Amp enclosures/chasis cabinets

Knobs and switches at the front of course. Yes, if using an aluminum rod extender for volume pot, this layout may not work, without a rod, it might but the wires will not be the shortest. I use 7" long shielded cables in my preamp into the volume pot and there no artifacts to SQ that make me want to change it. Lets wait for Siva's opinion.

I'd keep it simple and have only the power switch and LED(s) on the front panel, since this is a pure power amp. Volume control can be retained as a pre-amp or source function.

However, those who want to use a LightSpeed attenuator or just a plain ganged pot may want a volume control on the front panel.

Regarding pricing, the MyRef monoblocks are Rs.1.5k each, firm. The Trafo can range from Rs.500 to Rs.3k, depending on whether you want EI or toroidal, and the VA rating. All the rest is going to be chassis components, heatsinks, connectors, cabling, etc., for which the pricing can vary greatly depending on size, finish, etc.

Heatsinks at Amar Radio: They're extruded aluminium heatsinks from Success Electronics, Maharashtra. The largest ones are SE205, SE215 and SE270, where the number denotes the length (longest dimension) in mm of the heatsink. In the context of the design posted by Quad, that would be related to the Depth of the cabinet.

Siva,

Can you kindly provide a ball park figure of the amp, using the best components & including vol pot for the amp to be used as an int amp?

Siva,

Can you kindly provide a ball park figure of the amp, using the best components & including vol pot for the amp to be used as an int amp?

What happens if anyone wants to build the amp as a dual mono-with two trannies , one for each channel? Will the enclosure permit that?

If they're toroidals, you could possibly stack them one on top of the other and use a single bolt to fasten them in place. Of course, this would require the height of the enclosure to be sufficient for two stacked toroidals + some clearance.

The ball-park range could be in the region of Rs.4k to Rs.10k+. The low-ball figure can be reached using an EI-core trafo and a Dexa chassis. The high-ball figure would use a Miracle 300 VA toroidal, Alps pot, custom enclosure, gold-plated MX connectors for both the RCAs and the speaker outputs, and heavy-duty heatsinks as shown in the pic of the big F5-like cabinet.

The ball-park range could be in the region of Rs.4k to Rs.10k+. The low-ball figure can be reached using an EI-core trafo and a Dexa chassis. The high-ball figure would use a Miracle 300 VA toroidal, Alps pot, custom enclosure, gold-plated MX connectors for both the RCAs and the speaker outputs, and heavy-duty heatsinks as shown in the pic of the big F5-like cabinet.

And a remote for the lazy ones :rolleyes: ?

Get a trained monkey to turn the volume knob when you call out the DB levels of your choice ... it will be easier :eek:hyeah:

I was totally prepared before posting :eek:

But on a serious note is it too complicated or totally useless ?

I was totally prepared before posting :eek:

But on a serious note is it too complicated or totally useless ?

Cost. Shell out money and its possible to get ready made remote volume kit for about +200$. However SQ is adversely affected by motorized circuitry.

Trained monkey will not affect SQ (unless it screeches constantly) ... :D

cheers

Get a trained monkey to turn the volume knob when you call out the DB levels of your choice ... it will be easier :eek:hyeah:

Cost. Shell out money and its possible to get ready made remote volume kit for about +200$. However SQ is adversely affected by motorized circuitry.

Trained monkey will not affect SQ (unless it screeches constantly) ...:D

Little Red Devil is really singing.:D

alright "volume knob" it is (no trained monkey please)

... can we move on now ? :p

But thanks for bringing this [remote volume control] up. I thought that the "remote" option would be expensive and didn't bother to even look it up but once I did, found that the price was not a lot - relatively speaking.
Afterthought: Mr.Bajaj of Norge offers his amps. w/o remote control but if you want a remote control, he charges Rs.1000/- xtra. So somewhere in India this is available for around Rs.1000/- :cool:

But thanks for bringing this [remote volume control] up. I thought that the "remote" option would be expensive and didn't bother to even look it up but once I did, found that the price was not a lot - relatively speaking.
Afterthought: Mr.Bajaj of Norge offers his amps. w/o remote control but if you want a remote control, he charges Rs.1000/- xtra. So somewhere in India this is available for around Rs.1000/- :cool:

I actually got the idea of remote after visiting norge website .

Grr..! And I was about to start a business of renting out trained audiophile monkeys .... :mad: :eek:hyeah:

:)

I think, the width of the chassis needs to be wider than just space for 2 PCB's arranged side by side.
IMO, it should be at least wide enough to comfortably accomodate 3 PCB's side by side + enough spacing between them

This will take care of the following:
  1. Space for a pre-amp/lightspeed board if needed [current or future]
  2. Space for 2 toroids arranged side by side [current or future]
  3. Enough ventilation if needed
  4. ...

My gut says that this amp is going to be a keeper so let's not skimp :p

I think, the width of the chassis needs to be wider than just space for 2 PCB's arranged side by side.
IMO, it should be at least wide enough to comfortably accomodate 3 PCB's side by side + enough spacing between them

This will take care of the following:
  1. Space for a pre-amp/lightspeed board if needed [current or future]
  2. Space for 2 toroids arranged side by side [current or future]
  3. Enough ventilation if needed
  4. ...

My gut says that this amp is going to be a keeper so let's not skimp :p

Add 5 inches on the sides for heatsink fins and it may become too long to fit into a conventional rack. So a 14" wide chassis will take the full 19" in the end...

-G

Grr..! And I was about to start a business of renting out trained audiophile monkeys .... :mad: :eek:hyeah:
:)
You can start separate thread for that. I confirm to rent one trained monkey. Do you have any who can change CDs ? :lol:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back