Anyone using 2.35:1 screen setup with the Anamorphic lens?

eummagic

Hi all,

Just curious if any of our members is having a projector with the 2.35:1 screen using Anamorphic lens.

In fact, this is in my dream for long and still not made me settle for one due to budget constraints. But have already started to save fund towards my dream and hopefully of making it happen within 6 months.

If you members have this kind of setup, I have some doubts to make myself clear about the whole thing.

1) Does anamorphic lens works for Bluray with the 2.39:1 ratio inside the 1.78:1 ratio.
2) Since bluray 1080p has black bars on top & bottom for a 2.35/2.39: 1 ratio movies. How will the anamorphic lens stretch the image to the full width of the 2.35:1 screen size.
3) Or, like Iam doing now - downloading mkv formats 720/1080p with the aspect ratio of 1280 x 544 or 1920 x 816 etc. Will these be the perfect companion for projecting it thro' the anamorphic lens and the image projected to fill the 2.35:1 screen perfectly.
4) Kindly suggest me some decent 1080p projectors (LCD or DLP - which is best?) around 1.5L and also any specific brands for anamorphic lens (and price) which is compatible to the projector.

Thanks in advance...

Hi all,

Just curious if any of our members is having a projector with the 2.35:1 screen using Anamorphic lens.

In fact, this is in my dream for long and still not made me settle for one due to budget constraints. But have already started to save fund towards my dream and hopefully of making it happen within 6 months.

If you members have this kind of setup, I have some doubts to make myself clear about the whole thing.

1) Does anamorphic lens works for Bluray with the 2.39:1 ratio inside the 1.78:1 ratio.
2) Since bluray 1080p has black bars on top & bottom for a 2.35/2.39: 1 ratio movies. How will the anamorphic lens stretch the image to the full width of the 2.35:1 screen size.
3) Or, like Iam doing now - downloading mkv formats 720/1080p with the aspect ratio of 1280 x 544 or 1920 x 816 etc. Will these be the perfect companion for projecting it thro' the anamorphic lens and the image projected to fill the 2.35:1 screen perfectly.
4) Kindly suggest me some decent 1080p projectors (LCD or DLP - which is best?) around 1.5L and also any specific brands for anamorphic lens (and price) which is compatible to the projector.

Thanks in advance...

Congrats n best of luck for your HT build. For anamorphic projection, you need to buy a PJ w/ vertical stretch (since horizontal stretch anamorphic lenses are common) or stretch using some external processor or an HTPC. For this, the content w/ maximum vertical resolution most preferred. The lens cost will be towards North from 2000$. (The best VFM lens will be the MKIII from Cavx, is compared to some >4000$ lenses.). Moreover try to build a curved screen so that in 2.35:1 stretching the most flaws comes at the borders. The curve will cover up these flaws and will give you a different visual experience, almost similar to theater screens.

For those who are interested in anamorphic lens, read through the following article:
http://www.zuggsoft.com/theater/prism.htm
This article discusses about the DIY option also.

Last edited:
I think sajith is getting ready for 2:35:1 , he has done lot of research...thanks good info !

As i told in one thread, i would have gone for it very early if I had started constructing my house instead of going for an apartment. I was into DIY projector building and had made it using Lumen Lab lens. During that research I had gone through this topic also. Since the box size is a constrain in my living room eventually I had settled for a ready made projector, from Canada (720p native and accepts till 1080i) which is based on the same DIY design (Reflector > HID Lamp > Condenser Lens > Fresnel Lens > 5" lcd > Fresnel Lens > Triplet PJ Lens.) I had to spend only 16.5k including an extra bulb and HDMI cable. Eventhough it cannot be compared to high end projectors, it should perform reasonably well with HD and DVD content w/ HTPC using some video scalars like FFDShow. Its still with my friend, I will be getting it by tonight.

Last edited:
chk the reviews for mitsubishi HC 3800, says anamorphic lens support ,mode1 /mode2 (16:9 /2.35:1 ) without the need for external sled

chk the reviews for mitsubishi HC 3800, says anamorphic lens support ,mode1 /mode2 (16:9 /2.35:1 ) without the need for external sled

"... The HC3800 projector however has two anamorphic modes, the usual, designed to work with the lens for Cinemascope movies, and the second mode, so you can watch everything else without removing the anamorphic lens. In other words no motorized sled needed). "

You dont have to buy an expensive motorised lens kit. Motorised kit will work based on the format being played. As per the review, Mode 2 can be used to view all kind of formats w/o removing the lens from the light path. In this case a manual lens will be enough. But i am not sure about any picture difference in mode1 and mode2. Also make sure what does the mode1 and mode2 does to the picture technically.

As i told in one thread, i would have gone for it very early if I had started constructing my house instead of going for an apartment. I was into DIY projector building and had made it using Lumen Lab lens. During that research I had gone through this topic also. Since the box size is a constrain in my living room eventually I had settled for a ready made projector, from Canada (720p native and accepts till 1080i) which is based on the same DIY design (Reflector > HID Lamp > Condenser Lens > Fresnel Lens > 5" lcd > Fresnel Lens > Triplet PJ Lens.) I had to spend only 16.5k including an extra bulb and HDMI cable. Eventhough it cannot be compared to high end projectors, it should perform reasonably well with HD and DVD content w/ HTPC using some video scalars like FFDShow. Its still with my friend, I will be getting it by tonight.

HI,
I have also read lot of review and DIY of PJ's on lot forums,but seems to most of the people are not happy with that same.. I look forward to recieve the results what you are acheiving...Interesting one.. do post some pics...by the by where you are living?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance...

You got some answers from Cmsajith.

For Q4) Best bet for anamorphic setup is PanaAE4000.. Still any PJ will do with anomorphic lenses, since because or feautures i am suggesting this..

Panasonic AE4000 -- Home Theater Projector Review

Thanks to all for responding, unfortunately Iam accessing net from outside since Iam on business tour. So frankly not visited the valuable links provided by you all. I will definitely have a thorough study about these. Meanwhile can you suggest me some compatible projectors (1080p with approx price) with these anamorphic lens.

Thank you once again.

was reading posts in one of the forums (audioholics , i guess) in that there is a guy who has an awesome 2.35:1 screen with a hd65 optoma pj , he bought the anamorphic lens @ e bay for 200$

on chking ebay there are plenty of lenses for sale @ 200 to 500$
is this possible , if so what is the kind of lens needed 35mm /16mm

any suggestions

Cmsajith will respond to this... just tell what are the things are needed..

anamorphic lens, great deals on Cameras Photo, Electronics on eBay!

I am not sure about those lenses. Most of them are attachments for the Digital video cameras and camcoders. Also it says 16:9 lenses, i think it is for using w/ 4:3 PJs to fill a 16:9 screen. I could find one from Panamorph U80 (not sure, i think it has liquid filled prisms) and this can be used for 2.35:1. I couldnt find much info on this and this was discontinued long back. Need more digging...

Also checkout this : http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748418

Another thing we need to consider while going for a CIH (forgot to mention in the previous posts), is the subtitles location. There should be some provision either at the source or in the PJ to relocate them, as it usually comes in the black bottom portion of a 16:9 screen.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for all inputs. Regret the delay in responding since Iam not in Chennai and have been assigned in Kerala. So, only get access from public net centres.

I happened to see the Panasonic PT-AE4000 which has a very interesting feature the 2.35:1 aspect mode and a memory setting to remember the 16:9 and 2.35:1 lens position. Also has a auto switching which switch to either 2.35:1 or 16:1 based on the input material.

I know that this feature is not the equivalent for anamorphic lens but does the job economically.

Panasonic AE4000 -- Home Theater Projector Review

Your comments pls...

I have heard AE4000U pany Projector -1080 P is avialable with 2.35:1 setup

has any one used it ???

Yes I have installed the same for our client and yes it does have the lens for this format but here it would not convert your 16:9 source to the 2:35:1 format for that you require an external lense or your source should be in anamorphic format.

I too am looking for a Anamorphic solution for my HT. I shall be going for a new projector and a anamorphic lens. I have not yet finalized either of the two yet.

But, I can tell this to all - Anamorphic is the way to go. The experience is mesmerizing. Sadly, there isn't much discussion on our forum for suitable projectors and lenses for the same.
@Cmsajith: Your knowledge on the above subject is remarkable. May I ask you to suggest a few projectors and lenses that can be used for anamorphic viewing experience.

Sumit.

Hi guys,

What I read from the reviews and manual of Panasonic PT-AE4000 is that if we intent to use a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen then initially setup required two lens position to be stored in the projector memory. 1) for 2.35:1 aspect ratio i.e by playing a 2.35:1 sample and then adjusting the lens and store into memory 2) for 16:9 aspect ratio again by playing a 16:9 sample and readjusting the lens position and storing to memory. Once this is done there is setting in projector to assign the two values for 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios with auto detect feature turned on.

Now how does this anamorphic emulation works......

The projector by default is 16:9 ratio, so while playing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie there will be still black bars on top and bottom. The anamorphic emulation feature of the projector zooms in the 2.35:1 portion to fill the 2.35:1 screen (for which we have initially adjusted the lens position and memorised). Likewise while playing a 16:9 aspect ratio sample we adjust to fit inside the 2.35:1 screen. So the lens zooms out to adjust the 16:9 portion in the 2.35:1 screen. So, there will be black bars on the left and right of the movie.
Whenever, anyone these two aspect ratio movies are played the projector automatically adjusts the lens position based on our stored value. Cool!

The pros:
1) Saving equivalent cost of the projector for anamorphic lens.
2) Enjoying the 2.35:1 aspect ratio
3) Need adjust the lens manually since the same can be memorised and adjusted automatically by detecting the source.
4) Anamorphic lens can be fitted for real effect.

The cons:
1) It still uses only 75% of the projector light output in 2.35:1 mode as the top and bottom bars are appearing above and below the 2.35:1 screen which is unnoticed while viewing.
2) Cannot match the real anamorphic lens quality

Can I go ahead with this system considering my budget can now buy me only the projector? And since anamorphic lens add-on is possible, I can purchase the same later on. Till such time I have be convinced with the anamorphic emulation feature.

What you guys say....

Depending on how many hours of DVDs you watch either one of 2:35 or 1.78 you will be left with a compromise. Anamorphic emulation is a fancy term for the manual zoom functions you get with standard HDTVs.

If you watch a mix of std/classic aspect ratio TV then you will end up with the vertical bars anyways.

One format is not better than the other but the "best" compromise when you watch the spectrum of formats is the 16:9 for sometime to come.

Hi guys,

What I read from the reviews and manual of Panasonic PT-AE4000 is that if we intent to use a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen then initially setup required two lens position to be stored in the projector memory. 1) for 2.35:1 aspect ratio i.e by playing a 2.35:1 sample and then adjusting the lens and store into memory 2) for 16:9 aspect ratio again by playing a 16:9 sample and readjusting the lens position and storing to memory. Once this is done there is setting in projector to assign the two values for 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios with auto detect feature turned on.

Now how does this anamorphic emulation works......

The projector by default is 16:9 ratio, so while playing a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie there will be still black bars on top and bottom. The anamorphic emulation feature of the projector zooms in the 2.35:1 portion to fill the 2.35:1 screen (for which we have initially adjusted the lens position and memorised). Likewise while playing a 16:9 aspect ratio sample we adjust to fit inside the 2.35:1 screen. So the lens zooms out to adjust the 16:9 portion in the 2.35:1 screen. So, there will be black bars on the left and right of the movie.
Whenever, anyone these two aspect ratio movies are played the projector automatically adjusts the lens position based on our stored value. Cool!

The pros:
1) Saving equivalent cost of the projector for anamorphic lens.
2) Enjoying the 2.35:1 aspect ratio
3) Need adjust the lens manually since the same can be memorised and adjusted automatically by detecting the source.
4) Anamorphic lens can be fitted for real effect.

The cons:
1) It still uses only 75% of the projector light output in 2.35:1 mode as the top and bottom bars are appearing above and below the 2.35:1 screen which is unnoticed while viewing.
2) Cannot match the real anamorphic lens quality

Can I go ahead with this system considering my budget can now buy me only the projector? And since anamorphic lens add-on is possible, I can purchase the same later on. Till such time I have be convinced with the anamorphic emulation feature.

What you guys say....

both of these features are available in Mits 3800, only that the settings are not remembered which reatils around $1150
For more clarity please download manuals for both the prjs and confirm..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back