Anthem Room Correction in AV setup.

rbalagopalan

I had so many Audio gears in my HT set up in the Living Room. The biggest challenge is getting the Acoustics right in the Living Room. So the best solution is going in for Room Correction with the help of the built in software feature in the AV receivers / Processors.

In this connection I had tried many brands / models in all price bands.

look at my this thread

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/47854-my-home-theater-journey.html#post543098

Ultimately nothing could beat Anthem's Room Correction. The main difference between all other system and the Anthem is, your AV receiver / processor should be connected via PC / Lap Top and once you simulate correction the computer takes over through the installed software (which is included with the sales pack). So it is almost like professional calibration that is being carried out in many IMAX and PVRs. Anthem has made it so much calibrated that the serial No. of the each software CD and the Calibration Mic should be the same as they are factory paired and calibrated.

The net result is phenomenal. I am attaching the pictures of the Graphical translation of the Room correction effected by my Anthem D2v processor. In the attached Image the Blue dotted line is the target - Red is measured from the room - Green is achieved after calibration. In fact you may not be able to find the Blue dotted line as the calibrated Green line is almost falling on the Blue. Which means the calibration is so much accurate, and the main thing is it does calibration each channel separately and it has got Two different calibration for Movie and Music. Don't worry it is not that this high end Processor of Anthem only can do this, The ARC kit and the software for their MRX receivers are also the same and you will get the same result in their receivers also.

Before buying this processor I did do this trial with a MRX 300 and 500 receivers in my own set up and after getting satisfied only I ventured out in investing so much on their processor.

So the moral of the story - whom ever has got their set up in Living room and not satisfied in the Sonics and Acoustics can blindly go in for Anthem MRX receivers if they can travel the extra mile of initial investment in the cost. Be sure the difference in the cost that you have to pay is a fragment considering the scale of investment that you have to make on Acoustics in your Living room to achieve the same amount of results.

NOTE: This is purely my experience and this may differ from room to room and setup to setup which is a well known story to all HT lovers. I am no way a dealer for any of the Electronics especially Anthem and I don't endorse their product by this thread, this is purely posted for the benefit of the members. The attached picture is not clear if any one is interested I can mail it in PDF format.

Last edited:
In the attached Image the Blue dotted line is the target - Red is measured from the room - Green is achieved after calibration. In fact you may not be able to find the Blue dotted line as the calibrated Green line is almost falling on the Blue.
Just so people understand, the Green line is the predicted response, not an actual measurement; it's what Anthem thinks the response will be post-equalization.
Which means the calibration is so much accurate, and the main thing is it does calibration each channel separately and it has got Two different calibration for Movie and Music.
ALL room corrections calibrate each channel separately. Audyssey room correction also has Movie and Music settings (sometimes labelled Audyssey and Flat, respectively). Same goes for Trinnov room correction, for example, in the Sherwood 972 receiver.

Just so people understand, the Green line is the predicted response, not an actual measurement; it's what Anthem thinks the response will be post-equalization. ALL room corrections calibrate each channel separately. Audyssey room correction also has Movie and Music settings (sometimes labelled Audyssey and Flat, respectively). Same goes for Trinnov room correction, for example, in the Sherwood 972 receiver.

Yes you are 100% right, the software projects the graphical illustration of green line based on the correction that it will effect to the parametric equalizer.
In fact I am also curious to acquire some other measuring device with supported software to exactly measure the improvement pre and post calibration.

But the fact is in my experience of room calibration only Anthem's ARC could bring noticeable and audible improvement compared to others.

In fact I am also curious to acquire some other measuring device with supported software to exactly measure the improvement pre and post calibration.
You can buy a USB mic inexpensively ($75 USD) that can plug directly into your laptop:

UMIK-1 | MiniDSP

One of the best software suites for measuring is available as a FREE download:

REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

REW software will recognize the miniDSP mic and load the correction tables so you can start getting accurate measurements right away.

But the fact is in my experience of room calibration only Anthem's ARC could bring noticeable and audible improvement compared to others.
Which others have you tried?

There is some difference between the room correction in high end Anthems and MRX. I've forgotten the details, but MRX does not correct above 5 KhZ or so, IIRC. I can't find the Audioholics or Secrets of Home Theater review that talks about the differences, unfortunately.

No, how is it possible cause ultimately the EQ has to be set in the Receiver. So your PC will not be able to communicate with AVR provided the manufacturer provides that feature like Anthem.

I am asking to use only microphone,connect to PC,check the frequency curve,set accordingly manually in AVR and run the software again to confirm correct results.It will be time taking,but may be accurate.

Folks -
I just upgraded from a Denon 2106 to a 2113 (and therefore to the world of Audyssey)
Besides better amplification and connections, I wanted to test Audyssey capabilities. My room has anutone treatment for ceiling and part of front wall, plus diffusion in the front wall as well.
1. First off, I turned off audyssey and manually calibrated speaker distances, speaker type, crossover etc using Avia calibration disc. (The receiver was in direct mode which means all DSP are bypassed)
2. I turned on Audyssey and did an automatic 4 point calibration and readjusted the speaker distances, type, crossovers etc to what I had manually setup using Avia

Here is my observation:
In direct mode (all DSP shut off)
1. The sound actually has more balanced tonal quality with more clarity in the mid range.
2. The highs are smoother with little or no shredding (Anutone absorbs better at high frequencies)
3. Long hours of listening produced lesser fatigue
In Audyssey FLAT mode:
1. The setup seemed to undo the room treatment effect and the overall sound was noticeably brighter
2. The highs seemed more pronounced. At times it felt the treble response was overly high
3. Bass came on very loud (Possibly because of Audyssey dynamic volume)
4. Mid range was subdued
5. the bright sound was fatiguing over long hours of listening...
6. The surrounds were louder than they should (again dynamic volume at play)

Clearly, Audyssey room equalization has corrected the low and high frequencies. But I also felt that some of that additional processing made the sound muddy and the sound image felt blurred. I now listen to my music in DIRECT mode and the sound is closer to what I expected of the treated room. Maybe I am missing something with Audyssey but clearly, room treatment gave me better results!

ps: My tools included:
1. Radioshack digital SPL
2. Avia Calibration disc
3. Hell freezes over DVD (for 5.1 music sample)
4. Dire straits Communique remastered Audio CD(for stereo sampling)
5. Lagaan Audio CD (again for stereo sampling)

My equipment is:
1. Ageing Polk Audio Monitor 60 + CS2 + Monitor 30
2. New Denon 2113 upgraded from 2106
3. Sony 500GB PS3 set to oversampling Audio CD at 172 Khz over HDMI
4. Optoma HD20 full HD Projector with Optoma 106" retractable screen

Cheers
Navin

Folks -
My room has anutone treatment for ceiling and part of front wall, plus diffusion in the front wall as well.

Clearly, Audyssey room equalization has corrected the low and high frequencies. But I also felt that some of that additional processing made the sound muddy and the sound image felt blurred.
Cheers
Navin

Hi Navin good you have done a study in Audyssey room correction and presented exhaustively here for the benefit of the members.

In my OP I had mentioned clearly that my HT set up is in my living room where I just can't imagine of Acoustics / room treatment. So had to opt only for electronic way of room correction.

Any day physical room treatment is far superior to electronic room correction, but at the same time physical room treatment is easier said than done. A wrongly done treatment is going to have more adverse effect than the benefits, for example a overly done treatment may end up in dead sounding room, in which case you have to multiply your amplification to get the desired out put and so on. So it is highly important to have the right thing in the right place when it comes to Room Treatment.

IMO in your case I feel Audyssey has done its duty by un doing your treatment by referring to its reference level. Since you have already done exhaustive room treatment you just don't need room correction, (in case your not satisfied and thinking of better result) all you need is the right thing at the right place to achieve the optimum results.

I am making a point once again clear here that room correction is only an option and not a solution.

R. Balagopalan

Folks -
I just upgraded from a Denon 2106 to a 2113 (and therefore to the world of Audyssey)
Besides better amplification and connections, I wanted to test Audyssey capabilities.

And why are we discussing Audyssey in an Anthem thread? Stop posting OT

okay, i know this is not going to go well with you guys, recently heard Ant mx 310 and yam aventage A1030 in a dedicated HT setup. Before we started, i felt he had over done acoustic making it a little dead as a clap died faster than i would have liked, anyway thats a debate on it own, but the main thing is we calibrated both mx310 and A1030, Yamaha was a clear winner and i was really surprised, bcos when my friend told this i did not believe it and i wanted to personally hear it.

Movie: I felt the Yamaha had more life and it was more enjoyable whereas the mx310 was little dead and lifeless

music: no match for A1030, music was good in Yamaha and Anthem was no match, again same feeling, anthem was ok but yamaha had lot of life.

the speakers used was cm8, CM CENTER, and CM5.

The point of this post is not be-little Anthem, as both are great products in their own right but once again it shows there is no system which meets all needs. It varies based on the environment, taste, and personal preference.

The only surprise was i always thought ARC was the best and did not have a lot of respect YPAO, and now i stand corrected with respect to Yamaha.

Anthem with Martin Logan speakers at Mumbai Expo didn't impressed me either.I felt the sound close to higher series of Onkyo.
Yamaha gives more details and natural sound.Yamaha earlier avantage series also didn't impress us in avenue sound Mumbai meet in dedicated room.I think new series is must listen as A730 is reported to have better sound quality.
Yamaha RX-A730 Network AV Receiver | Sound & Vision

WOW! Glad to find more people who ain't impressed by Anthem :p
I thought I was the odd one only ;)
Even the much touted 2 ch Anthem 225 Stereo amp felt flat on its face & is certainly not deserving the positive reviews its got.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back