Ambilight for projector screen!

Santy

This is an RGB LED strip bought for just less than Rs. 2000 in a local light shop.

Rs. 150 per metre for 8 metres + dc adapter + power cord + choke with remote. Just about Rs. 600 more than single color light without remote.
Using it as 'ambilight' for my DIY projector screen.:licklips:

We can change the colors automatically in flash/ fade transitions (and control its speed ). A single color can also be selected in shades of red/ blue/ green and their mixtures. The luminance also can be controlled. It has got a sticker tape on its back so its easy to fix it.

It is behind the screen so it does not affect the contrast of the picture on the screen. Some light still can bounce of the walls onto the screen but I can always reduce the intensity of the LED. Power consumption is negligible compared to what is drawn by pj, avr.

This I believe can also reduce the stress on the eyes to a good extent, since flashes in the video watched in dark room can affect the eyes. I am quite impressed with the way it has enhanced the aesthetics of the setup. Funny enough, the remote frequencies of my media player remote clashes with that of LED, so it changes color whenever I navigate or play/ stop etc.. :D

Only drawback is that it reveals the imperfections of the wall finish.

This clip is from my mobile camera so colors are not accurate. It actually looks much better than it is in the video.

Optoma HD66 on 98" DIY fixed screen with RGB LED ambilight - YouTube

Yes, that gives a very good effect. Also, it make the screen look dynamic even when not in use.

I am planning to install one when I change the screen.

Nice, I was thinking of doing this. In what pattern have you put it?

Thanks yrk but I am not clear about your query?

Can you give some in how to place it behind the screen?

Usually the fixed screens are made without any gap between the wall and itself. In my case that was how it was designed, but due to slight bend in the frame, the stress on the ply ripped off the laminate. So I had fix an additional wood frame around it and replace the laminate. This gave me a 1.5 inch gap from the wall around the peripheral of the frame. On the front side, this forms the black border.

See this pic I made in photoshop to understand what I am trying to say.

frame.jpg

2012-04-17210737.jpg

So unless the frame is not designed accordingly, concealed backlight will be out of question. Also there should be atleast 1 inch gap from the strip to the all, otherwise you can see the light blobs instead of seamless ray. Hope this helps.

Thanks yrk but I am not clear about your query?

Usually the fixed screens are made without any gap between the wall and itself. In my case that was how it was designed, but due to slight bend in the frame, the stress on the ply ripped off the laminate. So I had fix an additional wood frame around it and replace the laminate. This gave me a 1.5 inch gap from the wall around the peripheral of the frame. On the front side, this forms the black border.

See this pic I made in photoshop to understand what I am trying to say.

frame.jpg

2012-04-17210737.jpg

So unless the frame is not designed accordingly, concealed backlight will be out of question. Also there should be atleast 1 inch gap from the strip to the all, otherwise you can see the light blobs instead of seamless ray. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed explanation

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back