Anyone have experience ordering vinyl from HMV Japan? What are the duty charges like for India?

acemachine26

They have a few titles up for pre-order that I'm interested in at considerably cheaper prices than UK stores, but I'm not sure what the duty charges would be.

Customs duties are usually 45 to 50% on the cost of purchase + shipping. So if you paid $100 for buying the records and another $100 for shipping then your duty will be around $90 to $100. However there have been instances where a much lower amount of duty has been charged. It all depends on your luck I have given you the worst case scenario above

Customs duties are usually 45 to 50% on the cost of purchase + shipping. So if you paid $100 for buying the records and another $100 for shipping then your duty will be around $90 to $100. However there have been instances where a much lower amount of duty has been charged. It all depends on your luck I have given you the worst case scenario above
Yeah, I'm wondering if I should get it from a UK site where it's priced at £44.24 including shipping or from HMV Japan where it's priced at ¥6,000 with shipping. Either way I'll have to pay duty.

@acemachine26
Customs duty in B’lore is a crap shoot.
I’ve ordered stuff from US, UK, China, Japan and Russia, and there is zero consistency in duty rates. Certain sites in China and Russia will let you set the invoice amount. But UK and Japan are more stringent. And if the shipment is via DHL, be prepared to shell out more.
If you’re very keen on the albums, add another 50-75% to the total. If you’re ok with the final figure, go ahead and order. That way you won’t have to worry about sticker shock.

@acemachine26
Customs duty in B’lore is a crap shoot.
I’ve ordered stuff from US, UK, China, Japan and Russia, and there is zero consistency in duty rates. Certain sites in China and Russia will let you set the invoice amount. But UK and Japan are more stringent. And if the shipment is via DHL, be prepared to shell out more.
If you’re very keen on the albums, add another 50-75% to the total. If you’re ok with the final figure, go ahead and order. That way you won’t have to worry about sticker shock.
Thanks for the info! CDJapan has a "mark as gift" option so I ordered it that way via EMS shipping. Let's see if that reduces the duty charges in any way.

I think, now the duty is as much as 75% of the invoice + shipping.

I think, now the duty is as much as 75% of the invoice + shipping.
I think this is if you don't have your IEC code registered which you need to import or export.

Forgive my mistake if it's called something else

Thanks for the info! CDJapan has a "mark as gift" option so I ordered it that way via EMS shipping. Let's see if that reduces the duty charges in any way.
Not sure this is a good idea. Back in 2020, I had visited the FPO (Foreign Post Office) in Bangalore to dispute grossly overvalued duty on a record - that visit ended well for me. But coming back to marking a purchase as a gift, this is what I saw pasted on the wall:
7200BC43-AB77-488A-BF32-2C9B032686DB.jpeg

Not sure this is a good idea. Back in 2020, I had visited the FPO (Foreign Post Office) in Bangalore to dispute grossly overvalued duty on a record - that visit ended well for me. But coming back to marking a purchase as a gift, this is what I saw pasted on the wall:
View attachment 76666
I see, thanks for the info. 77% seems to be around what I paid in the past for a record from Japan, and that wasn't even marked as a gift. Anything below 50% duty from Japan seems alright considering past orders. Also what if it really was a gift? I won a record in a giveaway and it's on its way from the US right now, don't think I would be paying that much on duty for it if asked to.

Also, wasn't aware that you could dispute grossly overvalued duty, might be going to the FPO regularly in that case because even orders from the UK seem to have way too much duty these days.

Last edited:
Shipment sent through which Courier?
Royal Mail.
I also had my friend sending me dozens of vinyls that I bought from Amazon UK and delivered to her home. She would pack them in vinyl mailers, 2 to 3 at a time. No duties levied, only postage. Worked out cheaper than buying in India. Plus they were releases not available in India.

Also, wasn't aware that you could dispute grossly overvalued duty, might be going to the FPO regularly in that case because even orders from the UK seem to have way too much duty these days.
The record I had bought was worth about 80 USD including shipping and I got slapped with CD of 15k INR! They had looked at the shippers' insured value of 500usd and mistakenly charged customs on that value.

This is what I did to dispute that error:
Refuse to collect the parcel and tell your postman/local po you're returning it for reassessment of customs duty. Give that in a written letter to the PO stating why you believe it should be re-assessed.
The parcel will go back to the FPO in a few days. Go visit the FPO and follow up with your request to make sure it's going through.
In my case it took 3 weeks but it worked - CD was marked down to a reasonable value and the parcel came back for delivery

When we buy something from Amazon sites outside India, then shipping and customs duty are included in the purchase price on amazon
Only £10 was charged per vinyl mailer, each holding 2 vinyls. No duties were charged either by Amazon or by customs office here.

It is. most don't have an ICE code.
Can an application for an IEC code be made in a personal capacity to import any audio gear since the duty is much lesser ?
I guess it applies only for commercial usage. Can someone pls clarify this. Thanks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back