Amplifier for ATC SCM 40

samirk

I am getting new ATC SCM40 soon. I am looking for matching amplifier. I have accuphase e460 in mind but also want to keep my eyes open on other equally good or better amp.

Please can I get some suggestions? Any thoughts on Goldmund 390.2 amp?

Budget is around 4-4.5 lac.

Thanks

How about the symphonic line RG10 Reference integrated amp? Or if you can spend a bit more the Kraftwerk integrated will be all you will ever need.
In the Goldmund, the memises int amp is very nice
Cheers
Sridhar

I'd say symphonic line. I've heard the same speaker with a symphonic line and it had a beautiful synergy to the sound. The RG10 or the Kraftquelle would go really well with the speaker.

anm: I am actively looking into ATC pre/power combo. I have heard good things about it, but it seems getting demo in India is difficult.

Any idea who sells these gears in India?

PM Odyssey above. He's the india distributor. The SCM40 is a fantastic speaker but needs very careful partnering with good electronics and cables. With the wrong amp, it can sound quite unforgiving.

Good luck with the amp hunt. What source are you planning to partner it with?

Excellent speakers there Samir....An Accuphase would be a great match as it is a high current amp with enough power....Also I think the tubey/mellow sound of Accuphase should gel very well with the accurate ATCs....

I am using the scm 40 with quad 909 + PM1 Tube pre. Me and Abhi had compared this with his symphony amp and didnt find a req for changing the amp, more over i am planning to biamp using another 909

anm: I am actively looking into ATC pre/power combo.

That is a fantastic choice, match made in heaven. I've heard SCM 19 and 40 with their own pre power and integrated and it sounded very satisfying in many genres of music. The amp also had a very clean sound.

You should also look their integrated amp SIA2-150.

That is a fantastic choice, match made in heaven. I've heard SCM 19 and 40 with their own pre power and integrated and it sounded very satisfying in many genres of music. The amp also had a very clean sound.

You should also look their integrated amp SIA2-150.

I spoke to ATC tech guy, he suggested pre+power combo over integrated. Though price difference is hardly 250 gbp more in combo. Combo cost 3069 GBP in UK.

Last edited:
I spoke to ATC tech guy, he suggested pre+power combo over integrated. Though price difference is hardly 250 gbp more in combo. Combo cost 3069 GBP in UK.

My friend had a very bad experience pairing ATC with Musical Fidelity + Plinius. He also tried a pre tube with Plinius and in frustartion sold everything. He said everything was so revealing and in your face.

So my friend forum opinions can only act as pointers or reference posts. Do take your favourite CD for critical and extended listening.

--
helium
SB Classic> Lyrita DIY DAC Philips TDA1543 > Lyrita SET GM70 + PMC TB2/ Vintage highly modified B&W DM4 > Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

My friend had a very bad experience pairing ATC with Musical Fidelity + Plinius. He also tried a pre tube with Plinius and in frustartion sold everything. He said everything was so revealing and in your face.

So my friend forum opinions can only act as pointers or reference posts. Do take your favourite CD for critical and extended listening.

--
helium
SB Classic> Lyrita DIY DAC Philips TDA1543 > Lyrita SET GM70 + PMC TB2/ Vintage highly modified B&W DM4 > Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

I fully agree. I am not sure if MF is good pair for SCT40. I had auditioned them with Thiel 2.4 and did not like at all. Same experience as you mention, coming on face. and bright.

I'd say symphonic line. I've heard the same speaker with a symphonic line and it had a beautiful synergy to the sound. The RG10 or the Kraftquelle would go really well with the speaker.

Which symphonic line would you suggest? RG1/RG2 combo or RG10 reference?

Thanks

Goldmunds are an excellent match for the ATCs. I have listened to this combo (Goldmund CDP, Goldmund Preamplifier with ATC SCM50 active speakers) for many hours at a friend's place and I found it to be a made for each other gears. Cinema Focus in Chennai are the national distributors. Get in touch with them and I am sure you will find the right product for your speakers. All the best :)

CINEMA FOCUS
New Decor Towers,
No.71 (Old No.42) Dr.Radhakrishnan Salai,
Chennai - 600004. INDIA
Phone : 91-44-28117722, 28117755
Fax : 91-44-28117585
E-mail:[email protected]

tubey mellow sound of the 460 accu?
hmm.... ive heard them with the Avalons, theils and watt puppies
didnt find anything tubey in that

i would say is more of a solid , authoritative, clean amp .
Doesnt roll off highs but doesnt sharpen them either

BTW the accu and the RG10 are both super amps
you wont need to look further
happy auditioning

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back