Amplifier Selection

The Wall

Hi All,

I own a Marantz 5004 CD player.
I wish to couple it with an amplifier (upgrade from the Norge 1000). Would it be a good idea to go for a Marantz amp(like PM5004). I also had CA in mind.
I wish to drive BS speakers with it.
My budget would be under 30K.
Would be very helpful to receive valuable suggestion on the above.

Well I use a Denon pma 510ae with a Marantz cd player and trust me, it sounds stunning.. But i dont think much people will second that option., But take an audition, its always worth a try..

Its 70W pc at 4ohms.. Its powerful bro.. Compared to all the other amps in the same budget its a nice buy.. Specially if you are into heavy metal and rock this one can impress you

Go For Denon 710 or Marantz PM6003,,, Both Marantz amp and CDP will make a good pair though,,, both aethetically and sound quality wise....

Hi,

I checked with Marantz 6003 , it is no longer manufactured by them, in place there is Marantz 5004 , which is not available and the dealer (SKS) is quoting around 27K which is obscenely high.
I am tending towards the following combo :
CA Azur 550A with BS Aviano 2
or I have the Marantz 5004 which i can order from outside.
Now the comparing point is Marantz 5004 is 45 RMS while CA 550A is 60 RMS.
I have auditioned the 550A with the BS Avaiano , they sound great.
Can forum members help on this.

Last edited:
Hi,

I checked with Marantz 6003 , it is no longer manufactured by them, in place there is Marantz 5004 , which is not available and the dealer (SKS) is quoting around 27K which is obscenely high.
I am tending towards the following combo :
CA Azur 550A with BS Aviano 2
or I have the Marantz 5004 which i can order from outside.
Now the comparing point is Marantz 5004 is 45 RMS while CA 550A is 60 RMS.
I have auditioned the 550A with the BS Avaiano , they sound great.
Can forum members help on this.

Are you sure you are talking about 5004 & not 6004 ? By the way i bought marantz pm 6002 brand new box packed with bill & warranty for 16.5k a month back in Goa. I think the basic specs about sound production are fairly similar between 6002/3/4. Sound signature is also same. I knew that its a discontinued model but thats the trick. You get discontinued models with almost same specs at cheaper rate. You should be lucky enough to have that model in stock. The same model was selling at 20k-24k while it was running.
Ripples audio:9326141848 or 0832-3245481.

Hi jaudere,

Thanks , I was talking about this model :

Marantz US | PM5004

Now you have made some suggestion, can you tell me where the shop you have mentioned , is located ? Seems like Goa, now the challenge is to make a connection between Goa and Kolkata.

Its in Margao. He was ready to courier it to me if i pay. But i personally picked it up because i stay in Panjim. Talk to mr Rupesh whose mobile i have given. He will give you some good deal. Talk to Viola from mumbai as well. 022-2612112. Their prices helped me to negotiate with Mr Rupesh.

By the way i am suprised by the quote you got for 5004. 5 series is supposed to be lower than 6 series. The quote seems to be okeish for 6 series. Additionaly 6 series was at 45w/ch and 5 series at 35w/ch.

Interestingly, in the link provided i could not find any mention about 6 series. Is it because i am browsing using my mobile or is it because its US Site?

About pricing,the same shop had quoted 25k for the same machine in Nov10. Came down to 18.5k after negotiation. For some reason,i was too busy to look into music system. Then in May i had some time. By that time he had forgotten me. This time he quoted 16.5k after bit of negotiation and i happily agreed.

These amps are built to work for years. Just because it was discontinued an year back,it doesnt lose any functionality. So i went for it. But one has to be sure its new box pack &not demo piece. Even demo pieces are good(if taken from showrooms where you know they care for the products). You can get it even cheaper.

Hi All,

Had a talk with Denny from Bass n Treble , in Dwarka ,N.Delhi. He informed me the Marantz 6003 is expected around 15th of this month . Now my question is , how safe would it be buying from there and getting it couriered to Kolkata , Denny quoted me 26k for the amp.
Hence how good is the quote and how is Bass N Treble as a dealer ?

Hi Thanks for the advice,

I do not think you have missed much !
I need to finalize on an amp and BS combo
Was left with little option then MS Aviano + CA combo as I was not getting much else in Kolkata
Am basically looking for the Marantz 6003 to pair with my CP player and again for the BS speakers , am try to finalize a pair (alas , want to have more time to audition them)
Did i mention 30 K budget at any point for the amp ?

Hi,

You can also audition KEF Q300, EPOS (their new bookshelves), as also new bookshelves from DALI before you take a call.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back