Another Altec Build

Hi,

Almost -20dB attenuation at vital Low frequency response around 50Hz. What type of bass you guys are listening to in actual or maybe your music liking is not having bass heavy content. Huge cancellation is already occurring and measurements just proved them.

I know what I am hearing.:) and there is certainly good bass at least down to 60hz.

I suspect that the mic on the Mac Air is dropping off below 200hz.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

If you think its microphone issue, please check with it. Would love to see if the response really gets down to 60hz without the attenuation.

regards,
Kanwar

Hi,

If you think its microphone issue, please check with it. Would love to see if the response really gets down to 60hz without the attenuation.

Below is a link showing the mic.response of the iPhones and you can see the response dropping below 200hz. Apple would have used similar mics in their laptops. I do not see Apple using better specd mics in their laptops.

iPhone 4 Audio and Frequency Response Limitations ? Faber Acoustical Blog

There are many people who have used Altecs in similar open baffles and all all report of having good bass down to 60hz and below.

Here is Yamamoto's take on this baffle design.He claims response down to 35hz.

Welcome to Adobe GoLive 5

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Why not get a decent MIC capsule and get the actual FR in better way, what is the point in using a mic which is lacking in itself?

Why not get a decent MIC capsule and get the actual FR in better way, what is the point in using a mic which is lacking in itself?

This was done as fun. I don't have past experience with this. Have a friend who has the complete pro measurement setup, will have him come home and do the measurements proper. Give me a couple of weeks.

Finally on Sunday I got around to setting up the altecs on a couple of chairs, with a couple of capacitors (in parallel to total 20uF) for the HF and a 1.3mH inductor for the LF connected straight to the wires. The horns are local fiberglass horns, a temp till I can decide which horns to go with.

Was thinking its going to sound really awful but then it was really surprising to hear them do very well. Music was flowing effortlessly and there was a lot of detail, though sometimes the string instruments were in the backgroud rather than in the front. The high were a little harsh, but there was surprisingly good bass, not the really tight and heavy hip hop kinda bass but then enough for the blues that I listen to.

The Setup
20121015_083512.jpg

Left Channel
20121015_083541.jpg

Right Channel
20121015_083553.jpg

Still running on Ali's Diaph on the HF and Local Paper on the LF.

B Rgds,
Raj.

Hi Rajagopal you got nice Fullrange speakers behind Altecs :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back