocol in the future. Echo Plus is having the most powerful speaker amongst the three variants, great for listening to music too other than being a personal assistant.

Sonos One with Alexa launched recently too pricey at present.

Hi All,

I just bought the Amazon Echo last week and it is a fantastic device. I also have Philips Hue which I had bought a couple of years back. I was using them till last year when I completely renovated my home and now since i have false-ceiling and LED lights in them I am unable to use the Philips Hue.

But leaving this apart, my query here is, re there some kind of IOT switches available in the mkt which I can connect them to my false-ceiling LED lights and use them through Alexa? So I am basically looking for IOT swithces with compatibility to Alexa.

Thanks and sorry if I have hijacked the thread.

Ordered Fire Stick and Echo Dot 2 during this Black Friday sale.

Response from Yonomi. Hopefully they will launch soon. Yonomi - Harmony integration seems to work fine.

Hi there,

Thanks for checking out the app and for reaching out.

Support for Alexa & Echo in India is high on priority list and something we're hoping to be able to launch soon.

We don't have an exact timeline just yet, but it is a priority for us and we're working hard to deliver Alexa support to India.

Thanks,

Yonomi Support
Update:
Yonomi and Samsung Artik cloud skills available for IN now. Yet to try.

Hi All,

I just bought the Amazon Echo last week and it is a fantastic device. I also have Philips Hue which I had bought a couple of years back. I was using them till last year when I completely renovated my home and now since i have false-ceiling and LED lights in them I am unable to use the Philips Hue.

But leaving this apart, my query here is, re there some kind of IOT switches available in the mkt which I can connect them to my false-ceiling LED lights and use them through Alexa? So I am basically looking for IOT swithces with compatibility to Alexa.

Sonoff seems to be an option for you.

Hi All,

You can look at devices from brand sonoff on Aliexpress. They claim to work with Alexa and Google home. Have good reviews too.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back