DIRAC LIVE & DIREC LIVE BASS CONTROL

rainbowsong2000

Dear all,

DIRAC and DIRAC LIVE BASS CONTROL being one of the world class calibration solution and most of the AV receivers/ AV Processors being moving to this solution.

Iam starting this thread to discuss & help each other on better calibration.

I have ARCAM AV41 with DIREC LIVE BASS CONTROL, which elevates my movie watching experience better than any movie theater.

Happy to discuss and calibrate with fellow users

Cheers 😊

Dear all,

DIRAC and DIRAC LIVE BASS CONTROL being one of the world class calibration solution and most of the AV receivers/ AV Processors being moving to this solution.

Iam starting this thread to discuss & help each other on better calibration.

I have ARCAM AV41 with DIREC LIVE BASS CONTROL, which elevates my movie watching experience better than any movie theater.

Happy to discuss and calibrate with fellow users

Cheers 😊
Thanks for creating this very apt thread. It's really time to move the discussion from Audissey Multieq 32XT to Dirac now.

I just had 2 doubts regarding Dirac live correction in the Arcam, as under mentioned :

1) Does it allow manual setting of speaker levels.
2) Does it allow manual PEQ settings for each speaker if desired.

I tried searching the above, but could'nt find a definitive answer, as my previous experience with Dirac, was that it was a automated correction system, which allowed a target curve, but not fine PEQ adjustments that Audyssey allowed. Thanks in advance for your time :)

Thanks for creating this very apt thread. It's really time to move the discussion from Audissey Multieq 32XT to Dirac now.

I just had 2 doubts regarding Dirac live correction in the Arcam, as under mentioned :

I tried searching the above, but could'nt find a definitive answer, as my previous experience with Dirac, was that it was a automated correction system, which allowed a target curve, but not fine PEQ adjustments that Audyssey allowed. Thanks in advance for your time :)
Thanks Manohar!

Using Dirac Live you cannot adjust the speaker levels, but you can adjust the Dirac adjusted speaker levels in the AVR or Processor (Like we do with Audessy). However you cannot change the cross over through AVR or Processor, you need to adjust the cross over in Dirac Live.

Yes, you can adjust the PEQ levels of individual speakers in DIRAC Live

Additional Info: Dirac Live have three level of adjustments
Dirac Live: Will adjust/calibrate all the speakers and provide the ability to modify the PEQ. But, it will not have the option to adjust the crossover.
Dirac LIVE BASS Management: This level have both Speaker calibration and cross over adjustment feature.
Dirac LIVE BASS Control: This module of DIRAC live to be purchased with additional cost for most of the AVRs and Receivers, this is where the AI and ML magic happens, which corrects phase & time of subwoofers with all the speakers. (The same can be achieved using Minidsp and Multisub optimisation software) but takes lot of learning and time.

Thanks Manohar!

Using Dirac Live you cannot adjust the speaker levels, but you can adjust the Dirac adjusted speaker levels in the AVR or Processor (Like we do with Audessy). However you cannot change the cross over through AVR or Processor, you need to adjust the cross over in Dirac Live.

Yes, you can adjust the PEQ levels of individual speakers in DIRAC Live

Additional Info: Dirac Live have three level of adjustments
Dirac Live: Will adjust/calibrate all the speakers and provide the ability to modify the PEQ. But, it will not have the option to adjust the crossover.
Dirac LIVE BASS Management: This level have both Speaker calibration and cross over adjustment feature.
Dirac LIVE BASS Control: This module of DIRAC live to be purchased with additional cost for most of the AVRs and Receivers, this is where the AI and ML magic happens, which corrects phase & time of subwoofers with all the speakers. (The same can be achieved using Minidsp and Multisub optimisation software) but takes lot of learning and time.
Thanks for your detailed replies, all clear now :)

Great thread. I have a very basic question. For most common users who are not tech, Audyssey helps in setting up the speakers automatically once you plugin the mic and move it at 8 different positions. In that way, how easy it is to run Dirac for them, so that they don't have to manually fiddle around it ?

Great thread. I have a very basic question. For most common users who are not tech, Audyssey helps in setting up the speakers automatically once you plugin the mic and move it at 8 different positions. In that way, how easy it is to run Dirac for them, so that they don't have to manually fiddle around it ?
Hi Murlidhar,

Audessy - Works by connecting the MIC with the AVR and measures the speaker vitals

DIRAC- You need to connect the MIC in the laptop which is connected to internet and the AVR/Processor connected to same home network. Basically the processing or measuring of DIRAC happens at their servers located across globe. So basic computer knowledge might required compare to Audessy.

Otherwise you will do the same ritual of placing the mic at various positions similar to Audessy

DIRAC:
LAPTOP(INTERNET)---->MIC----->AVR/PROCESSOR (Connected to same home network)

Audessy:
MIC----->RECEIVER

Hi Murlidhar,

Audessy - Works by connecting the MIC with the AVR and measures the speaker vitals

DIRAC- You need to connect the MIC in the laptop which is connected to internet and the AVR/Processor connected to same home network. Basically the processing or measuring of DIRAC happens at their servers located across globe. So basic computer knowledge might required compare to Audessy.

Otherwise you will do the same ritual of placing the mic at various positions similar to Audessy

DIRAC:

Audessy:
MIC----->RECEIVER
Ok got it. I guess this can be performed by most of us. My follow up question (hopefully the last question)

Do we still have to tweak few db's, points etc., post measurement or once the processing is over, the user need not understand the measurement to correct them but just apply the settings and it's done?

Hi Murlidhar,

DIRAC:

Audessy:
MIC----->RECEIVER
Do we need to keep MIC at sitting place? Sorry i dont have knowledge on either Audessy or Dirac.

Ok got it. I guess this can be performed by most of us. My follow up question (hopefully the last question)

Do we still have to tweak few db's, points etc., post measurement or once the processing is over, the user need not understand the measurement to correct them but just apply the settings and it's done?
Again Similar to Audessy you can tweak the dbs based on your ears if you want. Or you call leave as it is. Purely upto the user.

The best part about dirac, is the remote correction possible by professional dirac consultants. If one is really serious, you can install "team viewer" on your laptop or pc, for someone like Mr.Terry Ellis ( He runs the pursuitperfectsystem youtube channel ) to take remote access of your calibration, and he can do it and tune the sound to your liking. I've read reports that he can improve the overall sound between 10 to 20% with his experience. But I have no personal experience, and just sharing if someone wants to go down that path. And then share their experience for the benefits of others.

What ever fees he might charge will pale in comparison to the overall cost of the system. Atleast we can rest in peace that we got the max out of the system :)

Below is a link to Terry Ellis's Dirac live remote calibration service. You can see the systems he has done before, and there is a contact page to right where you can fill in your details, and he will get back to you via email.

If someone uses the above, please share your feedback :D

How different is Dirac from Audessey EQ? Does it justify the steep price tag it has? I am contemplating to ipgrade my AVR & the contenders are Integra DRX 3.4 with Dirac Live and Marantz Cinema 50 with paid Dirac support. I haven’t taken any demo yet. But if Dirac is that great then I will have inclination towards Integra 3.4. But I don’t know if I have to quantify then how much improvement I’ll get over Audessey in Dirac.

How different is Dirac from Audessey EQ? Does it justify the steep price tag it has? I am contemplating to ipgrade my AVR & the contenders are Integra DRX 3.4 with Dirac Live and Marantz Cinema 50 with paid Dirac support. I haven’t taken any demo yet. But if Dirac is that great then I will have inclination towards Integra 3.4. But I don’t know if I have to quantify then how much improvement I’ll get over Audessey in Dirac.
Adding the full dirac suite to the marantz cinema 50 will be almost USD 800 extra i think. Will have to wait for someone who made the move from audessey to dirac on a cinema 50 to make out the difference sadly. I think Dirac ART will be another paid upgrade when it gets launched. Finally, we will all end paying more for room correction than the actual amplification. Funny how most of the modern AVR build budget goes to licensing these newer technologies than into the components.

Ive read that upgrading to the additional PC based Audyssey multieq-X is a noticable improvement on the standard version. If you havent tried the paid smart phone app, then it is also worth while in my opinion, as it allows you to limit the frequency range of correction. I limited my correction to around 700hz and found that it did sound better to my ears.

Adding the full dirac suite to the marantz cinema 50 will be almost USD 800 extra i think. Will have to wait for someone who made the move from audessey to dirac on a cinema 50 to make out the difference sadly. I think Dirac ART will be another paid upgrade when it gets launched. Finally, we will all end paying more for room correction than the actual amplification. Funny how most of the modern AVR build budget goes to licensing these newer technologies than into the components.

Ive read that upgrading to the additional PC based Audyssey multieq-X is a noticable improvement on the standard version. If you havent tried the paid smart phone app, then it is also worth while in my opinion, as it allows you to limit the frequency range of correction. I limited my correction to around 700hz and found that it did sound better to my ears.
Excellent. Integra has bundled the licensing fees of Dirac in its cost hence its included and you need not pay any extra bucks which is untrue in case of matantz cinema 50

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back