Another Altec Build

Very interesting effort in progress here! For us Plug and Play people, DIY looks pretty initimidating :)

Rajiv - any changes in your setup from the last time?

Good to see progress on your build buddy. What plan have you finalised?

Most probably the Onkens, but they are just massive. I think I need to visit Rajiv's place to see the size of his altecs and if he gives the plans for those then maybe those. Still contemplating on the cabinet.

It was nice to meet you in the Chennai meet, put a face to the name after so many emails and phone call exchanges.
Likewise, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Rajagopal

Good meeting you last weekend, and also good to see things taking shape.
Good to meet you as well George.

Hi,

Most probably the Onkens, but they are just massive. I think I need to visit Rajiv's place to see the size of his altecs and if he gives the plans for those then maybe those. Still contemplating on the cabinet.

Rajagopal, sent you the plans(email) for the Bill Woods half horn cabinet that I use.

Regards
Rajiv

Thank you for the plans Rajiv. Please let me know when you are back, I would like to drop in for another listen if you dont mind.

B Rgds,
Raj.

Hi,

Rajiv - any changes in your setup from the last time?

A few, since you last visited.

I have added the Lyrita DHT pre,converted the 2A3 to poweramp and finally found a super tweeter to mate with the Altec 288 mid/hf drivers.

The Thorens TD124/Ortofon has replaced the Linn LP12 on the vinyl front.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Thank you for the plans Rajiv. Please let me know when you are back, I would like to drop in for another listen if you dont mind.

I am back in town.

We are getting the house painted. The contractor/painter has promised to start in a couple of days:rolleyes: . So listening may not be possible unless you are OK with sitting in a room with cartons and furniture piled up all over.

After a very long time, finally had a free weekend. Got around to cutting some plywood. Made the JE Labs open baffle. The whole things sounds really good now, a huge difference the open baffle is making.

IMAG0069.jpg

Changes from Last time:

1. Separated the GM70 Pre & Power Stages
2. Added a SAE 4000 2 Way Crossover
3. Made the JE Labs open baffle

The chain is a bi-amping setup now

Source -> GM70 Pre Stage -> SAE 4000
For HF Horn -> GM 70 Power Stage
For LF OB -> Topping Tripath Amp

Plans are to get a 2A3 Power Amp from Lyrita for th HF and Replace the topping with the GM 70 Power Stage.

My back is hurting like hell, but my ears are loving it!

I had Bill ship it to my friend in Seattle who in turn shipped it through DHL lower valued and without insurance.

B Rgds,
Raj.

Hi Rajagopal, if you ever require any parts for any Altec, Jbl, EV vintage or any American or European speakers. I can provide you parts and service here in India. I can provide you authentic and genuine parts from abroad here in India.
I hold dealership to most of the parts vendors and suppliers abroad.
Do not hesitate to communicate or discuss any loudspeaker related problems.
I had those same Altec parts in stock with me which you had acquired from abroad.

Hi,

if you ever require any parts for any Altec, Jbl, EV vintage or any American or European speakers. I can provide you parts and service here in India. I can provide you authentic and genuine parts from abroad here in India.
I had those same Altec parts in stock with me which you had acquired from abroad.

Sidewinder18x,would you happen to have original replacement diaphgrams for the RCA MI9584 drivers (phenolic),and the JBL 075 tweeters?

Ali !, are you talking about Samara Ali in Ritchie street, Chennai. He knows me very well, tho its been years since we met last.

Yes, the one and only Samara Ali.

Sidewinder18x, would you happen to know Mr. Rao the service engineer from Gaumont Kalee,he was based in Calcutta for nearly 40 years?

Regards
Rajiv

Here is some shots of the Altec parts in my stock. This one has an aluminum dust cap. The surround treat compound is also available with me. It is a white thick water soluble compound which dries into clear shiny tacky finish.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sidewinder18x,would you happen to have original replacement diaphgrams for the RCA MI9584 drivers (phenolic),and the JBL 075 tweeters?
Regards
Rajiv

I will inform you next week about the RCA MI9584 , once I get any report from my supplier from the US. Chances are nil for those. Still will find about any close substitutes.
As for original JBL ones are discontinued. Hence an aftermarket one might be possible.

Hi Rajagopal, if you ever require any parts for any Altec, Jbl, EV vintage or any American or European speakers. I can provide you parts and service here in India. I can provide you authentic and genuine parts from abroad here in India.

Hi Sidewinder,
Would you have re-cone kits for Altec-515Bs?

Hi Sidewinder,
Would you have re-cone kits for Altec-515Bs?
Yes I had them, but are sold for now.:sad: I am re-ordering parts this week. If you want them I can get them for you.:) But before that ..... tell me how many do you want ?. Do you have old remains of the 515B cones ?. If yes, I will need the cone number which is stamped behind the cone. From time to time they have changed cones. Cone number will help identifying the accurate parts needed for your 515. Can you post some pics ?. I will wait for your reply. You can also contact me thru e.mail.
id .... [email protected]
mob: 9331927102.
Vivek

Response Curves

Taking off from the showcase thread, I have been busy with setting up the new room. Finally got around to installing windows on my mac air and got trueRTA running. Thought I will share the response curves with you folks. I was surprised at the output.

76sn.jpg

Hi,

Rajagopal,though the RTA curve shows a dropping response when I listen to your speakers I don't feel that the bass is lacking to the extent shown in the curve.

You can build the Western Electric TA-7331 cabinet and install your second pair of Altec 416 woofers in them,to fill in below 200hz. The TA-7331 is a H type open baffle and is supposed to sound very good.

Western Electric TA-7331 | Wolf von Langa

K7331 Konstruktion | Wolf von Langa

Here is one with the Altec 803(803 is an earlier version of the 416).

Breitb?nder

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=7616.1200

TA7331---0 | Hifi Shock

Regards
Rajiv

Almost -20dB attenuation at vital Low frequency response around 50Hz. What type of bass you guys are listening to in actual or maybe your music liking is not having bass heavy content. Huge cancellation is already occurring and measurements just proved them.

Last edited:
Almost -20dB attenuation at vital Low frequency response around 50Hz. What type of bass you guys are listening to in actual or maybe your music liking is not having bass heavy content. Huge cancellation is already occurring and measurements just proved them.

Forget about that for a second and look at the resolution, 1 octave. IMO the graph is meaningless. No smoothing and a 30db window would make a lot more sense.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back